Best foundation?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
Forum Member
Hello, looking for some advice.

Need to buy a new foundation, but not sure which will suit me best. I had a Bobbi Brown one, went to the counter, let the woman there choose the best one for me etc. and it just makes me look like Casper - v. white and shiny. I orignally opted for Bobbi Brown as lots of people recommended it to me, but I'm open to change!

I don't want to look heavily made up etc. I just want to look natural and as though I don't have lots of spots. I think I have normal skin, (doesn't seem dry) but get a few black heads / spots on my T-zone.

Will go to a counter and let the assistant choose shades etc. but I'm just wondering what you guys out there think to be the best brand to go with?

Comments

• malspiemalspie Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried using the Bobbi Brown stick foundation? It looks natural yet giving good coverage. Also doubles as a concealer if used a bit heavier on blemishes, undereye circles etc. (not that I'm saying you have them!) It comes in a variety of colours. If you're buying in-store, try some testers on your neck, go outside into the daylight with a small mirror and then decide which colour blends in with your natural skintone. Another good one for your skin would be Elizabeth Arden mousse foundation. Hope this helps.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAC face and body make-up is a good one :)
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm I was wondering if you could maybe go back to a counter and tell them that they picked the wrong shade for your skin and could you swap it for a colour that suits you better, and ask to go out in daylight to check it or something?
    I use Bobbi Browns skin foundation and I find it good, but it seems a bit yellow for my skintone, I got sand 2. I think I should have gone for the pinkier one.
    Macs face and body foundation is good, its really light and water based, I used it for ages before Bobbi Brown. I like Bourjois 10hr effect too, it's cheap but just as good :)
  • xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have two on the go. For special ocasions Clinique superbalanced and for everyday Rimmels 18hr one. Both excellent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love maybelline mousse foundation... It gives a light coverage thats not too masky - The only thing with that is that you dont tend to get shop assistants willing to match your shade - Although superdrug tend to do tester pots of them!
  • cymrugirlcymrugirl Posts: 3,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Prescriptives. I went to the counter at Selfridges and she was pretty good at matching my skin color.
    I got matched to the pre-mixed foundations but you can pay about £40 I think if you want them to mix a special one just for you. The normal pre-mixed ones are about £24 but if you are having trouble then it might be worth paying the extra to get them to make up a formula just for you. I've got the virtual matte foundation and coupled with the lancome primer, doesn't make my skin look shiny.

Laura Mercier is good too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone, I ended up going out before I got these replies though but good advice all the same! I went to the Mac counter in Selfridges and told the girl what I was looking for, she put 2 shades on me that were both orange! I told her this and she said "well they are the closest to your skin, you won't find any closer than this" so I went away disappointed, but not as disappointed as I would have been spending £50 on foundation and powder that make me look orange.

Anyway, my sister and I decided the best tactic was to stand in the centre and look at all the counter assistants and decide which ones looked the best in terms of their make-up and go and tell them I wanted to look like them, and lo and behold I ended up ack at Bobbi Brown. Explained about the last foundation I had, she set me up with a new one and some powder and a cover stick, and I got an AMAZING gel eyeliner and brush thrown in for free. Gel eye-liner - highly recommended BTW if anyones looking for a new one. Wore it out last night and checked the photos and am dead pleased with it!

Hope this will be useful to someone who is having a similar dilemma. Thank you to everyone who replied!
  • cymrugirlcymrugirl Posts: 3,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you got it sorted out OTD - I've always liked Bobbi Brown products and it looks like I might have to switch back myself since I just heard Prescriptives are closing branches at the end of January! eep!