Outlander discussion (Merged)

Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I read on the BBC red button that they are making a new major series of the Outlander books which wil; be starring Sam Heughan as Jamie who is a time traveller. They are building a new studio in Scotland for the purpose!

Comments

• Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link. I met Sam at the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester a few years ago. Nice man!
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting, they've mooted filming the Outlander series of novels for a while, good to see things are finally moving on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    I read on the BBC red button that they are making a new major series of the Outlander books which wil; be starring Sam Heughan as Jamie who is a time traveller. They are building a new studio in Scotland for the purpose!

Jamie is NOT a time traveller. He can't travel through the stones. The time traveller is Claire. Looking forward to seeing who they cast for that role, its almost more important than Jamie. They have the right actor for him, so I'm hopeful they'll find the right person for Claire.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I read the blurb incorrectly. Thanks for the info!
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Sam Heughan is a good cast choice I think, actually gives me a bit of hope for this series.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old was claire.?
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    How old was claire.?

27, in the first book.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was interested in this but with the story set between 18th - 20th Century, suggests this is a historical romance, with light sci-fi. I can imagine strong politics, social division and a conspirarcy.

Maybe they'll adapt the story into an action adventure, with some cool sci-fi but i doubt it. Anyway, i'll keep an eye on it, to see if i'm proven wrong.
  • TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh I loved the books, but if Starz screws up this series like HBO did the Sookie Stackhouse series its going to be terrible.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the casting for Jamie and Claire looks excellent, Dougal looks great as well. Not so sure about Frank and Colum though.

I've been reading these books for over 20 years now ( I hope DG finishes the story before I pop my clogs!) and I am really excited about this new series. I hope they do the story justice.
    Forum Member
    So far the casting seems spot on, gives me hope for this book conversion. Wish I could be an extra in this one though, live close to where they will be filming :)
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    So far the casting seems spot on, gives me hope for this book conversion. Wish I could be an extra in this one though, live close to where they will be filming :)

Oh you lucky thing :) Be sure to tell us if you see anything exciting!!
  • sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    News today that Simon Callow has been added to the cast. He is to play the Duke of Sandringham. James Fleet was also announced a while back as Rev Wakefield. This is certainly shaping up to be a high class series.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    I was interested in this but with the story set between 18th - 20th Century, suggests this is a historical romance, with light sci-fi. I can imagine strong politics, social division and a conspirarcy.

Maybe they'll adapt the story into an action adventure, with some cool sci-fi but i doubt it. Anyway, i'll keep an eye on it, to see if i'm proven wrong.

It is, there's no way I'd ever stick the Outlander series into the fantasy/sci-fi bracket even with the time travelling aspect. They're straight up historical romances imo.
    Forum Member
    Yup 90% historical romance. And I agree about the casting, so far its been spot on :)
    Forum Member
    Yup trailer looks promising. I think the casting so far has been really good. They also announced yesterday that Bear McCreary (composer from the Walking Dead) will be composing the score :)
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder when its due on US screens?. Hope its not too long as it looks great, and its a fresh story for me as I haven't read the books.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Wonder when its due on US screens?. Hope its not too long as it looks great, and its a fresh story for me as I haven't read the books.

Starz is saying it will debut in the "third quarter" of the year -- so sometime between the beginning of July and the end of September.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Starz is saying it will debut in the "third quarter" of the year -- so sometime between the beginning of July and the end of September.

Thanks MT.
    Forum Member
    Its out in August in many countries but as yet has no UK pick up :(

New trailer, its looking good, so far the casting seems very well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkizwJUiVjA
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am looking forward to this
    Starz have been generous in giving it 16 episodes for the first season
  • soapyjoessoapyjoes Posts: 9,790
    Forum Member
    any news yet on UK pickup?
    Forum Member
    soapyjoes wrote: »
    any news yet on UK pickup?

Nope, as I said in another thread, its bizarre given the books popularity.

Although for some reason it comes up on the list for Sky Never miss, despite them saying nothing about having picked it up.