Options

Lost my entire Itunes library - anyway of getting it back?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello all, not been on for a while due to my laptop crashing and dying on me :cry: which has led me to asking this question...

During my laptop going down, I have lost all my music, TV programmes, apps, everything I once owned and payed for before it crashed. It goes back several years the purchases I have made and it actually quite depresses me in the way I have lost it all :(

Is there anyway possible that I can get it all back, or has it all gone for good?

Please, any help would be much appreciated :):)

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you could restore from your backup - you have a backup right?

in terms of recovering purchased itunes content, you could try contacting itunes support and asking if they would allow you to re-download your content again - they are not obliged to do so, but it has been know for them to do it occasionally.

any non-purchased content though is your loss.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    If you are subscribed to iTunes match you can just download the songs again from iCloud as long as their status is matched, purchased or uploaded.

If you aren't and you don't have any form of backup then begging apple to allow you to redownload purchases would be a solution. Though if you still have the old laptop lying around you could also try removing the HDD from it and putting it in an enclosure and seeing if you can get the data that way. Depends how messed up your laptop was
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethorp wrote: »
    If you are subscribed to iTunes match you can just download the songs again from iCloud as long as their status is matched, purchased or uploaded.

bear in mind though that itunes match only covers music, not movies or tv shows, although i believe that "itunes in the cloud" allows to you de-download purchased tv shows via itunes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know how I can contact them?
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody know how I can contact them?

Try this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Open iTunes > iTunes Store > Purchased.

Apps can simply be re-downloaded.

Purchased music can simply be re-downloaded.

Purchased books can simply be re-downloaded.

TV Programmes can (I think) simply be re-downloaded.

Ripped music can be re-downloaded if you already had it Matched via iTunes Match... if not, then re-rip it...if you still have the CDs...

I'm not sure about Films purchased from iTunes.

"Digital Copies" of films acquired via Blu-ray Discs can be re-downloaded if the code has not expired, or if the Digital Copy came on a separate disc with the Blu-ray.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »

Thanks for that :)
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may not even need to contact Apple, depending on what you lost.

As I said in my previous post, most (all?) purchased content can simply be re-downloaded via iTunes. Music, Books, Apps, and quite possibly TV Programmes (there's a section for it). Only one I'm not sure about is Films (other than certain DCs as mentioned).