Why do video games come out later in Europe then in the rest of the world?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
Forum Member
I can understand if the publishers want to translate to native languages since english isn't the only language unlike in North America and Australia. But even games like New Super Mario Bros U get's released later. Of the four main video gaming realease locations Europe has the biggest population, beating North America by 31%. Ditching the biggest costumer is just plain dumb. One reason i think of is that even though Europe has the biggest population it has less gamers per persons then the other locations. I don't consider this the case since in my Europan country i have many gamers around me and we have even two video game stores rigth next to eachother. But most of video gaming videos on Youtube is made by Americans so maybe USA likes video games more. Despite how many poeple like video games in Europe i can't see a reason to not publish the game the same time as the rest of the world if no changes are made to the game. If they doesn't change the game in any way no extra time is needed. Do they wait purposefully or what?

Comments

• -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    They don't always, sometimes we get them before the US, but the main reason is because Europe has multiple languages that need translation which the whole of Europe gets the same version with all the languages available, whereas the US only has US English and maybe French for Canada.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    The figures show that the US is still the biggest video game market. More Americans buy everything from Nintendo to Playstation to PC.

And the multiple European languages does not help.

But things have improved a lot for Europeans over the last 5 or 6 years.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    They say its to do with localisation but I think in this day and age its bullshit as a game should be developed in multiple languages from the get go, not as an after thought

'we will release this game in Europe at some point'
    'oh shit they speak different languages, why didn't we realise this at the start of development?'
    'never mind, take 6 to 9 months and do it now'
    'right you are...'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    They don't always, sometimes we get them before the US, but the main reason is because Europe has multiple languages that need translation which the whole of Europe gets the same version with all the languages available, whereas the US only has US English and maybe French for Canada.

I already said in my post that this can't be the issue. I have played many video games in my life and very few of them has been translated. Almost all purely have english. Almost all pokemon games has come out later and they never had any other laungages then english. All mario games even the newest ones little text and dialog they have has never been translated and always come out later. I know that things have changed to better and we wait 1-3 weeks instead of a half year but i still want to know any other reason to delays since translation can't be the reason.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Well, in Nintendo's case, it's well known that Nintendo of America (NOA) is bigger and employs more people than Nintendo of Europe. Definitely, in the case of not only translation but also testing, and input back to Japan for development feedback.

Nintendo's main exports subsidiary has also been NOA, since the 1980s, and although I can't answer your question accurately, I would suggest, overall they treat the USA, as a way of getting into overseas exports.