scart/hdmi connector/adaptor??

Does such a thing exist?
My new tv has only one scart input and 3 HDMI inputs and all my gadgets like Sky boxes and DVD recorders, VHS recorders (yes, I do still use it!!) are either Scart or RF output!!How can I connect them? My tv is about 15 feet away from my gadgets!!

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,270
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but SCART is now pretty well obselete - as you've found out, current TV's only have a single SCART (if you're lucky).

As long as you're happy with an RF connection?, the VCR and DVD recorder will still work via RF, which is probably the easiest solution. Or just connect the VCR via RF, and plug the DVD recorder in the VCR SCART on the Sky box.

But the real answer is to dump the antique gear, and buy current equipment with HDMI - and throw the long obselete VCR away.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,474
    Forum Member
    The one big advantage that SCART still has over HDMI which dropped the ball on that one is that you can daisy-chain SCART devices together so only need one SCART on the TV.

If any of you SCART devices only have a single SCART then that needs to be first in the chain else you will need to get a SCART switch (*not* a splitter) which come in manual, remote and / or auto-switch varieties.

Or yes, SCART to HDMI adaptors do exist and one or more could be used in conjunction with an HDMI switch and / or a SCART switch.

Show me an affordable standalone removable media recorder which can take an external input via an HDMI input and I will start to come round to the view that SCART is obsolete.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could buy a scart switcher and add a female/male scart extension cable to reach the TV. Not a very elegant solution with all the cables and be aware that scart switchers are notoriously flaky things to use. Perhaps someone reading this can recommend one that actually works perfectly as intended.

I have the opposite problem of not enough HDMI connections.
  • TiexenTiexen Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I have the opposite problem of not enough HDMI connections.

Ebay this:

HDMI 3 INPUT AUTO SWITCH HUB SPLITTER BOX PORT OUTPUT

Only £5 and work a treat 3 in 1 out as you turn anything on it switches over

Brilliant!
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,270
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Show me an affordable standalone removable media recorder which can take an external input via an HDMI input and I will start to come round to the view that SCART is obsolete.

That's yet another reason for it's lack on modern equipment.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,474
    Forum Member
    Modern equipment with crippled functionality.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hear hear! We want hdmi inputs and outputs at full hd resolution.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Digimitch wrote: »
    My new tv has only one scart input and 3 HDMI inputs and all my gadgets like Sky boxes and DVD recorders, VHS recorders (yes, I do still use it!!) are either Scart or RF output!!How can I connect them? My tv is about 15 feet away from my gadgets!!
    I can heartily recommend the Philips Videosenders VL 1400 and SLV 5400 as a automatic/remote control scart switch - four in one out (+ outputs back to the VCR/DVDR and to the RF receiver).
    Today there are 3 on the bay - search Philips (1400, 5400)