The Ratings Thread (Part 29)

Comments

• FuddFudd Posts: 166,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    EastEnders has one big storyline after the other before March.
    The Murder of Heather,Phil goes down for 2 murders
    Bryan Kirkwood always said that Phil could be getting his comeuppance. I guess Heather's murder will be a whodunnit.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Bryan Kirkwood always said that Phil could be getting his comeuppance. I guess Heather's murder will be a whodunnit.
    No!
    She falls in love with a Man that starts to show his nasty side and then he murders her...similar to the Doctors storyline earlier this year...Could it be Andrew?
    Phil is too much of a legend so i hope it's only a short stay in Prison. There's a double Murder investigation with him in the coming weeks and DCI Marsden is back:D
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wozza20 wrote: »
    I was going to break down your post argument by argument, but I really can not be bothered to get into the fact that I never claimed my spelling was perfect - so I don't point out other people's spelling mistakes either etc...

I was trying to be helpful, extend an olive branch if you will. I am not judging or lecturing you, and you can make what you want of my post, it's your choice.

Doesn't it just seem a bit strange to you that all the regular posters on this thread, many on opposing sides, have all been united in arguing with you on here at come point?

A funny sort of olive branch.... and now you state you don't point out others' mistakes, having pointed out one of mine. Bizarre.

Re the "regular posters" - that makes me raise the issue of a gang. If debate and ideas were the norm here, a new poster would be welcomed not shouted down. So it's not strange to me - just indicative of a trend. Now am I meant to be cowed by the fact that the regulars are united against me? I'm more sorry that debate is being stifled - or that there is an attempt to stifle debate.

I will indeed make what I will of your post. And I don't believe that grahamzxy was testing my commitment to the ratings world by mentioning the prediction game. I think that was a genuine olive branch, or rather (gosh, that's a dramatic phrase), a polite post that respects my beliefs (I have no idea if he agrees with me or not) and my right to express them.

Can I just say it's a pity that differing opinions are seen as arguments?
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope EastEnders slammed Coronation Street in the ratings last night.

It has shown that it is a much stronger soap in comparison.

Roll on the ratings for tomorrow although I think Corrie will benefit from Being on before EastEnders.
    EastEnders has been a very strange beast for a good couple of years now lurching from absolute brilliance to complete dross every other week. I thought the Christmas episodes (and most episodes after 'Branning Week') were pretty poor to say the least but so far this week they've been outstanding. Its very odd.
    I don't believe it was stupid. There were still 35 mins of advertisements with each one seeming to average around 7million viewers. I would imagine this raised the £2m needed to fund the episode. A previous working out seemed to be that £5m was probably paid out to advertise during/around Downton on Xmas Day.

Yes, they could possibly have made more revenue back on another Sunday, but they would have already made money on the previous Sunday where Christmas Day is probably not one of the most profitable for the past few years...
    As I said I don't think I'd classify it as a stupid decision out of hand. It really all depends on whether it was a one-off or part of a long term strategy to make Christmas Day viable for them. If Christmas Day 2012 is back to the bog standard uninspired ITV1 schedule then I think its hard to describe this as anything other than a stupid decision that has cost them a lot of money - how many of the millions who recorded would have watched live if it weren't on Christmas Day opposite EastEnders? I imagine the ad rates (and the over nights at least) would have higher for the Sunday before Christmas. I also suspect airing it there would have produced better results than whatever it was they aired in that slot.
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    EastEnders has been a very strange beast for a good couple of years now lurching from absolute brilliance to complete dross every other week. I thought the Christmas episodes (and most episodes after 'Branning Week') were pretty poor to say the least but so far this week they've been outstanding. Its very odd.

As I said I don't think I'd classify it as a stupid decision out of hand. It really all depends on whether it was a one-off or part of a long term strategy to make Christmas Day viable for them. If Christmas Day 2012 is back to the bog standard uninspired ITV1 schedule then I think its hard to describe this as anything other than a stupid decision that has cost them a lot of money - how many of the millions who recorded would have watched live if it weren't on Christmas Day opposite EastEnders? I imagine the ad rates (and the over nights at least) would have higher for the Sunday before Christmas. I also suspect airing it there would have produced better results than whatever it was they aired in that slot.

Christmas Day is a Tuesday this year, which may have a bearing on the decision. In theory, it could be the last ever episode of Downton as only 3 series were planned and the cast only optioned for 3 series (though I expect ITV will want more, or spin-offs, or a 1939-set Return to Downton...) so it could be a big episode.

I was surprised they went with Christmas Day - I expect they're pleased because some programmes have had disastrous ratings.
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    This is what I was thinking too. Downton's ratings are great, timeshifts are exceptional but ITV seem to be forcing more and more people to record it and watch it later, without the adverts. The more ITV cause their viewers to timeshift, the less people watch the ads. They have to make sure they dont make too many viewers get into this habit.
  • fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Endeavour was absolutely superb. Hope it does well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    I think it worked out well for them. The ABC1 audience the advertisers pay for during Downton Abbey was only -1% down in the overnights compared to the series average beforehand. I can't think of any other ITV1 drama which would've held up as well on Christmas Day compared to their normal ratings performance. Whatever drama they show on Christmas Day will lose ITV money compared to airing on another day as its ratings will be inevitably lower than usual, but it seems to me that DA's ratings fall, even in the overnights, was far less than other programmes they've had there before so they might not have lost that much money. I'm 95% sure we'll see it on Christmas Day again, though I agree with you that the 10pm comedy competition will prove tougher next time.
    Undoubtedly impressive but if advertisers weren't buying time at that rate it doesn't really matter. As long as ITV actually sticks with trying to be competitive on Christmas Day then I would absolutely agree that this has worked out for them (assuming Downton doesn't have some unforeseen collapse during series three) but until we know whether that's the case I'm remaining somewhat on the fence about the whole thing.

I will add though that much like you I'd be surprised if Downton isn't on Christmas Day again but ITV manage to constantly surprise me so...
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fodg09 wrote: »
    I thought Endeavour was absolutely superb. Hope it does well.

Agreed, it was brilliant. I got goosebumps at the end. I hope it gets the ratings it deserves, and trounces the farcical Royal Bodyguard. We'll see in the morning...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it not pro-rata?

The more people that watch an advert, the more money the advertiser has to pay?

Advertisers would surely only pay based on the overnight figure though? 8.7m or whatever it was.

The 3.4m people who timeshifted would more than likely skip through the adverts, thus rendering them useless..
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Final reminder - the deadline for Week 1 of the Prediction Game closes at 9:30am.

Featuring Endeavour, Dancing on Ice, Celebrity Big Brother, Public Enemies, The Royal Bodyguard, One Born Every Minute, New Girl, Law & Order: UK, Hustle and many more.

Don't miss out on what is sure to be another fun season of the DSRPG!

Click here to play.

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Agreed, it was brilliant. I got goosebumps at the end. I hope it gets the ratings it deserves, and trounces the farcical Royal Bodyguard. We'll see in the morning...
    I don't think The Royal Bodyguard is that bad. This 9PM scheduling of it however is terrible. It wants to be a big broad family sitcom. It should really be on much earlier when the entire family might actually watch it.
  • NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Advertisers would surely only pay based on the overnight figure though? 8.7m or whatever it was.

The 3.4m people who timeshifted would more than likely skip through the adverts, thus rendering them useless..
    Not everyone will have skipped the ad breaks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle wrote: »
    Not everyone will have skipped the ad breaks.

Not all, but most. Who Sky+'s (or V+'s or even tapes) a show and then sits through the adverts?
  • NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all, but most. Who Sky+'s (or V+'s or even tapes) a show and then sits through the adverts?
    But even if say 20% didn't skip, 20% of 3 million, or whatever it was, is not an insignificant number when the time shift is this high.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    Oh dear. Robbie is really not having a very good day, is he? :o

Seriously, when you see time shifts like that, it makes you wonder why we bother judging the overnights at all?! A perfect storm to get people recording Downton then - a big clash, an ABC1 demographic, a long episode, a late finish nixing same-day timeshifts. It all had people reaching for the PVR.

Interesting test for ITV PR now - can they get it in the papers? The likes of Steven Moffat could tell you all about being hammered (or "trounced) by the papers on the basis of overnights, and not getting a right of reply when the consolidated numbers come in!

Overnights are incredibly important and very much as relevant now as they have always have been. Of course timeshift is a growing and modern way of watching TV now, but overnights still suggest how viewers rate their shows they enjoy watching. For example, you could see what show a viewer wanted to watch over another. This in itself could suggest that one show is more important to a viewer than one they want to watch later. There are many factors to consider when using consolidated figures. On Christmas Night, the programme TV viewers wanted to see was EastEnders. This doesn't mean that they didn't want to watch DA. It suggests that possibly they would have preferred DA to be scheduled on another day.

If ITV do decide to make another Christmas Special next year, they would do well by looking at the final figures and scheduling it on a day when it could attract those consolidated figures as overnights.
  • Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karen Hardy odds-on with the bookies to be new SCD judge...

http://news.williamhill.com/a/tv-specials/scd-alesha-replaced-by-a-pro..no-return-for-arlene/

If the original story is true that journalists knew the new BGT panel this morning but there was a press embargo until midnight (before Twitter and t'internet ruined that plan), then maybe things will become clearer overnight about how the BGT judging set-up will work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle wrote: »
    But even if say 20% didn't skip, 20% of 3 million, or whatever it was, is not an insignificant number when the time shift is this high.

The number will not be 20%. Thats silly.

Also timeshifts include things like ITV on demand - which IIRC has no adverts(?) anyway.
  • dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow this thread has got through 20 pages in less than 24hrs since I last checked on last night! Can't read through it all but looks like Sherlock did really well - 8.75m is a great rating for it. Eastenders was a bit lower than I expected but it did have a fantastic peak at 11.2m. It could be higher either tonight or Tuesday with it back in the regular slot, especially after that unexpected 10.4m rating Tuesday last week.

I hope Endeavour did really well tonight, I thought it was brilliant and could lead to a very strong rating series ahead should they decide to go for it. Interesting storyline for me too as I live right next to Bagley Wood - always enjoy spotting the local Oxford sights in the Morse/Lewis/Endeavour episodes. I think between that and Sherlock yesterday it has made for a real quality start so far in 2012.

On another note, absolutely insane timeshift for Downton Abbey, never thought a timeshift could get anywhere near that sort of level.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Endeavour was brilliant, think if it is successful it'll be a series, I think if Lewis is ending this year then Endeavour is the perfect successor.

Think Mrs Brown's Boys should be 5-5.5m.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Endeavour was brilliant, think if it is successful it'll be a series, I think if Lewis is ending this year then Endeavour is the perfect successor.

Think Mrs Brown's Boys should be 5-5.5m.

Mrs Browns Boys deserves to rate well. It is old fashioned, laugh out loud, un-PC adult comedy. Shame the BBC couldn't put it on at 9.40pm on Saturdays.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    One thing I think we can say about the 3.47 million timeshift from overnights to officials for Downton Abbey is that I think that is a one-off and is not something we will see again for a very, very long time..

The only other example of a c3m timeshift I can think of is the 1996 OFAH Xmas trilogy. I am 99.99% sure the Christmas Day and 27th December 1996 episodes both got identical overnights of 18.35m and timeshifted to 21.31m and 21.33m respectively. The final one got an official 24.35m but I don't remember the overnight for that - conceivably it got around 21m on the night and put on an extra 3m+ as well. That was obviously a less impressive timeshift on an 18/20m "base" than the same raw number on a 8.1m "base". But it was very much in the VHS era, which makes it impressive.

I'm not sure you should be so quick to rule out similar timeshifts in the future. Look at the impressive numbers for the other "lesser" shows over Christmas - AbFab put on 1.6m to a whopping 9.07m official figure, just 2.53m behind the Downton special and only just outside the Final Top 20 of 2011. (A rating somewhat overshadowed today, but far beyond what anybody reasonably expected - some were saying 5-6m tops for this). A timeshift like that 18 months ago would have had us all :eek: -ing.

More and more people are getting PVRs (essential as digital switchover completes), and the ease of use makes catch up viewing easier than ever.

It's a seismic shift, and I do think we can expect to see timeshifts in the region of 3m happen more often, and perhaps networks will be less likely to worry about what competes with what.

For now, it may be that we next see a 3m+ timeshift on 25th December if DA and EE go head to head again, particularly if BBC1 can put up The Royle Family alongside EE as DA competition - and that looks likely on both sides at the moment.
    Gang? Me and Robbie are certainly not in a gang together. I watch and enjoy it when reports of ITV1 doing well occurs while he hates it. I find it funny you think me and Robbie are in a gang. He wouldn't even wait until my back was turned to knife me... HA HA

:D

I've been accused tonight of being a Downton fanboy intent on doing down Sherlock.... :D
  • morph1970morph1970 Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    grimshaw wrote: »
    The number will not be 20%. Thats silly.

Also timeshifts include things like ITV on demand - which IIRC has no adverts(?) anyway.

No, timeshifts don't include on demand, iPlayer etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only other example of a c3m timeshift I can think of is the 1996 OFAH Xmas trilogy. I am 99.99% sure the Christmas Day and 27th December 1996 episodes both got identical overnights of 18.35m and timeshifted to 21.31m and 21.33m respectively. The final one got an official 24.35m but I don't remember the overnight for that - conceivably it got around 21m on the night and put on an extra 3m+ as well. That was obviously a less impressive timeshift on an 18/20m "base" than the same raw number on a 8.1m "base". But it was very much in the VHS era, which makes it impressive.

I'm not sure you should be so quick to rule out similar timeshifts in the future. Look at the impressive numbers for the other "lesser" shows over Christmas - AbFab put on 1.6m to a whopping 9.07m official figure, just 2.53m behind the Downton special and only just outside the Final Top 20 of 2011. (A rating somewhat overshadowed today, but far beyond what anybody reasonably expected - some were saying 5-6m tops for this). A timeshift like that 18 months ago would have had us all :eek: -ing.

More and more people are getting PVRs (essential as digital switchover completes), and the ease of use makes catch up viewing easier than ever.

It's a seismic shift, and I do think we can expect to see timeshifts in the region of 3m happen more often, and perhaps networks will be less likely to worry about what competes with what.

For now, it may be that we next see a 3m+ timeshift on 25th December if DA and EE go head to head again, particularly if BBC1 can put up The Royle Family alongside EE as DA competition - and that looks likely on both sides at the moment.

I've been accused tonight of being a Downton fanboy intent on doing down Sherlock.... :D

The BBC are already working on ideas for next Christmas. They will use some big guns to stick on Christmas night. You can bet that if DA is indeed on Xmas night next time round at 9pm, EastEnders will again be on at 9pm too. I heard that the BBC is going to do a Christmas special of Upstairs Downstairs if series 2 is a success. I see no reason why series 2 of UpDown can't attract 8-10 million if scheduled correctly.

Does anyone else think that "Call The Midwife" may be the winters surprise smash hit?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    morph1970 wrote: »
    No, timeshifts don't include on demand, iPlayer etc.

If they don't include iPlayer, OD etc. how the hell are they coming up with those figures? Is it just PVR'S?
This discussion has been closed.