Iron Man 3 - Christmas

P-ComboP-Combo Posts: 663
Forum Member
✭✭
Why is iron man 3 released in april but set in Christmas , curious.

Comments

• HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never mind that. Why was Saving Private Ryan released in 1998 but set in 1944?
  • P-ComboP-Combo Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno lol haven't seen that film.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Come on guys! Spoiler alert. :mad:
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Batman Returns - Set during Christmas, released in June
    ...so what?
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because films don't need to be released at the exact time they are set. People didn't ask why they released 2001 in 1969. And people don't ask why they show 2001 when that was 12 years ago.
    Why was Die Hard on telly the other week when its set at christmas? Why do people eat breakfast in a film that you watch in the evening? Why is it so sunny all the way through Laurence of Arabia even when I watch it in winter?

Its like films are real windows to the outside world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I asked a simple question, And all I get is people being sarcastic.

I asked why a new film was released in April and within the film it was Christmas.

Not about other films being released in certain years.

Forget it!!!
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean, some films are set at particular times of the year, but the way IM3 is scripted it harps on about it being Christmas in the way that films purposely focus on 'the holiday season' when they are released at that time to maximise revenues
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P-Combo wrote: »

I asked why a new film was released in April and within the film it was Christmas.

Not about other films being released in certain years.

Forget it!!!

The sarcasm was because it was such a pointless question. What difference does when it is set make to when its released?
    Its set at Christmas. It was released in the UK in April, in the US in May, other countries throughout the summer. It'll be on blu ray in autumn and Sky by next spring. Not a single one of those things has any bearing on when the film is set and vice versa.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's a merchandise push?

Lots of Iron Man goodies in the shops at the mo'

Just in time for ..erm..Christmas ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's a merchandise push?

Lots of Iron Man goodies in the shops at the mo'

Just in time for ..erm..Christmas ;)

There's lots of Star Trek stuff about as well.
    I cannie understand why as we've yet to discover warp drive.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked the same question in the main Iron Man 3 thread. It's so much a Christmas film, there are all sorts of visual allusions and sight gags that specifically refer to Christmas and the way Christmas is portrayed on film. So either it was intended as a Christmas release and someone messed up, or Pearce and Black were trying (and failing) to make a specific point. It would be interesting to know what they were thinking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I asked the same question in the main Iron Man 3 thread. It's so much a Christmas film, there are all sorts of visual allusions and sight gags that specifically refer to Christmas and the way Christmas is portrayed on film. So either it was intended as a Christmas release and someone messed up, or Pearce and Black were trying (and failing) to make a specific point. It would be interesting to know what they were thinking.

They were thinking nothing
    There's no secret, no subtext. Shane Black sets his scripts at Christmas. That's it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    They were thinking nothing
    There's no secret, no subtext. Shane Black sets his scripts at Christmas. That's it.

Well, if that's true then that is a subtext in itself. At the very least, some of the shots were homages to other Christmas films. That doesn't happen by accident.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Well, if that's true then that is a subtext in itself. At the very least, some of the shots were homages to other Christmas films. That doesn't happen by accident.

If by homage you mean had a Christmas tree in it, then yes.

Christmas wasn't a subtext, it was a setting.
    Tony having brought what happens in the film on himself by being a bit off with Mike from Neighbours, that is more like subtext.
  • F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a Shane Black film. He sets a lot of his films in Winter or at Christmas. It is a trait of his. That is the sole reason for it I imagine. Nothing more. :) Just like JJ Abrams Loves his lens flare, Black loves WInter. Hope it helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    P-Combo wrote: »

Well there's an old saying; Ask a stupid question...

But surely the sarcastic responses actually answer the question. Films don't have to be released when they are set. Just because it is not uncommon for films set at Christmas to be released near Christmas, it doesn't mean they have to be.

Why was it set at Christmas? Because that's when the writer decided to set it. Why was it released in Spring? Because that's when the studio decided to release it.

Not complicated.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't the original (1940s) Miracle on 34th Street released in the summer? And that's a very christmassy film!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Wasn't the original (1940s) Miracle on 34th Street released in the summer? And that's a very christmassy film!

And Die Hard (set at Christmas) was released in July.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Saturday Night Fever (what was I thinking???)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care about diehard or any other films.

I was just curious to why a film was set in Christmas time.

I know you all think your smart by posting other stuff. But its called curiosity, not a daft question, If don't you ask then you will never find out.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    ^ All very true. And another way of finding out is to have poke around this new-fangled intranet thingy:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/the-truth-revealed-behind-why-iron-man-3-is-set-during-christmas/
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    And Die Hard (set at Christmas) was released in July.

Wrong! The first Die Hard was actually released in the UK in January 1989.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ All very true. And another way of finding out is to have poke around this new-fangled intranet thingy:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/the-truth-revealed-behind-why-iron-man-3-is-set-during-christmas/
    Thanks for that. Maybe some of the posters who said setting it at Christmas had no significance should read it.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Wrong! The first Die Hard was actually released in the UK in January 1989.

He means when it was originally released in the US.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having seen this last night I did ask myself the same question. The answer I came up with was that while it was set during Xmas, Xmas was not itself an essential plot point. It could have just as easily been set a few weeks before or after and still worked exactly the same. The Xmas setting was unusually prominent, though. You wouldn't get a holiday-period-centric film released away from the specific holiday (I'm thinking Hop, Valentines Day, Arthur Christmas).

I do wonder, though, if it being set during Xmas didn't actually add anything to the film then why bother at all?