Options

University Challenge 2014-15

Comments

• Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started off thinking he was cocky but I think now hes nervous

He is nervous. Cocky people wouldn't fidget like he does.
  • Options
    RrosesRroses Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paxo was rather generous with one of the answers as well, they answered a place and he needed the country given (or other way round, can't quite remember ), then Paxo prompted him for a second answer. Normally he would only accept the first answer, even if it's clear the person probably knew the correct answer. "I asked for the ........etc etc " is a common refrain when this happens.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rroses wrote: »
    Paxo was rather generous with one of the answers as well, they answered a place and he needed the country given (or other way round, can't quite remember ), then Paxo prompted him for a second answer. Normally he would only accept the first answer, even if it's clear the person probably knew the correct answer. "I asked for the ........etc etc " is a common refrain when this happens.

I'm of the opinion Paxo has mellowed over the years on this programme, or maybe lately "he just can't be arsed."

At one time, a spotty faced contestant, first time on TV, friends family and particularly their mum watching, giving a wrong answer, would be occasionally be rebuked with a dismissive or withering remark from Paxo, but not so much now.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Gabriel Trueblood sounds like a character out of Dickens or Thomas Hardy.
    It may be nerves but did find his fidgeting with the cord extremely distracting.

It's infuriating!
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    henry_hope wrote: »
    He is extraordinary. Even his guesses are right!
    What a mind.
    Great name for a medical student as well!
    Z Stardust wrote: »
    I wished he'd stop playing with the cord on his hood thing though!

I think he will be a rather brilliant doctor and maybe consultant one day.
    "Yes, Mr Trueblood will be performing your procedure today. You're in good hands!"
    As long as he has stopped his nervous fiddling of course. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm of the opinion Paxo has mellowed over the years on this programme, or maybe lately "he just can't be arsed."

At one time, a spotty faced contestant, first time on TV, friends family and particularly their mum watching, giving a wrong answer, would be occasionally be rebuked with a dismissive or withering remark from Paxo, but not so much now.

Well he seemed to fall for the fawn like charms of Ms Drew as previously remarked and even after she hesitated in reciting lines of a poem. In darker older days he would have said " Next time answer as soon as you buzz or I'm docking points!"

"....oh and what are you doing after the show......?:blush:"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I think he will be a rather brilliant doctor and maybe consultant one day.
    "Yes, Mr Trueblood will be performing your procedure today. You're in good hands!"
    As long as he has stopped his nervous fiddling of course. :D

But will he stop fidgeting with his stethoscope?

-
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it that he needed both city and country, and as he normally does, prompted for the missing bit of the answer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just give the trophy to Gonville and Caius already.
  • Options
    Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect Trueblood and co will do very well - who knows even the mysteriously silent Armatige may burst into action with a flurry of correct answers in the final!
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody carnage going on now!

315 to 55! Ouch!
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    That was one impressive performance. Magdalen College is going to be hard to beat.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

315 to 55! Ouch!

Magdalen College have won UC 4 times, the record!
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The two on the captain of Trinity's right said nothing other than their names & what they're studying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The two on the captain of Trinity's right said nothing other than their names & what they're studying.
    The guy did answered once, but got the wrong answer. The girl looked embarrassed.

The problem for Trinity is that Magdalen were too quick with the answers, and they didn't get the chance to say much.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Magdalen have been my favourites from the start (or actually since the audition process programme) and had a feeling early on they'd do well. Quinn being quite the the star player.

I'd been particularly looking forward to seeing them go against Trinity after the Trinity team's reserve said, "If I wanted an easy life I would've gone to Oxford," in a particularly smug tone. It didn't disappoint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy seated on the very right on the Magdalen team looked so miserable throughout , you'd think it was his team that was being thrashed.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it always Oxford tho.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    The guy seated on the very right on the Magdalen team looked so miserable throughout , you'd think it was his team that was being thrashed.

Quinn.

He laughed and smiled at other points during the contest. I think he was trying to temper his expression so as not to appear smug when being told he was correct with his answers. Unfortunately it does give the impression of being a bit miserable. He should just relax a bit and not worry about how he comes across on screen.

He's easily my favourite of all the students this series, anyway.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cameron J Quinn is amazing: he has an impressive breadth of knowledge. I'd be surprised if they didn't win the entire thing now. Would love to know what career he ends up in...
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Cameron J Quinn is amazing: he has an impressive breadth of knowledge. I'd be surprised if they didn't win the entire thing now. Would love to know what career he ends up in...
    Perhaps there's a decent sideline as a Tom Cruise lookalike? I wonder how tall he is.

He was pretty impressive.
  • Options
    MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    That was one impressive performance. Magdalen College is going to be hard to beat.

Them vs Gonville and Caius... An evening to remember.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They should skip all the episodes and go straight to final with this match-up.

I will be surprised if it's not these two teams going to final.

I prefer G&C more though...I find Cameron a bit smug.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I 'd bet on Magdalen to win, they seem the overall stronger team.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

315 to 55! Ouch!

I think that's the worst result I've ever seen. I was squirming.
    Paxo was very charming afterwards.