How Do I Upgrade from Mac OS X?

Comments

• max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    rottweiler wrote: »
    5 years with the same laptop, show me a windows user that can boast that and still have reasonable performance, Come on Apple haters !!!!!!!!!

General rule of thumb: The more exclamation marks, the more prattish the comment.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Oooh go run os 7.5 on an old 68030 with 1mb of ram :p and tell us how good the apple experience is since technically its apple gear you should still be able to enjoy a jobsian orgasm while using it :D

Maybe I will :p Do I need to wear my black turtleneck while using it? ;)
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 years with the same laptop, show me a windows user that can boast that and still have reasonable performance, Come on Apple haters !!!!!!!!!

My Dell Mobile 3D Workstation laptop is 5 years old and still going strong. I use both OSX and Windows machines for my work and don't have any problems with either. Stop being an idiot.
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So bitchy.......

Dell Mobile 3D Workstation laptop, wow haven't see none of those for a few years now, are you still running XP on it ? do you use a brief case to carry it around in or a power lifter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So bitchy.......

Says you :rolleyes:.
  • Andrewww342003Andrewww342003 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    so uh, windows xp which came out in 2001 can run iTunes 11, yet Mac OSX Leopard, which was released in 2007 cant?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is true but what does it cost to upgrade to Mountain Lion.....
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is true but what does it cost to upgrade to Mountain Lion.....

in the OPs case, at least £999
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so uh, windows xp which came out in 2001 can run iTunes 11, yet Mac OSX Leopard, which was released in 2007 cant?

Can it though, or would it require one of the much later XP service packs to run?

Apple seem to update their computer OS every 1-2 years with a new cat. Microsoft kept the same OS running for very much longer, but released service packs instead. It's a different model.
    Forum Member

Here we are (taken from Apple's website):
    Mac OS X version 10.6.8 or later
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, 32-bit editions of Windows Vista, or 32-bit editions of Windows 7, and Windows 8
    Safari 4.0.3 or later
    400MB of available disk space
    iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match availability may vary by country.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Can it though, or would it require one of the much later XP service packs to run?.
    SP3 has been available since 2008, and according to the Apple website iTunes only needs SP2 anyway (2004).

Obviously it's not wise to still be running XP SP2 since it doesn't get any new security updates.

I wouldn't be surprised if support for Snow Leopard is dropped within a few months since most of Apple's other products now require Lion or Mountain Lion. Either way it will tie the OP over and allow them to synch their iPhone.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I ordered a disc from Apple over the phone which will upgrade my OS to the OS above what I currently have. I'll then be able to download the next version for free, but it's reccomended that I don't upgrade as far as Mountain Lion as apparently my MacBook won't handle it very well. Have spent hours researching this issue and getting the disc from Apple and upgrading the OS is the only way to overcome this problem. Thing is, I ordered the disc on 28/12/2012, and it still hasn't arrived. It said estimated delivery time 3 weeks, but the guy on the phone said it will only be a few days. I'm now stuck with a brand new iPhone 5 tucked away in my room until this bloody disc arrives :(.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I ordered a disc from Apple over the phone which will upgrade my OS to the OS above what I currently have. I'll then be able to download the next version for free, but it's reccomended that I don't upgrade as far as Mountain Lion as apparently my MacBook won't handle it very well. Have spent hours researching this issue and getting the disc from Apple and upgrading the OS is the only way to overcome this problem. Thing is, I ordered the disc on 28/12/2012, and it still hasn't arrived. It said estimated delivery time 3 weeks, but the guy on the phone said it will only be a few days. I'm now stuck with a brand new iPhone 5 tucked away in my room until this bloody disc arrives :(.

you do know you can use your iphone without having to connect it to itunes?

it no longer requires a connection to itunes to start working, so not sure why you have it "tucked away".

the only time you need to connect it to itunes is to sync your music, and i'm sure you can wait a few days for that.
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if support for Snow Leopard is dropped within a few months since most of Apple's other products now require Lion or Mountain Lion. Either way it will tie the OP over and allow them to synch their iPhone.

That'll render my Macbook Pro obsolete then :( It still runs Snow Leopard and I've no intention of upgrading it. I got the RAM in it upgraded to 8GB today :D Took it down to my local reseller (no official stores here in Ireland) and they did it for me in about 5-10 minutes! I didn't need an appointment or anything.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was using MS Word on an Apple Mac Plus in July 1987 - three months before Word was released for Windows which, at the time, was awful.

and now it's the other way round.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Got an Acer here that I bought 5 years ago for £360. Bought it with Vista, got an upgrade to windows 7 when it came out for around £35 (student offer) and got Windows 8 recently for £15.
    Still works great, no arbitrary limiting of features like Apple seems to be doing with their machines. I can use all the features of Windows 8 that my hardware allows for.

Total cost on machine and windows over 5 years? Less than £400 spend to have the latest software etc. Plus I've upgraded my RAM and HDD along the way and cleaned out the dust. It would be trivial to upgrade the WiFi in my laptop too if I wanted.

Apple is great if you want burn money every year (I suppose it's a longer-lasting way of burning money than visiting Las Vegas, but Vegas might still be more fun). For regular people, with budgets etc, the light side (windows) still wins on value for money.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just set up the iPhone 5. I spoke to someone at Apple who told me I won't have the disc until 24th of Jan. I can't not use my iPhone 5 for that long!! I'm currently in the process of backing up my old iPhone using iCloud. Problem is though, it doesn't back up everything. I want my Apps and I want all of the data in the apps!! When I download WhatsApp onto my iPhone 5, it's as if it's a new app...doesn't contain any of my previous conversations or anything like that. I would have thought by singing into the app store using my Apple ID, it would have recognised me and downloaded the app with all my previous data. Really frustrating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just set up the iPhone 5. I spoke to someone at Apple who told me I won't have the disc until 24th of Jan. I can't not use my iPhone 5 for that long!! I'm currently in the process of backing up my old iPhone using iCloud. Problem is though, it doesn't back up everything. I want my Apps and I want all of the data in the apps!! When I download WhatsApp onto my iPhone 5, it's as if it's a new app...doesn't contain any of my previous conversations or anything like that. I would have thought by singing into the app store using my Apple ID, it would have recognised me and downloaded the app with all my previous data. Really frustrating.

sorry but you are simply wrong regarding the backup.
    iCloud backup backs up everything from your phone that needs to be backed up - including app data.

backup your old phone, then set up your new iphone and when prompted tell it to restore from icloud backup.

your iphone 5 will then look exactly like your old iphone including apps and data.

i have done this many times and it works exactly as i said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends how much space you have in the cloud, I have a 64gb iPhone so there's no way I could back all that up...
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    iCloud backup backs up everything from your phone that needs to be backed up - including app data.

This is not really correct.

iCloud does not back up Apps - you are able to re-download Apps for free from the App Store.

When you restore your iPhone from a backup, the Apps will automatically be re-downloaded from the App Store and installed on the phone.The data from the Apps (e.g. your progress in a game) will be recovered from your backup at the same time.

In addition to that, iCloud backs up settings and photos.

Other types of content - like Music, Videos and Podcasts are not backed up with iCloud and must be recovered some other way (i.e. iTunes).

In terms of data backed up within Apps, there are quite a few restrictions. Generally anything that can be re-downloaded for free (e.g. books in the Kindle App or music in Spotify) would not be backed up.
    Depends how much space you have in the cloud, I have a 64gb iPhone so there's no way I could back all that up...

It's highly unlikely that you'd have 64GB of content that's eligible for backup, given the above exclusions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    This is not really correct.

iCloud does not back up Apps - you are able to re-download Apps for free from the App Store..

i didn't say it backed up the apps, i said "app data".
    there is no need to back up the actual apps as they already exist in the app store.

i also said it backs up everything that "needs to be backed up".
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i also said it backs up everything that "needs to be backed up".

That's the part I'm disputing.

A huge swathe of things are not backed up (Music, Videos, Books, Podcasts, Tones etc.) and can only be recovered onto the device using iTunes.

Given that limitation, it would be quite sensible for people to restore their backup through iTunes.

That way, any content that was previously on the device can simply be copied over USB from the computer (at a much faster rate and without using any bandwidth on the network).
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding app data in a backup:

There is also some stuff that simply can not be restored to a *new* device, whether using an iCloud backup or an iTunes backup: anything that is tied to the original device's unique ID.

e.g. A Google Authenticator account won't be restored to a new device, nor will passwords for EAS accounts (e.g. Google Sync).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    That's the part I'm disputing.

A huge swathe of things are not backed up (Music, Videos, Books, Podcasts, Tones etc.) and can only be recovered onto the device using iTunes.

Given that limitation, it would be quite sensible for people to restore their backup through iTunes.

That way, any content that was previously on the device can simply be copied over USB from the computer (at a much faster rate and without using any bandwidth on the network).

that's because that content doesn't need backed up, as you already have a back up of those in your itunes library.

the backup that is done via icloud is the same as a backup done via itunes. either way the music etc still needs to be synced back from your itunes library.

an icloud or itunes backup will still restore your phone back to the way it was.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    there is no need to back up the actual apps as they already exist in the app store.
    That is until Apple decide to delete them from the store, as is what has happened with a couple of the apps I have on my iPod touch. It is important that people keep their own backups rather than just relying on Apple.