ITunes 11 available from 29.11.12

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MsLurker wrote: »
    Anyone else a got virus warning when downloading it? I couldn't install because of some Gen:Variant.Barys.1508 threat in the mini player file. :confused:

Nope :confused:

What OS? And what antivirus software?
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate how you can't see the album art whilst on the song tab/list.

Yeah bit of a shame though you can still click on the artwork at the top to make it full size, and the new albums view really is great
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to have removed the option to show duplicate songs. Looks like third party tools are the only way now.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think that they could improve much on the last version but I must say that they've done a great job.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone tell me where they have put the gapless option. I just can't seem to find it anymore. It isn't were it was before in 10.7.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Well, I opened up iTunes to sync my iPod and was informed that v11.0 is available and did I want to download and I did, thinking it was just a little tinkering here and there to improve it, but it is bloody awful. Apple should give us a chance to preview updates to see whether we are interested. Is there any way I can go back to v10?
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree - they should have a website or something so that people can have a look.

Or maybe other people could review it, which might be useful too.

:p

I don't see what's so terrible about it anyway. There seem to be a few worthwhile improvements - the album expanded view (although they could do with losing the feathering on the album cover), the new mini player, the up next list. The songs view is the old column view which would have been bad to lose, and the sidebar can be added if you want it.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    Well, I opened up iTunes to sync my iPod and was informed that v11.0 is available and did I want to download and I did, thinking it was just a little tinkering here and there to improve it, but it is bloody awful. Apple should give us a chance to preview updates to see whether we are interested. Is there any way I can go back to v10?

I agree with you, they seem to have taken away a lot of the functionality I actually relied on.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know if you can still view a list of your duplicate songs [since iTunes seems unable to copy over songs you already have]? In 10.7 you just went to "File" and selected "Show duplicates", but it's not there anymore...

Other than that, it's a vast improvement and it actually properly works on Windows!
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can still view a list of your duplicate songs [since iTunes seems unable to copy over songs you already have]? In 10.7 you just went to "File" and selected "Show duplicates", but it's not there anymore...

Other than that, it's a vast improvement and it actually properly works on Windows!

Sadly they've removed it.

I like the overall layout of the new version though. But I find myself using the conventional layout sometimes. View>Show Sidebar.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Slight problem at this end.. a load of my songs are now duplicated as it appears to have added entries for cloud copies of the tracks. All my music is stored locally so have no idea why its enabled this.

I wasn't really a fan of coverflow (didn't really seem to have a practical use) so don't miss it. The gradient business with the album artwork seems to be a bit hit or miss though. Gonna take some getting used to the new view modes I think.

-edit-
    Managed to kill the cloud business by going into preferences > store > "show iTunes in the cloud purchases".
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Slight problem at this end.. a load of my songs are now duplicated as it appears to have added entries for cloud copies of the tracks. All my music is stored locally so have no idea why its enabled this.

turn it off then
    "hide music in the cloud" in the "view" menu
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Nope :confused:

What OS? And what antivirus software?

Windows 7 and using Virgin Media's anti virus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MsLurker wrote: »
    Windows 7 and using Virgin Media's anti virus.

that's 2 strikes... third one and you're out :D

chances are your AV is giving a false positive.
  • robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have downloaded it just now

all i would like is to see the album artwork in the sidebar

is this too much to ask?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also you can't double click on a playlist to add songs to it from another window?..you could do this before
    why would not allowing this be a problem?

I have noticed the album artwork is in the top panel now so maybe not as bad as I thought - just that it is tiny

you can't view the album artwork with music on the ipod though? what the hell??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah - it is a bit small. I think they must be thinking that the expanded album view is the one people will use the most. I can see me using the album view more than i did in the past, as I never really liked clicking away from it to view the details.

The bit I like the most, design / colour wise is the store history in the two tone grey. With the very slight gradient and texture, two tones for the rows, and the 1px top and bottom borders to give it a slight indentation is the perfect balance between designed and over designed. Would love if the whole UI was in that colour scheme.

Adding stuff to playlists or devices works quite well - just start dragging songs or albums, and the playlists and connected devices slide in on the right hand side for you to drop them in.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    No idea if this was documented or not, but a good new feature for me is you can now preview a song from the iTunes store and continue browsing without it stopping the clip like it used to. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    searching music from a shared library doesn't work now (well it lists results from everything but music).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Adding stuff to playlists or devices works quite well - just start dragging songs or albums, and the playlists and connected devices slide in on the right hand side for you to drop them in.

before u could open the playlist up in a new window and drag files in to a specific order - how is this new way better??
    you can drag files into a playlist but they go to the bottom of the playlist and you cant view the list
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    before u could open the playlist up in a new window and drag files in to a specific order - how is this new way better??
    you can drag files into a playlist but they go to the bottom of the playlist and you cant view the list

I didn't say it was better. I just thought, if the sidebar is gone by default, the devices and playlists appearing when you start to drag stuff is quite good because you just have to start dragging, rather than switch the sidebar on and then start dragging.

Obviously if you used to use separate windows, it's not going to be better for you.
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If any of you want to go back to the old way, here's how.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be09gGFw-Y4
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do I need a download of 86.63mb for what is at the heart of it a file & internet browser with a bit of scheduling software.

I would have thought at the VERY least the store would have become accessible through an ordinary internet browser like every other store I use.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Why do I need a download of 86.63mb for what is at the heart of it a file & internet browser with a bit of scheduling software.

I would have thought at the VERY least the store would have become accessible through an ordinary internet browser like every other store I use.

You're forgetting Apple is all about walled gardens. If it will ever be like you suggest, maybe Safari might be a way.

Not saying Apple are the only ones BTW, e.g. Hotmail works better with IE9 (hoho) and Google Chrome signs you into the Google cloud.

FWIW, this seems to be the UI path first seen in IE8/Chrome where traditional menus are turned off by default, I'm not keen on it, but I can see them getting turned off once you find the newer ways of doing some things.

I liked Coverflow, not that it's really that useful, a bit sad it's gone, but I can see why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I didn't say it was better.

sorry hope that didnt sound like i was having a go..i was wondering if I had missed anything