Options

What Beta-Blockers work for anxiety?

2»

Comments

• Options
    max_garfieldmax_garfield Posts: 3,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like it's working, as the symptoms didn't kick in. Beta blockers will reduce the physical symptoms of anxiety, but can't stop the anxiety itself. I don't think there's any medications that specifically target the mental symptoms of anxiety although anti-depressants help some people.

Well some claim Xanax (Alprazolam) does, but I believe that's highly addictive.

I will continue to take the Propranolol for as long as the doctor insists, but It's not really stopping the panic. Basically I feel exactly the same as before except my heart beat stays the same (but in the last week or so I've noticed I am aware of it so I don't know if the effects of this are wearing off or what).
  • Options
    gerryman62gerryman62 Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    marieukxx wrote: »
    I was prescribed propranolol for anxiety

am the same seem to help
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard as I feel like I'm contradicting myself but what I mean is, for me personally, all it is doing is keeping my heart rate steady, that's the only thing. Besides that,, I feel exactly the same. I still even feel breathless at times.

I don't mind taking these as there's no side effects or anything, but would rather not take them if they're making no difference. I'll see what my doctor says on Monday.

Which is another thing, last time I actually had to cancel my doctor's appointment because that night I had two panic attacks and was feeling so ill that morning, I worry that will happen this time. I try to pretend the thought isn't there (reoccurring events and stuff) but we'll see. I should be fine!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor has put me on 40mg of Propranolol twice a day, which I kinda expected.

I've also been referred for blood tests to do with hypothyroidism and other related conditions to rule out that. It actually wouldn't surprise me if I had a thyroid problem but I just assume I felt kinda ill a lot due to the anxiety.