Internet Problem

cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
Forum Member
Would Windows Firewall switched on in Win Vista block entire access to the Internet?

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 2 years experience as an IT Technician (working in a school) plus 9 years on my own plus a BTEC HND in Computer Engineering and Software Engineering

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=61845094&postcount=9

:confused:
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    cmorris wrote: »
    Would Windows Firewall switched on in Win Vista block entire access to the Internet?

Yes, no, maybe and huh?

Context is important. So are details.
  • cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    Unable to get Internet wired or wireless on PC but can get internet wireless and wired on netbook and wireless on ipad
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unable to get Internet wired or wireless on PC but can get internet wireless and wired on netbook and wireless on ipad
    Have you tried turning the Firewall off on the affected PC? Perhaps not advised for long term use but as a quick test should be OK.

But at least it will confirm whether or not it is the firewall.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    checked all the TCP/IP settings for wireless and wired links are set to auto?

also disable the anti virus

and perhaps also try pinging some sites to see if theres any response

but that sort of thing is teaching granny to suck eggs ;)
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    checked all the TCP/IP settings for wireless and wired links are set to auto?

also disable the anti virus

and perhaps also try pinging some sites to see if theres any response

but that sort of thing is teaching granny to suck eggs ;)
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Have you tried turning the Firewall off on the affected PC? Perhaps not advised for long term use but as a quick test should be OK.

But at least it will confirm whether or not it is the firewall.

To somebody with as much experience as the OP it is like teaching them to suck eggs, they would have already tried all.... Ah on second thoughts forget it!
    Forum Member
    I have done everything that I could think of as IT Technicians would do

ipconfig /all /renew /release etc
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have done everything that I could think of as IT Technicians would do

ipconfig /all /renew /release etc
    You obviously don't think much then ;)

I would disable/enable the connection, check proxy settings, do a malware scan, reset the browser. That's about 20 seconds thinking...
    Forum Member
    I have enabled disabled connetion lots of times to test. Did diagnostic and repair quite a few times. Malware, C Cleaner, Disk Cleanup. Rest Browser etc
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why didn't you mention this in the OP? As an IT technician then, you should be aware that giving all the info will help people solve the problem.
    Forum Member
    Yes sorry
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another good thing to try is to completely delete the network adaptor in Device Manager and allow Windows to reinstall it. However, if neither the wired or wireless adaptor is working its likely that the networking settings are screwed up. Has the PC had a malware attack in the past?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have enabled disabled connetion lots of times to test. Did diagnostic and repair quite a few times. Malware, C Cleaner, Disk Cleanup. Rest Browser etc

Reset router (using a pin), if switching it off and then on doesn't work?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Down right rude post removed by poster!
    Forum Member
    The router is fine as ipad connects to the internet by wireless and my netbook connects to the internet both by wireless and wiredvplus my phone connects wireless.

So the router is working perfectly

At present I am full scanning the PC for Maware and viruses.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Regardless of whether or not any other devices are successfully connecting, switching the router off for a minute is always one of the first things to try.

Background info on the machine and detailing any existing or previous problems is also important to help people diagnose it.

Actually describing the fault is also important. Is it connecting to the router? Getting an IP address? What error messages, etc.?
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What browser are you using? When trying to access the internet when wired, what messages do you get on screen?

Internet Explorer shows a "Diagnose connection problem" button when it cannot access the internet. What does this tell you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Another good thing to try is to completely delete the network adaptor in Device Manager and allow Windows to reinstall it

This should eradicate any possibility that any layer in the O.S.I. model.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were not previously using wireless it is possible that the Wireless Zero Config service is turned off. Check in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services. If it's off a) turn it on and b) set it to start automatically.

This service also gets turned off if you have loaded any third-party wireless card software, e.g. that came with a dongle of some sort.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if its got a cd drive then just burn a linux live iso and see if it works with the wired connection, will at least rule out faulty hardware

and check theres no pratting being done to the router such as mac filtering etc or site blocking done incorrectly
  • robert aldisrobert aldis Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    are you using avg downgraded from avg internet security suite to free avg anti-virus as this causes that problem.
    Forum Member
    Fixed it and all working Ok now. The LAN was disabled in BIOS and I removed card and reinstalled and all powered off and waited 5 minutes. It then came back to life and was able to browse we pages again
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    I have has same problem and its driving me nuts.

Yesterday I just got a message on laptop saying I was connected but the unable to identify network. Tried wireless and LAN and no joy.

Searched all over the web for help. Tried some suggestions but still no joy.

2 tablets, 3 other laptops, 2 360's and two 3DS all connect fine.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    kobashi100, are there any exclamation marks in Device Manager under network adapters ?
    Connect the laptop with ethernet cable and go to start then run and type in the box cmd and ok. On the black screen that appears copy and paste this ipconfig /all and hit enter. What does it say next to ip address and the ones below. Mine looks like THIS are there any gaps in yours ?