Arrested Development

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Phew, I was worried about the 'Showstealer Pro Trail Version' watermark but apparently it was done on purpose. :)
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phew, I was worried about the 'Showstealer Pro Trail Version' watermark but apparently it was done on purpose. :)

I was unsure about that too. It did seem a very AD style in joke but wasn't sure until I looked it up as I thought maybe Netflix were running some software to try and prevent people making webrips of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just completed it.

It did seem a little slow at first, but did pick up some way in.

I wasn't sure on the focusing on one member on one episode thing at first, I feel the the stronger scenes are typically when more people are involved at once but the way it is weaved together is very clever.
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard all the hype with the new season, I have never watched it so started watching season 1, upto episode 5.

Why has nobody told me about this funny show. :eek:

Its fantastic :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 11 of the new series is the best thing I've watched all year! It is brilliant.

Have to say I didn't like the first few episodes but it finally got up to speed by episode 4 and it's been classic AD from then onwards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've watched it all now, so here's my opinion.

The new series is very clever, brilliantly written and really funny, however it is missing the little special spark that the old series had. And that spark is the chemistry between the characters and actors. It is very obvious throughout the season that a lot of the filming was done to accomodate the actors busy schedules, meaning that scenes in which the whole family are together are very rare. Those scenes in the original series were always the best.

In spite of that, I really enjoyed it, and I hope it's not the last we've seen of the Bluth's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr_me wrote: »
    I've watched it all now, so here's my opinion.

The new series is very clever, brilliantly written and really funny, however it is missing the little special spark that the old series had. And that spark is the chemistry between the characters and actors. It is very obvious throughout the season that a lot of the filming was done to accomodate the actors busy schedules, meaning that scenes in which the whole family are together are very rare. Those scenes in the original series were always the best.

In spite of that, I really enjoyed it, and I hope it's not the last we've seen of the Bluth's.
    Pretty much matches my view of it!

The writing is superb. The way that jokes in earlier episodes only become apparent after viewing later episodes is quite amazingly done, but often I felt some episodes would have benefited from more of Buster or more of Gob.

Hopefully if we do see more they'll have a better time of scheduling it in.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A failed experiment really.

Few TV shows work when they focus on just one member of an ensemble cast for the entire episode.

This is because few actors can carry a show.

Will Arnett (GOB) certainly can, and Jason Bateman (Michael) of course because he is so good at reacting to events.

But the rest are supporting cast really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched all season in one go today. I definitely will need to re-watch it back slower to get all the jokes. There were some brilliant classic Arrested Development lines and play on words and the whole thing was enjoyable but it didnt quite feel like the classic A.D

I felt the story was far to complex, and the narrator (Ron) got too much time per episode talking over people, to the extent that the jokes seemed to take a back seat while they had to constantly recap previous episodes to show how everything was intertwining. Thats where the experiment kinda failed, I know your meant to be able to watch them in any order but for the most part people will watch it in the order its presented and sometimes it felt like half of the episodes were spent with cut aways to other episodes just to show how clever the writers had been.
    Michael was no longer the voice of reason in the family, the guy you could relate to as he had gone weird and so had George Michael. There is that pretty huge unresolved storyline surrounding George Michael's spanish lady friend which I dont really like. I didnt like how it ended with George Michael and Michael.

GOB was fantastic, Lindsey was almost unrecognizable at first and Steve Holt had aged terribly but that was expertly written in. Shame Buster wasn't in it more, from what I heard it sounded like he was the least keen to do it so that might explain why.

But with that all being said I did enjoy the series, and I think when i re-watch it I will enjoy it even more.

Might be interesting if we created a thread for all the subtle series 4 jokes people spotted?

I think ANUSTART is probably the quote of the series.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    qwerty282 wrote: »
    Episode 11 of the new series is the best thing I've watched all year! It is brilliant.

Have to say I didn't like the first few episodes but it finally got up to speed by episode 4 and it's been classic AD from then onwards.

Episode 11 was fantastic, consider me a GONY shipper :D

I watched all of them on Sunday, well worth it. One of my new favourite quotes is "take to the sea!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SlashNX wrote: »
    Shame Buster wasn't in it more, from what I heard it sounded like he was the least keen to do it so that might explain why.
    I think Buster was also filming Veep, so might explain his lack of screen-time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    SlashNX wrote: »
    Steve Holt had aged terribly but that was expertly written in.

he hasn't, they made him look like sh*t on purpose. google Justin Grant Wade, you can see he's wearing a bald cap to give him GOB's hairline in the episodes
  • waterlooenderswaterlooenders Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying this season, up to episode 13 now.

The format was weird at first, but I really like it now. It's understandable because of the actors filming other things.

I love the different openings to each episode though! Really good, for both the character 'names' and the music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he hasn't, they made him look like sh*t on purpose. google Justin Grant Wade, you can see he's wearing a bald cap to give him GOB's hairline in the episodes

the bald cap was obvious, but Justin still has put on a lot of weight and is virtually unrecognisable from the old steve holt. I think they wrote it in very well
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which is sort of funny given Will Arnett (GOB) has had a hair transplant since Arrested Development started. :D

I'm really looking forward to watching these new episodes, if they are half as good as the original 3 seasons they will be worth watching.
    If House of Cards is anything to go by, they should be released on DVD later this year too.
  • DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Up to episode 5, the Tobias one. Starting to come together now. I'm probably in the minority who got the brilliant MST3K fantastic four cinema segment joke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can you explain it then please? :P
  • dubgazdubgaz Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im up to Episode 5. This was my favourite Episode so far. Poor Tobias :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    GOB pulling the mice out of Ann's (who?) ear was hilarious.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Doctorb wrote: »
    I'm probably in the minority who got the brilliant MST3K fantastic four cinema segment joke.

The fact that they actually got Joel Hodgson was an added bonus.
  • Mrs_Stig24Mrs_Stig24 Posts: 4,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    The big question is what has Portia de Rossi done to her face? At first, I thought it was a different actress!

Haha me too! Definitely looks like she's had some work done. ;)
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it all now and I'm so glad that I didn't comment after being a bit underwhelmed by the first 2 episodes.

Once the plot develops (and it might be the most densely plotted comedy 'season' I've ever seen) and you can see how all the stories are interlinked, then it really is glorious.

From episode 5 onwards it's wonderful (the Tobias, GOB and Buster episodes are as strong as anything AD has done) and I was in genuine hysterics at *no spoilers, but it was the Buster episode*.

The episodes at the start all make so much more sense now I've seen the whole season, and are all the more enjoyable for it.

In short, I absolutely loved it!
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The weak start did not help it.

So you have the first 4 episodes: Michael, George Sr, Lindsay, Michael...

Jeffrey Tambor is not what he was performance-wise and Portia DeRossi very much needs others to play off.

Jason Bateman is the perfect foil for all the crazies, but the crazies mostly weren't around.

From ep 5 it really get's going.
  • snossissnossis Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Really gets going' as a 'failed experiment'?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Really gets going' as a 'failed experiment'?

Same.