Review of surface pro

2»

Comments

• RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Yes, that's true with libraries, there are some tricks to make the metro apps see the files on the SD as a part of a library, but one can always open any media from Explorer.

There is? how?
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Really, you know all that do you? Of course you don't. I've used computers since day one, tried all the systems (including apple) and Windows works for me, simple as that; something that in my opinion is better comes along and I'll dump windows and shift, I'm only loyal to what works for me and until a better (in my opinion) thing comes along.
    I am sorry that I did not get into computers until the ZX81, oh i did use a torch machine at college, but was not really interested in computers as home use until a mate of mine decided to bring a ZX81 to college.

What is better? you know full well that MS have the market for Pc machines and nothing will touch them unless they really mess up. so there is little chance of something coming out that is better, because Ms will do their best to make sure it don't get to market.

Apple OS x is a good OS, but because it it produced to run on a certain machine it is out side the price of a lot of people. and also some people want a better choice of machines.
    I currently use a Windows 7.5 phone which will be changed for a W8 phone shortly to go with my Surface Pro, I also use an S2 and Android tablet. If your talking about a means of communication I'm a radio ham too and use packet data :)

I use a android phone and if I find something different that suits me I will go for it. I am not 100% keen on Android, having a connection with Google don't help, but so far for my price range the phones seems to work better for me than other OS.

IOS is not flexible enough, blackberry phones are a bit slow, the new one will be nice, but I am not paying that amount of money. windows phones, they look nice and yes i have seen one, but the tiles looks pretty inflexible.

So at the moment it is Android, if i go for another smart phone.

I would imagine you are a Radio Ham, you seem the type. i was going to go for it once when CB radio was dying, but I had enough to do as it was and i could not be bothered with all the crap that comes with Ham radio. Ok it teaches you stuff as my nephew found out when he went for it.
    all this ... --- ..., i just could not be bothered.
    I know now that you don't have to learn it.
    So get your facts right before going off on one of your so often ill informed diatribes.

i am sorry, but it is just the way you come over, it seems like you are stuck with on company, product, what ever and if anyone says anything against them, you up in arms about it.

I don't like or hate MS, their OS is a tool, it allows me to use a computer the way i want to use it, well it did until windows 8, thankfully that can be changed. I started using windows from windows 95, I missed the windows 3.1 and Msdos days. ok I did use a bit of Dos at college. So I have seen from windows 95 up to what we got now. i had the hassles that windows cause over the years.

The BSoD on windows 95 was awful, I never got that much problem with my amiga, ok we did have the Guru Meditation error now and again, but nothing like the errors with windows 95. win98 improved things a little, but 98Se made a large improvement. The money I have spent over the years updating.

This is why when I got this desktop a couple of years back I said I will pay a fair bit more than I normally do, so it will last for a bit longer than 2 years and it have. Ok i had to buy a new video card, because mine was over five years old. but i am hopping now this machine will last for another 3-4 years. not a lot is moving in the desktop/laptop market at the moment technology wise about from storage and video cards.

I don't normally stick with one brand, ok I prefer AMD CPUs, maybe because they are the small fish compared to Intel and I stick with canon printers, only because the 3 I have had in the last 20 years have been fine and seem to last.

Ok I am babbling on again, I tend to do that.

Unlike you I can't just go out and buy something for a few hundred quid and hope it suits me, I got to make sure it does what I want, but you seem to rub peoples noses into the fact that you can get this and get that even if other people think it is naff, you will get it because you can

Sure i can go a buy a surface pro tomorrow, ok when it comes out, I can buy a apple Mac which I was looking at, but I will feel it after for a while.
    I work bloody hard for the little bit of money I get and I know a lot of people that is in the same boat. things have not been easy for the last couple of years and yes i do have a tendency to type what i think at the time and wonder why I type that.

If I got you wrong then I apologise.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RileyM wrote: »
    There is? how?

First, use disk managment to map the sd into an empty folder on drive c (add drive letter or path). Then you can add the folder on sd via its new c path as a save location to documents, pictures, etc. It is important that the name of picture folder is not called Pictures. If the content of the sd folders change, it is not reflected in metro apps. You need to rename the sd folder while metro app is closed. When you start the app, it detects the change and rescans the folder. I do this from time to time, but normaly I open files from explorer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First, use disk managment to map the sd into an empty folder on drive c (add drive letter or path). Then you can add the folder on sd via its new c path as a save location to documents, pictures, etc. It is important that the name of picture folder is not called Pictures. If the content of the sd folders change, it is not reflected in metro apps. You need to rename the sd folder while metro app is closed. When you start the app, it detects the change and rescans the folder. I do this from time to time, but normaly I open files from explorer.

Thanks

This sounds very similar to what i read within Microsoft help documentation (although in my case it was for a NAS device). It worked, but Metro apps still refused to "open" my files.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RileyM wrote: »
    Thanks

This sounds very similar to what i read within Microsoft help documentation (although in my case it was for a NAS device). It worked, but Metro apps still refused to "open" my files.

They did not see them or did not want to work with them? In my case it's a hit or miss sometimes, especially with pictures, sometimes it needs to remove the folder from library open the app, close the app, add the folder back. But as I said, I can always open every file via desktop and explorer, that one displays libraries correctly. It's just the metro apps that are confused.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In an effort to balance some of the Surface hate on this forum, there is a nice article on ZDnet which shows the 128GB Surface Pro has more usable storage than the 128GB MacBook Air:

http://www.zdnet.com/surface-pro-versus-macbook-air-whos-being-dishonest-with-storage-space-7000011009/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did not see them or did not want to work with them? In my case it's a hit or miss sometimes, especially with pictures, sometimes it needs to remove the folder from library open the app, close the app, add the folder back. But as I said, I can always open every file via desktop and explorer, that one displays libraries correctly. It's just the metro apps that are confused.
    the Metro apps could "see" the files (I could browse to them) but they could "open"/read them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    In an effort to balance some of the Surface hate on this forum, there is a nice article on ZDnet which shows the 128GB Surface Pro has more usable storage than the 128GB MacBook Air:

http://www.zdnet.com/surface-pro-versus-macbook-air-whos-being-dishonest-with-storage-space-7000011009/

Perhaps if MS gave out some freebies reviewers would find the love. There's so much agenda and politics out there. Add to it a herd behaviour and a few bad reviews can kill a product. MS never cared much for PR, unlike Apple which is a PR firm that makes hardware, too :eek: :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

Hate is a bit of a strong word? I don't hate the Surface pro as i never seen one. the surface is another matter, no, i don't hate that either and I have seen one. It is a well built machine, just a bit limited.

Storage space is going to be a problem with a lot of these sort of things we are forced to use cloud storage.
    I am surprised that they got a SD card in, because on mobile phones the SD card is vanishing.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of the 'lost' space is in a recovery partition which of course you can remove and if needed re-install the OS from a USB stick. Thankfully you can use a USB stick with the pro and they are so cheap now that expanding 'storage' is not really an issue.

I'm looking on my (soon to get:) ) Pro as a powerful yet lightweight alternative to my Sony Vaio laptop to take when I go abroad. The Sony is a really nice machine, very well made and its performance/storage is wonderful but it is a bit bulky for hand luggage, certainly does'nt leave much space for other bits and bobs. The Vaio cost a lot more than my Pro will because of all the 'goodies' and upgrades I bought with it but realistically I only browse the net/emails when I'm living Spain or perhaps watch a film/edit photo's and video, and these days the Vaio is plugged into my TV in Gran Canaria, effectively the Vaio is more than I need in many ways and the Pro will fit my requirements easily and I think this for many will be its selling point; compact, powerful, expandable and able to run Windows based programmes should you choose to install them and unobtrusive in terms of luggage/car/just carrying space.

I've got 7" and 10" android tablets, cheap as chips and for the little they cost do a great job, give it a couple of years and I've no doubt China will be knocking out very affordable W8 tablets that may well match or even out perform the Pro of today...its the nature of technology.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I am surprised that they got a SD card in, because on mobile phones the SD card is vanishing.

Its lack is still a deal-breaker for many people for mobile phones and additional 64GB for documents really won't hurt anybody anyway. It's much easier to just ignore the slot than to miss it.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Thurrott has continued his series of articles on the Surface Pro with a description of his experiences connecting it to other devices:
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/going-pro-replacing-desktop
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Vanishing :confused: My new Nokia Lumia 620 (just released) has a microSD slot for up to 64GB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Vanishing :confused: My new Nokia Lumia 620 (just released) has a microSD slot for up to 64GB.

There are a few phones coming out now, certainly at the higher end of the market that seems to be doing away with a way to add additional storage space. The new Nexus for a starters. i am surprised to be honest that a windows phone got a SD card slot as I thought Ms would be trying to force people to use their sky drive.

give it time.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sorry that I did not get into computers until the ZX81, oh i did use a torch machine at college, but was not really interested in computers as home use until a mate of mine decided to bring a ZX81 to college.

What is better? you know full well that MS have the market for Pc machines and nothing will touch them unless they really mess up. so there is little chance of something coming out that is better, because Ms will do their best to make sure it don't get to market.

Apple OS x is a good OS, but because it it produced to run on a certain machine it is out side the price of a lot of people. and also some people want a better choice of machines.

I use a android phone and if I find something different that suits me I will go for it. I am not 100% keen on Android, having a connection with Google don't help, but so far for my price range the phones seems to work better for me than other OS.

IOS is not flexible enough, blackberry phones are a bit slow, the new one will be nice, but I am not paying that amount of money. windows phones, they look nice and yes i have seen one, but the tiles looks pretty inflexible.

So at the moment it is Android, if i go for another smart phone.

I would imagine you are a Radio Ham, you seem the type. i was going to go for it once when CB radio was dying, but I had enough to do as it was and i could not be bothered with all the crap that comes with Ham radio. Ok it teaches you stuff as my nephew found out when he went for it.
    all this ... --- ..., i just could not be bothered.
    I know now that you don't have to learn it.

i am sorry, but it is just the way you come over, it seems like you are stuck with on company, product, what ever and if anyone says anything against them, you up in arms about it.

I don't like or hate MS, their OS is a tool, it allows me to use a computer the way i want to use it, well it did until windows 8, thankfully that can be changed. I started using windows from windows 95, I missed the windows 3.1 and Msdos days. ok I did use a bit of Dos at college. So I have seen from windows 95 up to what we got now. i had the hassles that windows cause over the years.

The BSoD on windows 95 was awful, I never got that much problem with my amiga, ok we did have the Guru Meditation error now and again, but nothing like the errors with windows 95. win98 improved things a little, but 98Se made a large improvement. The money I have spent over the years updating.

This is why when I got this desktop a couple of years back I said I will pay a fair bit more than I normally do, so it will last for a bit longer than 2 years and it have. Ok i had to buy a new video card, because mine was over five years old. but i am hopping now this machine will last for another 3-4 years. not a lot is moving in the desktop/laptop market at the moment technology wise about from storage and video cards.

I don't normally stick with one brand, ok I prefer AMD CPUs, maybe because they are the small fish compared to Intel and I stick with canon printers, only because the 3 I have had in the last 20 years have been fine and seem to last.

Ok I am babbling on again, I tend to do that.

Unlike you I can't just go out and buy something for a few hundred quid and hope it suits me, I got to make sure it does what I want, but you seem to rub peoples noses into the fact that you can get this and get that even if other people think it is naff, you will get it because you can

Sure i can go a buy a surface pro tomorrow, ok when it comes out, I can buy a apple Mac which I was looking at, but I will feel it after for a while.
    I work bloody hard for the little bit of money I get and I know a lot of people that is in the same boat. things have not been easy for the last couple of years and yes i do have a tendency to type what i think at the time and wonder why I type that.

If I got you wrong then I apologise.

You did and you still have.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »

So does my Galaxy Ace 2 and I can't remember when that was released. I have a 32GB card in it as that's the maximum I can put in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hm, how can anybody worry about a feature that does not interfere with anything and they do not have to use.

Anyway, I just checked surface.com and they are already out of stock with the 128GB model.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hm, how can anybody worry about a feature that does not interfere with anything and they do not have to use.
    Agreed - unless it adds significantly to the cost of the product, which seems unlikely in this particular case.