iPad charger

5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

Sorry for what is probably an ignorant question………
I have the iPad Retina and would like an additional power supply / plug / cable / charger, or whatever it’s called.
To my surprise no amount of amazon searches are resulting in what I’m looking for.
I have an additional iPhone plug. I don’t know if it’s for the iPhone4 or 4s.
Is there a specific cable I can buy that will connect to that plug and to my iPad?

Thanks

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't they all come with a cable ending in a USB plug? If so simply buy a mains adapter with USB outlets on it, if you don't already have one.
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5hane wrote: »
    Hi

Sorry for what is probably an ignorant question………
    I have the iPad Retina and would like an additional power supply / plug / cable / charger, or whatever it’s called.
    To my surprise no amount of amazon searches are resulting in what I’m looking for.
    I have an additional iPhone plug. I don’t know if it’s for the iPhone4 or 4s.
    Is there a specific cable I can buy that will connect to that plug and to my iPad?

Thanks

Standard iPhone/iPad cable works on all models up to the 3rd, I'm assuming you have the iPad 3 not the 4 with lightning connector.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    It will depend on wether you need the original dock connector or the new lightning connector. Either way try here

Lightning

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Apple-Charger-Official-Lightning/dp/B00DQ80DP0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378204182&sr=8-2&keywords=ipads+charger

Original dock

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Apple-Charger-Adaptor-Iphone/dp/B00CXP4K9M/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1378204182&sr=8-7&keywords=ipads+charger

As an addendum best to get genuine components (or at the very least ones that have good reviews) - there are some dodgy ones out there that just don't work properly.
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    It will depend on wether you need the original dock connector or the new lightning connector. Either way try here

Lightning

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Apple-Charger-Official-Lightning/dp/B00DQ80DP0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378204182&sr=8-2&keywords=ipads+charger

Original dock

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Apple-Charger-Adaptor-Iphone/dp/B00CXP4K9M/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1378204182&sr=8-7&keywords=ipads+charger

As an addendum best to get genuine components (or at the very least ones that have good reviews) - there are some dodgy ones out there that just don't work properly.

Thanks Dan
    Im not sure which one I need. Will the lightening cable plug into my iPhone4 /4s plug/dock, so that I can charge the Retina?
    If so, then I dont suppose I need the plug and cable.

Thanks
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dan
    Im not sure which one I need. Will the lightening cable plug into my iPhone4 /4s plug/dock, so that I can charge the Retina?

Thanks
    If you have a lead that ends in USB for both devices and the charger also has a USB socket then more than likely you can use the same charger for all devices.
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Dan

Thanks

The Lightning cable is not compatible with the iPhone 4/4s dock - that requires Apples' 30-pin connector.

Dan's links were helpful, but not what you're looking for. Both links had the 5W plugtop adapter plus cable. Although this will charge your iPad, it will take at least twice as long - the charger that came with your iPad is 12 watts.

So, on Amazon, that would be this item.

And for the lead, you can get this(seems awfully cheap, seeing as the same item from Apple is £15 - be wary of knockoffs, they have the potential for setting your house alight), or this.

Still, 'not cheap' to equip an additional power supply... you might get a 3rd party 10 watt USB charger cheaper; again be wary of low quality components, best to stick to Apple parts where batteries are involved.
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, that’s very useful to know.
    The additional power is for my place of work, and because I don’t think I will use the iPad as much at work, perhaps the cable alone will be fine.
    I will go for the cable you suggest zapod
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what you mean... basically take my iPad everywhere including work (a glorified iPod during lunch! and sometimes I'm 'Oops - 10% battery!'. Admittedly the iPad can go for at least an hour from there but I like to top up the battery when it gets to that stage.

In the past I've resorted to leaving it in the PC's USB but that is so slow... and recently I've just had to pack the charger from home to speed things up, although the last time I did that I put the iPad 1 charger and cable in by mistake! D'oh!