Options

Possible minor disciplinary offence at work?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Is anyone actually saying that?

If your work starts at 9am then any work related stuff starts at that time, including logging on, getting uniform on etc...

The OP said 'Generally speaking I arrive just on time in the morning' and that his locker is the other end of the building .......

Do firemen, dentists, police, teachers, train and bus drivers arrive 'just on time in the morning? I think it's doubtful
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,751
    Forum Member
    Toggler wrote: »
    The OP said 'Generally speaking I arrive just on time in the morning' and that his locker is the other end of the building .......

The OP said that he works flex time so his claim to arrive "just on time" needs further explanation.
  • Options
    oldcrakpotoldcrakpot Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Toggler wrote: »

Do firemen, dentists, police, teachers, train and bus drivers arrive 'just on time in the morning? I think it's doubtful

Yep i did for 19 years but that was 25 years back when employers did not treat you as slaves and take the piss, treating you as equals I believe we sleep 8 hours ,do as freemen 8 hours and if someone pays for our time another 8 hours
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every office is different in my experience and the general rule I've found is don't take the p**s.

Some offices are flexible.. arrive 5 minutes late.. leave 5 minutes late.

Other offices require strict time keeping.

It's about gauging what is expected. You now know the score. I wouldn't take it personally. If you struggle to get in at the time expected, make that clear to your manager and perhaps come to an arrangement where you leave later each day or take a shorter lunch each day.

But the worst thing you can do (in my experience) is leave a few minutes early each day without it being clear that's part of your arrangement. Because some other employee may mention it. They can be bitchy like that. "Oh did you know X leaves 5 minutes early each day after you've gone" etc etc.

It's just not worth the hassle for a few extra minutes in bed or a few extra minutes at home in the evenings.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I thought this kind of chip-on-shoulder attitude died out in the 70s.

Expecting an employee to take responsibility for ensuring they are good and ready to start work at the contracted time isn't unreasonable.

I'd work to rule if I got ridiculous pressure about the exact start time, it all underlies how much of a slavery situation the workplace actually is.
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why Unions were so useful to employees.

They told you when you had to be at your desk, how long you had to dress, how long you had for break, coffee etc,

Of course if you are paid for your expertise not your time all this goes away - or if you bring in millions for your company they allow anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Moth wrote: »
    The OP said that he works flex time so his claim to arrive "just on time" needs further explanation.

Core hours
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In our office, you're expected to arrive 5-10 minutes early, but as a kick back, we're allowed up to 15m as a 'break' during the day.

It's a bit of a farce, because it isn't policed or even monitored.

One guy comes in when the trains are running on time (but they're every ten minutes, so it's not hard to get an earlier one).

I arrive about 5m before work most days, except for once or twice a month I'll be either on time or at worst 5m late.

Now the smokers have left, I don't think anyone has ever consciously set aside 15m and said they were on their permitted break, and if I wanted to add it onto my lunch hour people would wonder where I was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made even more complex that anyone taking a Southern train can never ever be sure how much today's delay is.

Allegedly people have lost jobs because of Southern.
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,751
    Forum Member
    The_Moth wrote: »
    scottl wrote: »
    Core hours

That may be the explanation although the OP has never confirmed it. That would mean that the OP is arriving for work at the latest possible time but not taking into account the time that his manager requires him to start work.

In my experience flexitime does not mean that provided you attend for core hours you can come and go as you please.
  • Options
    Aetius_MaralasAetius_Maralas Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd work to rule if I got ridiculous pressure about the exact start time, it all underlies how much of a slavery situation the workplace actually is.

Yeah...you might actually want to read up on slavery, unless you like getting laughed at for making stupid comparisons.

Up to you really.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....writes the poster who hasn't had a job in years.