Options

EastEnders - Kathy and Sharon...

lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm really enjoying their friendship, and I think both characters work really well together.

It's nice to see them getting on well, after their rocky history. They're both two icons!

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,404
    Forum Member
    Wait till Peggy and GrNt turn up, will be interesting if they stay pally then.

I like Sharon being part of the Mitchell's, she works well with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Wait till Peggy and GrNt turn up, will be interesting if they stay pally then.

I like Sharon being part of the Mitchell's, she works well with them.

I agree. Both Kathy and Sharon for that matter. It's going to be very interesting to see how the returning Mitchell's interact with both characters.

Kathy and Sharon have the potential to be the next Pat and Peggy, in my opinion. :p
  • Options
    PetrixlePetrixle Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    lou_123 wrote: »
    I agree. Both Kathy and Sharon for that matter. It's going to be very interesting to see how the returning Mitchell's interact with both characters.

Kathy and Sharon have the potential to be the next Pat and Peggy, in my opinion. :p

Not really, Pat and Peggy were the same age but there's a mother-daughter level age gap between Sharon and Kathy.
  • Options
    AaronwyAaronwy Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Petrixle wrote: »
    Not really, Pat and Peggy were the same age but there's a mother-daughter level age gap between Sharon and Kathy.

Eh, not really - the actor who plays Kathy is 60 and the actor who plays Sharon is 48 - so biologically possible but very unlikely. Are their on-screen ages supposed to be different?
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaronwy wrote: »
    Eh, not really - the actor who plays Kathy is 60 and the actor who plays Sharon is 48 - so biologically possible but very unlikely. Are their on-screen ages supposed to be different?

Onscreen, Kathy is 65 and Sharon is 47. They wouldn't exactly be like Pat and Peggy but I could still see them forming a friendship. Dot was younger than Lou and Ethel but was still part of their clique.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Sharon and Shirley give me Pat and Peggy vibes.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes Kathy is a full generation older than Sharon, Kathy was best friends with and the same age as Sharon's mum and her son went to school with Sharon. Before they became love rivals over Phil they shared a mother-daughter like relationship.

Although she doesn't look anywhere near her age Kathy should be 66 (she was born 1950) and Sharon is 47 (born 1969).
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon and Kathy are filling the gap left by Pat. Sharon works brilliantly in the 'shoulder to cry on' role and Kathy is slotting back in to the Square very nicely.

I also enjoyed their scenes with Shirley. They make a great trio.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like them and Shirley's sort of friendship at the moment. All three actresses work well together.

Out of interest, at what point did Sharon drop her hostility to Kathy? Even when Kathy wanted to make amends, Sharon couldn't stand her being back.

Here's another reason why Pat's presence is so needed. Her and Kathy were really close and I bet they'd have written her into knowing what Phil, Billy and Peggy did.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    bass55 wrote: »
    Sharon and Kathy are filling the gap left by Pat. Sharon works brilliantly in the 'shoulder to cry on' role and Kathy is slotting back in to the Square very nicely.

I also enjoyed their scenes with Shirley. They make a great trio.

BIB: Agreed. I really like Sharon, Shirley and Kathy as a trio. I prefer them this way than being pitted against each other. They make a really strong group and the characters/actresses work really well together.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Add in Shirley, and Kathy , Sharon and Shirley make a good trio.
  • Options
    jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,511
    Forum Member
    Agree with this but I think Shirley needs to be involved with them. Shirley and Sharon's relationship is dysfunctional but I think they care for each other but won't admit it. Shirley was so concerned for Sharon's welfare when she was attacked in The Albert 2 years ago and she felt sorry for her when everyone heard about Sharon and Phil's provisional divorce in the Vic scene last Thursday.

Kathy and Sharon's hostile relationship is thawing but will Peggy and Grant's returns throw a spanner in the works? Kathy and Shirley have a good rapport and I liked their scenes in the hospital when they were reminiscing about Phil and that McKlunskys scene with Ben.

I'm in favour of more trio scenes. All three of them have great onscreen chemistry and I think it would be a mistake to not explore their interactions further. I think Linda, Gillian and Letitia work flawlessly together.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,300
    Forum Member

Yes, Kathy is older and Sharon younger. Plus it is just the history of their relationship. Kathy was Angie's best friend, Pete was Den's best friend, Ian is only 6 months older than Sharon, Kathy watched Sharon grow up from a toddler alongside her son.

So, there is that generation gap between them in terms of memories, even though the actual age gap is only about 18 years.

ETA. I do like the relationship though, partly because the history makes it complicated with Kathy having been angie's best friend and also Sharon having dated Ian and more significantly Simon (Kathy's stepson) so there was that maternal role. But then they became rivals for the same man so Kathy had to start viewing Sharon as an equal in many ways.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with those who are saying that Shirley also works well in that dynamic, but Shirley's best friendship is with Denise. Denise is always with Carmel though so I don't see the writers expanding on that any time soon.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought Shirley and Sharon being friendly was good aswell.

Kathy and Sharon were great last night too.
  • Options
    ForeverKalfieForeverKalfie Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    I love their relationship, and the way it hasn't felt like they rushed into putting them together. On Kathy's return, they clearly still had a strong dislike for each other but we've seen that develop. I particularly liked when they went to the Vic, I think it was with Jane?, and Sharon was so determined not to befriend Kathy again whilst she was clearly making an effort, and then Kathy mentioned something and Sharon couldn't help but smile.

I do like how there are moments every now and then when Kathy seems rather maternal towards Sharon, such as when Gavin was trying to get to see her and then just the other night in the Vic when Sharon was getting rather snappy before Ronnie told everyone about the decree nisi.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Kathy and Cora become friends.

Kathy just needs a big storyline now.
  • Options
    KatEndersKatEnders Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Pat was Angie's best friend? Also Kathy and Cora are different generations aswell.

Kathy,Aunt Babe,Pam are the same age group.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old is Kathy. It always Confused me .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe Kathy is 65!

She doesn't look a day over 50!:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    I can't believe Kathy is 65!

She doesn't look a day over 50!:p

She definitely doesn't .:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cora and Kathy are the same generation. Cora was born in 1946 and Kathy in 1950.
  • Options
    kingcnutkingcnut Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Pat was Angie's best friend? Also Kathy and Cora are different generations aswell.

Kathy,Aunt Babe,Pam are the same age group.

Angie and Kathy were best friends but Angie and Pat were good friends. The problem is, Taylforth is younger than Kathy and also had a bit if 'help' to look younger too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kathy has been really underused recently. Is she going to going to get a big storyline?
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old is Kathy. It always Confused me .

Kathy was born in 1950 making her 35 when the show started married to 40 year old Pete Beale and mother to 15 year old Ian. Ian was later aged up by 1 year making the age gap between mother and son 19 years instead of 20.

As of 2016 Ian is now 47 and Kathy is 66.