Options

Do PC World/Curry's do online sales Xmas day?

pinkprintpinkprint Posts: 536
Forum Member
✭✭
Or around that time, or any other good retailer for that matter?

I have seen a couple of laptops but they are slightly out of my tight budget.
Is there a chance prices will be lowered at Xmas ?

Comments

• Options
    GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pinkprint wrote: »
    Or around that time, or any other good retailer for that matter?

I have seen a couple of laptops but they are slightly out of my tight budget.
    Is there a chance prices will be lowered at Xmas ?

Generally yes, they do, christmas day and boxing day the prices are reduced as they flog their older stock. However, I suspect the reductions will not be as high this year.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    They rarely reduce much anyway. I do admire them though for their honest adverts where they tell you when the item was at it's previous price. Most adverts have one or two items that have been "save £150" for at least 6 months. The rest have sold at their "higher price" for only a few weeks.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    There are a number of good retailers in the tech market. I wouldn't personally categorise DSG as being one of them.

They will never get their hands on my hard earned cash.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My previous laptop was an ancient 2001 model and in 2009 it died on a Sunday morning.

I needed to complete a report for work and had no choice but to go and check out Currys, PC World and Tesco (all next door to each other in Exeter).

Curry's had the best 'average' laptop at £370 (Compaq) so I bought from them.
    What would I have saved by spending days shopping around? £30? £50 if I was really lucky?

A nice twist though, I looked up the exact spec on Curry's website a few days later and found I should have got a free Kodak Digital Photoframe, rrp £50, with it.. But I wasn't offered one.

I phoned Cust Svcs up to confirm I wasn't mistaken (nice woman in Newcastle call centre) and she said to go back to the branch and checked they had stock and it wouldn't be a problem.

Well of course it was. Curry's offers are different online and in-store (they are different subsidiary companies).

But I didn't shout and stomp at (the also nice) woman at Exeter Cust Svc, just looked dejected (I really wanted a photoframe lol) and said Newcastle had told me to come in and I had made a special trip.

Woman checked with Manager and said they weren't obliged to honour the on-line offer, but would this time and sorry for my inconvenience. It was all very friendly.

And I have had a soft spot for Currys ever since.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    It's not buying it that is the issue, it's getting a satisfactory resolution if things ever go wrong. They are the most complained about company in many consumer surveys.

The misinformation they tell to their unfortunate customers when trying to return faulty goods never ceases to amaze me.
  • Options
    pinkprintpinkprint Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the currys/pc world sales look pretty dire anyway.
    anyone seen any deals on any fast multitasking friendly laptops?
    i quite like ASUS as thats whats done me well in the past