Options

BT's £1bn Champions League deal "a mistake"

Comments

• Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you explain what you mean by 'ITV wiil have moved on'?

I meant that ITV will have programmes to replace Champions league.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC have already done a deal for the next 5 Olympics
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/9b747da0-e6b9-4f3d-b2cc-f2987ffe1ada

From that link (BBC sport Director Barbara Slater)

"The deal ensures that all the most popular moments from the Winter Games in 2022 and the Summer Games in 2024 will be available on the BBC to the widest possible audience."

This is the same nonsense that has been used to "big up" every loss of sport from the BBC.

It just does not work to provide a sample of an event, the public lose interest.

I think there will be a "re-negotiation" when BBC ratings are terrible, with more than likely even less Olympics on the BBC as a result.
    Unless a future government decides to change things of course.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    By that stage ITV will have moved on. The BBC are surely excluded.

That's some mistake! I wonder if it's correctable.

The same "mistake" has happened with future Olympics coverage in my view.
    And in Formula 1. The FT has reported that team sponsors are reacting negatively to the lack of FTA coverage in key markets like the UK, Spain and France. Combined with fewer European circuits and the growth of Formula E, this could result in a reduction in Formula's 1 visibility.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Exactly, and who would have thought that no terrestrial coverage would have meant much lower viewing figures, could have seen this a mile off.

ITV should rub UEFA's nose in it by bidding particularly low next time, if they could ensure that BBC, Channel 4 and 5 were not likely to be bidding.

I very much doubt that UEFA are so desperate for ITV to bid again.
    If they don't bid the going rate they won't get the rights, if they want them of course.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If BT don't try and improve Showcase or promote it I reckon for sure ITV will take it back.

Sky and BT will tough it out but I wouldn't be surprised if they prefer Sky as the profile has certainly dropped Sky have loads of channels to promote it. I have BT but only BT Sport Lite so I relay on showcase and the Lego view puts me off and last pick games.

Better in the previous deal with ITV and Sky was HD on ITV.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    From that link (BBC sport Director Barbara Slater)

"The deal ensures that all the most popular moments from the Winter Games in 2022 and the Summer Games in 2024 will be available on the BBC to the widest possible audience."

This is the same nonsense that has been used to "big up" every loss of sport from the BBC.
    M
    It just does not work to provide a sample of an event, the public lose interest.

I think there will be a "re-negotiation" when BBC ratings are terrible, with more than likely even less Olympics on the BBC as a result.
    Unless a future government decides to change things of course.

It is not clear how many hours the BBC will show post 2016.

We do know BBC Red Button will go soon. So we are heading back to the 90s somewhat. BBC with lots of air time (suspect more than 200 FTA hours as the IOC ask Discovery to offer as standard)

Take 2024 maybe in Europe ahead of us. So live coverage could start at 6am. Would finish maybe 10pm That is 16 hours. But with 15 days that would be 240 hours. If they have option to stream via net or connected tv that is another 240 hours. However what about highlights, could be 2 hours after news.( or they going to ignore shift workers?) Woukd highlights that be part of 200 hours? So I suspect to have a channel and a stream BBC might need to another 300 hours.
  • Options
    SobeitSobeit Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Potentially a difficult one for the Premier League clubs this. They have benefitted hugely financially from the BT / Sky battle. They won't want BT stopping bidding big which they might do if they couldn't have exclusivity on the CL.
    And if BT move away from a football based strategy then Sky can bid lower for the Premier League rights in future.
    They need a strategy that keeps BT, Sky and the Sponsors bidding big.
    BT putting a few bigger games on BT Showcase and keeping SKY and BT uncertain about their positions would probably suit the clubs.
    Its the viewers who always get fleeced of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If BT don't try and improve Showcase or promote it I reckon for sure ITV will take it back.

Sky and BT will tough it out but I wouldn't be surprised if they prefer Sky as the profile has certainly dropped Sky have loads of channels to promote it. I have BT but only BT Sport Lite so I relay on showcase and the Lego view puts me off and last pick games.

They will go for whoever offers the more money on PPV, as always.
    BT coverage has been excellent.
  • Options
    eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best case scenario for ITV is highlights on both nights with the live game on a Wednesday. Sky would work with them but may demand the first picks.
  • Options
    POTDPOTD Posts: 9,910
    Forum Member
    The relative lack of interest from English audiences may be because

1) English clubs are not doing as well as they used to. If we had Man U vs Chelsea or Arsenal vs Liverpool in the quarters or semis there would be masses more media interest, even without live coverage on ITV
    2) The most exciting and surprising Premier League season for ages. Leicester's rise to the top is simply a more interesting story than anything happening in the European competitions this season
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps BT and BBC will work together on this as well.
    Imagine this place if that happened :D
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    Perhaps BT and BBC will work together on this as well.
    Imagine this place if that happened :D
    :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They will go for whoever offers the more money on PPV, as always.
    BT coverage has been excellent.

They have lost all the exposure and viewers that's the point of the article and how FTA has an advantage. BT Showcase is a mile off ITV1's figures. I still watch the highlights over on ITV. The majority is likely to remain pay I believe they want one of the major 1-5 channels for some games. C5 also Europa Leauge so they would be looking at that I would imagine.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in Ireland and we're laughing! :D (well not quite George Hamilton is a dolt full of random parochial nonsense and TV3 has an awful picture)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    POTD wrote: »
    The relative lack of interest from English audiences may be because

1) English clubs are not doing as well as they used to. If we had Man U vs Chelsea or Arsenal vs Liverpool in the quarters or semis there would be masses more media interest, even without live coverage on ITV
    2) The most exciting and surprising Premier League season for ages. Leicester's rise to the top is simply a more interesting story than anything happening in the European competitions this season

Yes but Man City being in the semis if this was on ITV it's not as big a draw as one of the longer established Champions Leauge clubs but it may attract a massive 5 million it will instead attract 1 million as BT have a limited number it won't be a showcase game it's not the final.

There was talk of BT sub letting to ITV during the bidding that's how important 1-5 channels exposure will be they need millions as an audience

The UK switched out like a light bulb and only 1 million are watching this must be worrying for UEFA? If someone can add last years or the year before a figures to compare it would be a massive difference in numbers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sobeit wrote: »
    Potentially a difficult one for the Premier League clubs this. They have benefitted hugely financially from the BT / Sky battle. They won't want BT stopping bidding big which they might do if they couldn't have exclusivity on the CL.
    And if BT move away from a football based strategy then Sky can bid lower for the Premier League rights in future.
    They need a strategy that keeps BT, Sky and the Sponsors bidding big.
    BT putting a few bigger games on BT Showcase and keeping SKY and BT uncertain about their positions would probably suit the clubs.
    Its the viewers who always get fleeced of course.

Solution: tender a package of FTA only games of around 10 rest pay. Must include some English games. Could be more than ten whatever the last deal was.

I believe this is what will happen they already have loads for pay tv. The Europa Leauge has been free away back to the UEFA cup days I remember Villa being shown and Rangers on ITV or C5. Now none of these matches are on free tv and a competition like this which isn't a patch on CL football this is not going to help is it?

I believe people's interest has been more in our football FA cup or Premier Leauge I'm sure the BBC or ITV had some football this year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have lost all the exposure and viewers that's the point of the article and how FTA has an advantage. BT Showcase is a mile off ITV1's figures. I still watch the highlights over on ITV. The majority is likely to remain pay I believe they want one of the major 1-5 channels for some games. C5 also Europa Leauge so they would be looking at that I would imagine.

It's the bleeding obvious to say ITV would get more viewers but thanks for telling me that.
    You were saying how Sky gave it more exposure and I said they would go for which PPV offered the most.

The article is based on the opinion of Charlie Sale and a "source" so don't get too excited by it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the bleeding obvious to say ITV would get more viewers but thanks for telling me that.
    You were saying how Sky gave it more exposure and I said they would go for which PPV offered the most.

The article is based on the opinion of Charlie Sale and a "source" so don't get too excited by it.

Yes but it's logical. Not say off they would go with Sky but surely sky are going to come back with more £££ they have spent a lot on entertainment but they lack the wow factor after losing almost 100m of football to a rival. BT have enough cash to retain it but one would be asking how high will they go I don't see at 1 million there subs can be much higher if it's 1 million and as they just keep the existing rights and new PL deal? If they lose CL nobody would cancel and they would revert back to BT sport 1 and 2 minus Europe maybe do a sports news channel.

It's worth a good debate if BT have made it work they still have 2 years to push the existing deal and sign up more so let's see perhaps they are doing well I don't know? Sky sports has more subscribers that has to be fact though. I believe anybody sees BT much than an extra than Setanta however for me if you look at the line up there's for the casual sports fan and it's a very good deal but for Sky customers clearly in price not a good deal plus they get more PL games anyway.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

Truly one of the most nonsensical posts on DS i have seen in a long time!!!!

So because you won't pay for full BT Sport, you think UEFA will prefer Sky?! LOL! :D

BT Sport make the fact some games are available for free on Showcase. Its there to see on their website, but papers don't promote it and its not for BT to go chasing it.
    As for claiming the UCl has 'dropped' since it was on Sky is also BS!

And to finish up with your silly comment ITV will take it back.... BT can easily blow ITV out of the water simply because ITV's sports budget will be vastly smaller than what BT can put on the table!
    UCL is in HD on BT. But it seems people prefer to moan over someone other than Sky having the rights despite the fact BT's coverage has been nothing short of top rate!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but it's logical. Not say off they would go with Sky but surely sky are going to come back with more £££ they have spent a lot on entertainment but they lack the wow factor after losing almost 100m of football to a rival. BT have enough cash to retain it but one would be asking how high will they go I don't see at 1 million there subs can be much higher if it's 1 million and as they just keep the existing rights and new PL deal? If they lose CL nobody would cancel and they would revert back to BT sport 1 and 2 minus Europe maybe do a sports news channel.

It's worth a good debate if BT have made it work they still have 2 years to push the existing deal and sign up more so let's see perhaps they are doing well I don't know? Sky sports has more subscribers that has to be fact though. I believe anybody sees BT much than an extra than Setanta however for me if you look at the line up there's for the casual sports fan and it's a very good deal but for Sky customers clearly in price not a good deal plus they get more PL games anyway.

Well Barney Francis said he was not bothered about losing the CL so whose to say sky will go back in big again.
    Let's not forget they massively overpaid to retain their PL rights so who knows what they will budget for the CL next time.
    BT is a huge company so if they want to compete they can and I doubt they will want to weaken their portfolio either.
    If SKY get back the CL then maybe BT will target more PL games next time.
    One things for sure, we will all end up paying more whatever happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    UCL is in HD on BT. But it seems people prefer to moan over someone other than Sky having the rights despite the fact BT's coverage has been nothing short of top rate!

Yep that's the crux. If it was on Sky I doubt he would be moaning.
    Agree on the coverage as well.
  • Options
    Seamus_ODwyerSeamus_ODwyer Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    With me in Ireland I'm still able to watch a CL match & highlights on RTE2 HD on Wednesday nights via Saorview.

It is also FTA on TV3 on Tuesday nights but there is no HD available for free because TV3 HD is a pay TV channel.

As a casual fan of the CL; I was not pleased at all that BT took every live game off ITV & placed it on their channel portfolio along with Setanta which was also shown in the ROI. I used to watch the ITV CL coverage on Tuesday nights because it had it's HD channel for free. Restricting the CL to a number of subscribers who can afford to pay & watch the matches was very short sighted & very greedy on the part of UFEA & BT.

With a choice of remaining PSB's available in the UK maybe C4 or C5 could take the next FTA rights of the CL if ITV fail to take up the rights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Truly one of the most nonsensical posts on DS i have seen in a long time!!!!

So because you won't pay for full BT Sport, you think UEFA will prefer Sky?! LOL! :D

BT Sport make the fact some games are available for free on Showcase. Its there to see on their website, but papers don't promote it and its not for BT to go chasing it.
    As for claiming the UCl has 'dropped' since it was on Sky is also BS!

And to finish up with your silly comment ITV will take it back.... BT can easily blow ITV out of the water simply because ITV's sports budget will be vastly smaller than what BT can put on the table!

No need to be bitter it's clear these articles good indication of where things are do you believe 1 million viewers on BT is good? BT paid well but there's other issues at stake not my willingness to pay or not for the whole BT package. It's a fiver if I want it just my club is not doing as well so for me I never added it.

Yes I see your point and Ultra HD is a fantastic improvement too. Pros and cons of Sky and BT having it but there's loads of theads on the BT showcase shambles and obviously many believe these games were superior in HD on ITV. A free-to-air package would sign this or adding it to the "crown jewel" sports rights. :)
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The champions league is the mistake now.
    I've watched it religiously since its inception and subscribing to BT was a "no-brainer"
    However the extra cost has really made question its worth (£24 a month through Sky) - it isn't worth it. Its dominated by the same teams year in year out, ours are getting less and less competitive and it needs freshening up , I don't know how but I'm wondering if its peaked and now is on the wane.

Don't get me wrong I think BT have covered it well, the goals show was very enjoyable.

Why not freshen it up by making the tournament for league winners only. It's called the 'Champions League', but from Spain for example, ridiculously quarter of La Liga partake in the 2015/16 CL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With me in Ireland I'm still able to watch a CL match & highlights on RTE2 HD on Wednesday nights via Saorview.

It is also FTA on TV3 on Tuesday nights but there is no HD available for free because TV3 HD is a pay TV channel.

As a casual fan of the CL; I was not pleased at all that BT took every live game off ITV & placed it on their channel portfolio along with Setanta which was also shown in the ROI. I used to watch the ITV CL coverage on Tuesday nights because it had it's HD channel for free. Restricting the CL to a number of subscribers who can afford to pay & watch the matches was very short sighted & very greedy on the part of UFEA & BT.

With a choice of remaining PSB's available in the UK maybe C4 or C5 could take the next FTA rights of the CL if ITV fail to take up the rights.

Yes every game off free tv was bad as BT showcase is only on Freeview many families have sky or virgin so they are possibly cutting off audiences who use to enjoy the odd match or people who don't support CL clubs in favour of money.

As I say time for a free-to-air only package let's not make this a Sky vs BT debate it's clear clubs need massive cash from pay tv deals which ITV can't bid that high for. Surely enough games to share a slice of the pie with everybody though?