UTV's TV division to be sold to ITV - reports

georgeotmgeorgeotm Posts: 18
Forum Member
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/end-of-an-era-as-utv-sells-off-its-television-division-to-itv-31469190.html

Surprise news coming out of Belfast this morning. I never thought I'd see the day where UTV would sell up!

Comments

• omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very surprising news. I think UTV Ireland may have been a step too far for them. If both TV stations are sold it could pave the way for ITV across Ireland (although there will still be rights issues).
  • ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very surprising news. I think UTV Ireland may have been a step too far for them. If both TV stations are sold it could pave the way for ITV across Ireland (although there will still be rights issues).

I think its more likely UPC ireland will buy UTV Ire, than it will be TV3 and UTV ire, 3e will be scrapped
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So only STV remains outside the ITV behemoth. ..
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »

and I don't see them giving up anytime soon, but neither did I see this with UTV.

I guess it will be just 'ITV Northern Ireland' then with just ITV on the idents.

No more 'its all about U, but its now 'all about I' :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The production of local programmes for Northern Ireland is part of UTV's identity. Is UTV actually willing to divest itself of that to make money?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunhillpc1 wrote: »
    The production of local programmes for Northern Ireland is part of UTV's identity. Is UTV actually willing to divest itself of that to make money?

Well local production in Wales is almost non-existent by comparison with the TWW and HTV days. But what will happen to Julian Simmons ? Is he included in the deal ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Well local production in Wales is almost non-existent by comparison with the TWW and HTV days. But what will happen to Julian Simmons ? Is he included in the deal ?

Doesn't he do weather aswell? He might be put on pan regional weekend weather coverage for NI, Border and Granada (the new Fred Talbot).
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    I think that Julian and his ilk are shades of TV past - no one has continuity announcers any more!
  • seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think ITV will want to buy STV, there would be to much trouble. Since it has a higher level of opt outs, of course Scotland Tonight Mon-thusday, plus the three local news programme. On top of that Local channels. If any cost cutting measures appeared it would be a good bet Holyrood will complain.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seiko456 wrote: »
    I dont think ITV will want to buy STV, there would be to much trouble. Since it has a higher level of opt outs, of course Scotland Tonight Mon-thusday, plus the three local news programme. On top of that Local channels. If any cost cutting measures appeared it would be a good bet Holyrood will complain.
    I think as with any proposed opt-outs for UTV, if STV's franchises were to be gobbled up by ITV, it'll be based on the same framework as how ITV Wales currently works.

Personally, I now think it is only a matter of 'when', not 'if'. In my view, ITV having every single franchise across the UK is their "mission accomplished" moment - victory condition if you will.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    CaroUK wrote: »
    I think that Julian and his ilk are shades of TV past - no one has continuity announcers any more!
    Doesn't ITV Wales have it's own CAs (everyone still has them, it's IN VISION continuity that's not done much nowadays) - I reckon Julian won't lose his job, but he'll only be heard and not seen in future.
    ftakeith wrote: »
    I think its more likely UPC ireland will buy UTV Ire, than it will be TV3 and UTV ire, 3e will be scrapped
    If UPC buy UTV Ireland, it would be to reacquire all the shows TV3 lost when UTVI launched (which was everything made by ITV Studios). UTV Ireland would be the one to go, not 3e.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Doesn't ITV Wales have it's own CAs

Not for a long time, they were axed in 2006.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think as with any proposed opt-outs for UTV, if STV's franchises were to be gobbled up by ITV, it'll be based on the same framework as how ITV Wales currently works.

Personally, I now think it is only a matter of 'when', not 'if'. In my view, ITV having every single franchise across the UK is their "mission accomplished" moment - victory condition if you will.

UTV are required to do a minimum of 2 hours per week of non-news regional programming. At the last licence renewal they proposed a reduction to 1.5 hours per week (to bring it in line with ITV Wales & STV) but Ofcom rejected this proposal.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/c3-c5-obligations/statement/statement.pdf
  • Greg_ScottGreg_Scott Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Not much left of UTV if the TV arm is sold off. The radio stations bar talk sport are off quite a bit compared to a few years ago and the Internet business is flaghing. Could it sustain a public listing without the TV arm?
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »

I guess it will be just 'ITV Northern Ireland' then with just ITV on the idents.
    Well yes. It won't happen overnight but it will become ITV Northern Ireland eventually I expect.
  • sqwidge1978sqwidge1978 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greg_Scott wrote: »
    Not much left of UTV if the TV arm is sold off. The radio stations bar talk sport are off quite a bit compared to a few years ago and the Internet business is flaghing. Could it sustain a public listing without the TV arm?

Divesting itself of its TV division it still leaves UTV with a hefty radio business made up of two divisions, Radio Ireland, and Radio Great Britain.

Revenue wise, Radio GB is its healthiest division, with sales of £13.3m in the three months to the end of March this year, compared to Radio Ireland revenue of £4.7m (totaling £18 for the radio divisions) and TV revenue of £11.8m.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Interesting news. Does this mean the end of UTV Ireland or will that keep going?
  • jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and I don't see them giving up anytime soon, but neither did I see this with UTV.

No more 'its all about U, but its now 'all about I' :)

I don't think they'll be calling themselves "ITV Northern Ireland". The term "Northern Ireland" is very contentious in that region.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsam93 wrote: »
    I don't think they'll be calling themselves "ITV Northern Ireland". The term "Northern Ireland" is very contentious in that region.

What could it be though? Ulster is a no aswell isn't it?

It will most likely be just 'ITV' on screen but the region will need an official name. Then there's also a matter of the regional news that ITV likes to make its own. So it will probably be 'ITV News 'insert here''.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not really, BBC Northern Ireland have never had any complaints.

It wasn't that long ago UTV tried to buy STV, the fortunes of the two companies have pretty much reversed since.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps they will sell the UTV name as well and rename the company known currently as UTV.
  • RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What could it be though? Ulster is a no aswell isn't it?

It will most likely be just 'ITV' on screen but the region will need an official name. Then there's also a matter of the regional news that ITV likes to make its own. So it will probably be 'ITV News 'insert here''.

The takeover of UTV is very interesting News indeed...considering ITV sold their shares in STV though, I'm not sure that those suspecting a takeover of the entire Network soon are gonna be right? As for the Regional Name, the BBC's Region is 'Northern Ireland' isn't it? The new Region name has surely then got to be ITV 'Northern Ireland'?
  • seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think people are getting confused about ITV mission. There a difference between gaining control of ALL franchise and gaining control of workable franchise. Remember IF ITV comes along it would have a very STRONG fight on its hand to reduce STV opt outs.

I bet Ofcom would make sure Scotland Tonight was kept in place. I bet Holyrood will force somehow keep the three sperate news programmes. IF ITV says it cant afford them, there then be asked how STV manged to afford them and still make a profit.

The there the whole question about Scottish Independence...
    SouthCity wrote: »
    UTV are required to do a minimum of 2 hours per week of non-news regional programming. At the last licence renewal they proposed a reduction to 1.5 hours per week (to bring it in line with ITV Wales & STV) but Ofcom rejected this proposal.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/c3-c5-obligations/statement/statement.pdf

Remember people that "PEAK TIME" STV actually provides 4 hours worth of opt outs over the weekday. If you look at the weekends that could raise to 5 hours, during the year.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »

I hope STV never sell to ITV. Don't like the Idea of an ITV Scotland.
    I'm a bit surprised that UTV are selling.

Darren