Options

USB Sata Caddy

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
Forum Member
I would like to utilise my original hard drive from the Foxsat HDR as a back-up, but I am unsure which caddy to purchase, your advice would be welcome, please.

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Altone wrote: »
    I would like to utilise my original hard drive from the Foxsat HDR as a back-up, but I am unsure which caddy to purchase, your advice would be welcome, please.

The cheapest you can find. :D

I use a drop in cradle

I have used 3 of these for a couple of years

http://www.allcam.biz/catalog/product_info.php?ref=7&products_id=693

You can now get more sophisticated ones with multiple drive slots that will duplicate one drive to another.

I also have one of these that will coonect virtually any drive pata or sata to a pc in seconds. Very Handy

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/PC---Mac-Cables/Sandberg/Sandberg-USB-All-In-1-Hard-Disk-Link
  • Options
    JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try and find one with a power switch!

That way, if you only use it occasionally you can switch it off when not in use without disconnecting it and reconnecting it each time you need it.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jepson wrote: »
    Try and find one with a power switch!

That way, if you only use it occasionally you can switch it off when not in use without disconnecting it and reconnecting it each time you need it.

The ones I linked to and the universal one all have power switches on the cradle. The seperate power supply units will remain powered though unless you can find one with a switch on the psu.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks grahamlthompson and Jepson for your advice.

I have taken your advice, grahamlthompson and ordered a docking station.
    Many thanks.
  • Options
    JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ones I linked to and the universal one all have power switches on the cradle. The seperate power supply units will remain powered though unless you can find one with a switch on the psu.

I use a couple of ordinary USB cases for my backup drives and they don't have switches which is annoying. Something to look out for next time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Received my new caddy this morning, everything is working fine. Got one problem I cannot sort out, if you could help please.
    I am sorting out what I want to keep on my old drive, now in my new caddy. I notice that I have got four folders called sda 1 to 4, all of them empty. How do I delete these empty folders? I was able to delete the contents of the folders, but I have had no luck in finding out how to delete the empty folders. Thanks.