Options

Premier Sports HD

Comments

• Options
    ocoxocox Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Premier Sports has four-year contract with NHL expiring October 2016 so maybe BT will do so when the rights come up for grabs.
    http://ukhockeyfan.wordpress.com/2012/07/05/uk-nhl-coverage-secured-for-4-years/

Does anyone know when their NASCAR rights end?

I would love it to go back to Sky (and it would be in HD).
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocox wrote: »

Be careful what you wish for. Sky coverage of NASCAR in the past was so tedious and annoying!!
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fine, if you want the pre and post-race coverage replaced by a panel of "experts" (and I use the term loosely) who know very little about NASCAR discussing proceedings in a London studio, and you don't mind losing the in-car feeds shown during ad breaks, as these will be replaced by said panel and/or Sky's own ads, and also jumping into a commentary mid-sentence as Sky are notoriously bad at missing the cues as to when it's time to shut the London panel up and return to the host broadcasters commentators.
  • Options
    packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    Be careful what you wish for. Sky coverage of NASCAR in the past was so tedious and annoying!!
    Exactly..just like their NFL coverage is and their NBA coverage was. Thankfully BT / ESPN took on the NBA contract.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I would love to see nascar on espn/BT I think that would be a good pull for them.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

According to Wikipedia, the Premier Sports contract expires this year.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_broadcasting_contracts_in_the_United_Kingdom
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Fine, if you want the pre and post-race coverage replaced by a panel of "experts" (and I use the term loosely) who know very little about NASCAR discussing proceedings in a London studio, and you don't mind losing the in-car feeds shown during ad breaks, as these will be replaced by said panel and/or Sky's own ads, and also jumping into a commentary mid-sentence as Sky are notoriously bad at missing the cues as to when it's time to shut the London panel up and return to the host broadcasters commentators.

This ^

I do wish Sky would shut up and leave us to watch the sport like BT Sport & ESPN does.
    I do not want to hear what some arse who's never played the sport in question has to say from a studio in London. They destroyed the NBA coverage and the NASCAR coverage was so bad i stopped watching it.
  • Options
    ep1987ep1987 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    This ^

I do wish Sky would shut up and leave us to watch the sport like BT Sport & ESPN does.
    I do not want to hear what some arse who's never played the sport in question has to say from a studio in London. They destroyed the NBA coverage and the NASCAR coverage was so bad i stopped watching it.

They did have ex-pros for the NBA coverage but i agree. Their studio coverage is ok for the NFL as they can show highlights from other games Sky's one size fits all approach of always adding their own studio coverage is tiresome.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Yes I would love to see nascar on espn/BT I think that would be a good pull for them.

Yes a motor sport with a minor following would bring in loads of additional subscribers (rolls eyes)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ep1987 wrote: »
    They did have ex-pros for the NBA coverage but i agree. Their studio coverage is ok for the NFL as they can show highlights from other games Sky's one size fits all approach of always adding their own studio coverage is tiresome.

If you want to promote a sport in the UK having there own study team is beneficial as it can information to rookies who are new to the sport. Also, with US sports there are more breaks than are allowed in the UK (due to differing regulations) so even if you don't overly enjoy the studio segments they are better than pointless filler.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Sky showed the in car coverage while they were on breaks in the UK
  • Options
    packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    If you want to promote a sport in the UK having there own study team is beneficial as it can information to rookies who are new to the sport. Also, with US sports there are more breaks than are allowed in the UK (due to differing regulations) so even if you don't overly enjoy the studio segments they are better than pointless filler.

Well BT shows NBA and MLB with no uk studio coverage. No problem..and means we don't get studio yapping over the game and or missing action.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Well BT shows NBA and MLB with no uk studio coverage. No problem..and means we don't get studio yapping over the game and or missing action.

And thank heavens they don't either. Its perfect the way it is.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,949
    Forum Member

That would be a reasonable approach but only up to a point. However, most US sports are now reasonably familiar to UK audiences and in any event I don't see much of Sky's NFL coverage being aimed at "rookies" but rather at British aficionados of the sport. The main advantage of the UK studio team is to cover the excessive ad breaks in the US with something more useful (such as in the NFL case updates from other games). The main disadvantage is that the UK studio coverage tends to be less glossy and sharp than comparable US coverage with weaker experts and fewer resources. I also get rather tired of Sky's NFL team's obsession with the Wembley games and associated events and talk of a UK franchise.

Too much of the "Wow, I'll be rubbing shoulders with Andrew Luck at the fans rally in Oxford Street in 4 weeks time" (only really of interest to those who will be there and bought their tickets months ago in any event) rather than concentrating on matters in hand. Indeed sometimes they focus too much on a narrow band of fans rather than concentrating on pure coverage of what is happening in games and across the NFL generally.

However, I do see them as something of a necessary evil during and after games.

In my ideal world we would have ESPN's NFL Sunday Countdown (or the Fox/CBS equivalent) from 3pm to 6pm on Sundays then over to the Sky studio at 6 for a quick intro before the action starts. Then cut to the Sky studio during breaks and between/after games. Same on other game days. Also let us have NFL Red Zone in HD!

I would have a magazine show for British NFL fans each week but backed up with NFL Total Access etc.
  • Options
    ocoxocox Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The reason I would like NASCAR to go back to Sky are two-fold;

1) HD (which Premier Sport could upgrade).

2) cost (as I have Sky Sports and would save £9.99 a month).

All the other points are valid, but PQ and cost take precedence for me.
  • Options
    Gray77Gray77 Posts: 1,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    I also get rather tired of Sky's NFL team's obsession with the Wembley games and associated events and talk of a UK franchise.

Too much of the "Wow, I'll be rubbing shoulders with Andrew Luck at the fans rally in Oxford Street in 4 weeks time" (only really of interest to those who will be there and bought their tickets months ago in any event) rather than concentrating on matters in hand. Indeed sometimes they focus too much on a narrow band of fans rather than concentrating on pure coverage of what is happening in games and across the NFL generally.

Spot on. Why do they insist on hyping the Wembley games from the very first week of the season? Everyone who watches NFL on Sky knows the games are happening so there's no need to hype it to them, and they can't be trying to sell tickets as the games have all sold out months earlier.

Selling the Wembley games as big deals on things like SSN and general sports magazine shows is a good idea as it may attract outsiders into the game. But to do it to an already committed fanbase seems pointless. If anything the constant attention to these few games annoys NFL fans here who watch the coverage for the sport and the league as a whole and not 3 average regular season games in London.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky showed the in car coverage while they were on breaks in the UK

Not all the time though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not all the time though.

Most of the time though, if memory serves me correctly they may not have done if there was a caution out. Even so, that stuff had no commentary on and was just views of a camera of one car looking at the front of another, hardly riveting stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Missing action shouldn't happen, that said BT will just fill breaks with adverts for their own shows is that really better than studio coverage, especially when you are trying to promote a sport?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That would be a reasonable approach but only up to a point. However, most US sports are now reasonably familiar to UK audiences

The NFL to some extent is, no way do a large portion of people (as in not the majority but say 20-30%) have any knowledge of the other sports bar potentially naming LeBron.

and in any event I don't see much of Sky's NFL coverage being aimed at "rookies" but rather at British aficionados of the sport. The main advantage of the UK studio team is to cover the excessive ad breaks in the US with something more useful (such as in the NFL case updates from other games). The main disadvantage is that the UK studio coverage tends to be less glossy and sharp than comparable US coverage with weaker experts and fewer resources. I also get rather tired of Sky's NFL team's obsession with the Wembley games and associated events and talk of a UK franchise.

However, I do see them as something of a necessary evil during and after games.

In my ideal world we would have ESPN's NFL Sunday Countdown (or the Fox/CBS equivalent) from 3pm to 6pm on Sundays then over to the Sky studio at 6 for a quick intro before the action starts. Then cut to the Sky studio during breaks and between/after games. Same on other game days. Also let us have NFL Red Zone in HD!

I would have a magazine show for British NFL fans each week but backed up with NFL Total Access etc.

On the Sky front, you say that isn't not aimed at Rookies but more experienced but that maybe because of studio of coverage for a number or years.

Although personally I enjoy US studio coverage for many the style is unappealing and too in your face with the graphics etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gray77 wrote: »
    Spot on. Why do they insist on hyping the Wembley games from the very first week of the season? Everyone who watches NFL on Sky knows the games are happening so there's no need to hype it to them, and they can't be trying to sell tickets as the games have all sold out months earlier.

Selling the Wembley games as big deals on things like SSN and general sports magazine shows is a good idea as it may attract outsiders into the game. But to do it to an already committed fanbase seems pointless. If anything the constant attention to these few games annoys NFL fans here who watch the coverage for the sport and the league as a whole and not 3 average regular season games in London.

I'm not saying this the case, I don't know, but they may well have sort of deal with the NFL where they promote the NFL's events.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,949
    Forum Member
    Although personally I enjoy US studio coverage for many the style is unappealing and too in your face with the graphics etc.

How do you know that? I haven't seen anything anywhere (fans forums, this forum or elsewhere) to support that statement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How do you know that? I haven't seen anything anywhere (fans forums, this forum or elsewhere) to support that statement.

I have, but of course neither of us have a survey so its all anecdotal evidence really.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    **Vague news alert**

A 'tweet' from Premier Sports has them saying they will be HD next year.

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/538824507390431232
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    **Vague news alert**

A 'tweet' from Premier Sports has them saying they will be HD next year.

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/538824507390431232

Confirmation on their Facebook page that it will be in HD on Sky in the first half of 2015. "not days but will be in 2015 for sure. 1st half of year." "...We are playing out from an HD TX now but it is organising the channel launch with SKY that can take a while."

Source: See comments after Premier Sports' post dated 28 November which begins "Nice end to the week. We have secured the 2015 Road to the Winter Classic..."
    https://www.facebook.com/premiersports.tv?fref=ts