Options

Emily Bishop longest running Coronation Street character

NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Eileen Derbyshire debuted in the show only a month after William Roache. However as Ken has been absent for 16 months, this must make him the second longest running character in the series now?

Comments

• Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An old school actress who acts because she loves it.

Eileen Derbyshire is a true pro.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eileen Derbyshire was out of the show on two occasions too, six months off from December 1961 to June 1962 and eleven months from February 1966 to January 1967 - so Bill Roache still leads, just!
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What major storylines has Bishop even had? Forgive my ignorance, I don't really know Corrie's history
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    What major storylines has Bishop even had? Forgive my ignorance, I don't really know Corrie's history

She's actually done lots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Bishop#Storylines

I agree that she is a true professional. Never gives interviews, just does the job for the love of it and gets on with her life. Underused in recent years but a real gem. Was always diverse and can turn her had to humour or serious acting. Long may she continue. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JTSee2 wrote: »
    She's actually done lots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Bishop#Storylines

I agree that she is a true professional. Never gives interviews, just does the job for the love of it and gets on with her life. Underused in recent years but a real gem. Was always diverse and can turn her had to humour or serious acting. Long may she continue. :)
    An even better insight into Emily's history on the Street is here http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Emily_Bishop
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »

I agree. vaslav37.
  • Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Emily Bishop. Show wouldn't be the same without her. She looks fantastic for her age too.
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »

This
    I am very fond of her and Barbara Knox and hate when Barbara is slated on here
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scene where she's sitting alone listening to Waltzing Matilda after Norris's brother (played by Andrew Sachs) died is so moving. She is criminally underused and a much better actress than the likes of Kym Several-Surnames or the late unlamented Michelle "Ronseal" Keegan.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    54 years and the Emily creature hasn't offered to buy a single round in the Rovers.
  • Options
    Absolute RotterAbsolute Rotter Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Money for old rope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eileen Derbyshire was out of the show on two occasions too, six months off from December 1961 to June 1962 and eleven months from February 1966 to January 1967 - so Bill Roache still leads, just!

Bill has had time off other than the recent scandals as well though. If Eileen was only off on maternity leave or whatever, she would still be officially a member of cast wouldn't she? It's not like she was on suspension.
  • Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bill has had time off other than the recent scandals as well though. If Eileen was only off on maternity leave or whatever, she would still be officially a member of cast wouldn't she? It's not like she was on suspension.

When was the last time Bill had time off? I swear he has been constant apart from the time he had off for the trial
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When was the last time Bill had time off? I swear he has been constant apart from the time he had off for the trial

He was off for a bit when his wife died and again when his kid died and am sure they had to re-write a few episodes because of illness and stuff. Got to be expected with a career spanning as long as his on Corrie
  • Options
    Ashley79Ashley79 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    He was off for a bit when his wife died and again when his kid died

That was really sad, think he was away for quite a bit understandably
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was off for a bit when his wife died and again when his kid died and am sure they had to re-write a few episodes because of illness and stuff. Got to be expected with a career spanning as long as his on Corrie
    Any absence has not been more than a few weeks though. That's standard, everyone goes through periods when they don't appear. In fact prior to this, the only significant break Ken has had on-screen is about three months in 2007 which was entirely story-led.
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Money for old rope.

Exactly how I feel.

Forward ahead a few years and you'll find Fizz and Maria the new Emily - cushy number
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Who has done the most episodes, Ken or Emily?
  • Options
    Ashley79Ashley79 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Sunny B wrote: »
    Who has done the most episodes, Ken or Emily?

not sure but I wouldn't trust IMDB - Ken I imagine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ken - 1,503
    Emily - 1,088

I think that sounds about right.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A scrounger and a lush without an ounce of work ethic.
  • Options
    stellersstellers Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So why is never given anything to do:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunny B wrote: »
    Ken - 1,503
    Emily - 1,088

I think that sounds about right.
    This might interest you http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Top_100_appearances
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly how I feel.

Forward ahead a few years and you'll find Fizz and Maria the new Emily - cushy number[/QUOTE]

bib::o:o

Wouldn't surprise me though!

The only time I have seen Eileen Derbyshire give an interview, was when she got her MBE. I'm surprised that she did that, as some "celeb" recipients have refused to speak to the press after getting a gong (let alone be filmed receiving it).
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thanks Pete :)

I still miss Family Affairs :(