Open Office - anyone have it ?

2»

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    The Ribbon UI is a good reason for not using MS office.

Exactly. I can't stand it. The old-style toolbars were better.
  • goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    For how long? If your just knocking out a letter of complaint or something you'd be better off just using wordpad perhaps. The ribbon bar as said earlier is a very effective tool when your using the likes of Word for more serious work.
    WordPad from Windows 7 onwards has a ribbon based UI! :p

Speaking of OpenOffice/LibreOffice, if I recall correctly, certain Linux distributions come bundled with OpenOffice. I remember a college lecturer giving us an intro lesson to using Ubuntu Linux and I remember them saying something about OpenOffice being a standard thing featured in Ubuntu distributions of Linux.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of OpenOffice/LibreOffice, if I recall correctly, certain Linux distributions come bundled with OpenOffice.

Other than very light-weight distros (which might ship with Abiword instead) pretty much every Linux distro ships with LibreOffice these days.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Here is the direct link to the British English download of Open Office 4.0: http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html# (scroll down and look for the English (GB) - English (British) row)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    For how long? If your just knocking out a letter of complaint or something you'd be better off just using wordpad perhaps. The ribbon bar as said earlier is a very effective tool when your using the likes of Word for more serious work.

I got to use Excel and word at work. wordpad is disabled. thankfully I don't use word that often, but Excel is most days.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is the direct link to the British English download of Open Office 4.0: http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html# (scroll down and look for the English (GB) - English (British) row)

That's not a direct link, that just goes to a generic download page. The 'direct' link is actually:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.0.0/binaries/en-GB/Apache_OpenOffice_4.0.0_Win_x86_install_en-GB.exe

Did someone ask for it?
  • ShimanoShimano Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Another option if you arent too fussed about Powerpoint is Office 2010 Starter. It's cut down versions of Word and Excel 2010 free for personal use.

No longer available.

I use Apache Openoffice and find it fast and reliable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shimano wrote: »
    No longer available.

I use Apache Openoffice and find it fast and reliable.

That it may be but it's running behind Libre when it comes to various features. Like Office compatibility.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you edit existing documents (etc) with new software, be sure to keep the original versions just in case there are compatibility issues which aren't immediately obvious.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Shimano wrote: »
    No longer available.
    The basic Microsoft Office Starter 2010 is available free from here http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/26083-microsoft_office_starter
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    That's not a direct link, that just goes to a generic download page. The 'direct' link is actually:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.0.0/binaries/en-GB/Apache_OpenOffice_4.0.0_Win_x86_install_en-GB.exe

Thank you for doing that, mred2000. :)

...and we shall never know...:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for doing that, mred2000. :)

I hate it when people put ...... as a reply. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate it when people put ...... as a reply. :(

s2k was making a point with the 2 quotes he used. One of them said something wasn't available, the second quote proved it was and linked to it. Pretty straightforward, I thought.
  • guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used OO for years, no difference with MO as far as I'm concerned.
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    s2k was making a point with the 2 quotes he used. One of them said something wasn't available, the second quote proved it was and linked to it. Pretty straightforward, I thought.
    Correct. DS insists on 5 characters so it was either that or post a bunch of emoticons or something :p

Ok Ok... The link TelevisionUser linked to is the one I originally used myself and can verify its legit. MS don't provide a download link of their own since a) The latest version 2013 doesn't have a starter edition and b) its intended to be pre-installed on a new PC by the OEM.
  • Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found Libre office superior to Open Office myself.

Still prefer my copy of MS Office 2003 though. Ribbon? No thanks.
    Speaking of OpenOffice/LibreOffice, if I recall correctly, certain Linux distributions come bundled with OpenOffice. I remember a college lecturer giving us an intro lesson to using Ubuntu Linux and I remember them saying something about OpenOffice being a standard thing featured in Ubuntu distributions of Linux.

Linux Mint comes with Libre Office, which where I first encountered it. It was better than i expected.
  • cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a child in school? Or are you a student? You can get office on a website called software for students. much cheaper, although not free.
    Forum Member
    cpikey316_ wrote: »
    Got a child in school? Or are you a student? You can get office on a website called software for students. much cheaper, although not free.
    Alas that deal isn't so sweet now. The scheme was basically being abused so MS clamped down on it - so now instead of getting Professional Plus for £35 or whatever it its basically just a retail copy of Home and Student (a lot less features) @ £95. The discounted OS upgrades have also been scrapped :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alas that deal isn't so sweet now. The scheme was basically being abused so MS clamped down on it - so now instead of getting Professional Plus for £35 or whatever it its basically just a retail copy of Home and Student (a lot less features) @ £95. The discounted OS upgrades have also been scrapped :(
    Microsoft also clamped down on the thing with Technet products keys for Windows/Office products being abused. :(