Options

Anxiety attack and dizziness

ArtmuzzArtmuzz Posts: 576
Forum Member
✭✭
The beginning of last month I ended up in A&E.

I was sitting watching television while on my iPad when suddenly I seen strange colours appear in my left eye like an aura before a migraine then I suddenly felt short of breathe and my heart was pumping fast. With it I was feeling very light headed and I thought i was going to pass out. Anyway I was rushed to A&E where the doctors tested my heart, blood pressure and lungs but everything was tested as normal and healthy. I was sent home where I recovered the following day.

A couple of weeks later I woke up with a hangover feeling really low after a party the previous night. Later in the day of the hangover I was sitting doing work on my computer when suddenly I felt my jaw and back of neck getting tense and stiff and with it I felt my heart beating fast, feeling really light headed and weak as if I was going to pass out and my throat was feeling weird as if I had bad acid reflux. This feeling made me panic and feel really restless. I went out for a walk to see if it would clear but it didn't. I then went to bed hoping I'd be better the next morning. Unfortunately I felt light headed and a bit shaky the next morning.

I have been feeling like this for a month now. I feel spaced out most of the time as if I'm in a dream and I feel light headed with pressure on my forehead and bridge of nose whenever I am active. I have to lie down to get that feeling away. I asked my GP for a blood test and got the results only to be told that my bloods are fine. I am wondering if this is an anxiety attack since I have been through a lot in the past year with the death of my beloved mum who I was very close to.

Comments

• Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    I would have thought an anxiety attack whilst sitting watching TV in your own home would be unlikely, but not impossible. The trouble with anxiety attacks is that you begin to feel a bit funny and you get worried and it makes it worse - a sort of runaway thing. Had anything happened in the last few minutes to upset you?

As for the second one, I don't think what happens after a booze sesh is particularly revealing. A&E depts get full of people thinking they are having heart attacks etc. after a binge. Your body's on the rebound from some pretty heavy sedation.

You've done the right thing in going to your doctor and having the tests. Follow his/her advice. I presume they checked for low blood pressure, for feeling light-headed? But, in the end, your symptoms are pretty generic and could be any number of things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah everything was checked. My blood pressure was normal. My blood glucose was normal too.

I forgot to mention that I took co-dytromol for lower back pain I was suffering a couple of days before I had that scary experience. I was feeling a bit weird taking the first two tablets so I stopped them. I wonder if that's anything to do with the way I'm feeling?
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Artmuzz wrote: »
    Yeah everything was checked. My blood pressure was normal. My blood glucose was normal too.

I forgot to mention that I took co-dytromol for lower back pain I was suffering a couple of days before I had that scary experience. I was feeling a bit weird taking the first two tablets so I stopped them. I wonder if that's anything to do with the way I'm feeling?

Not just after two tablets, I wouldn't have thought.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Could be a lot of things - stress, bad diet, interrupted sleep, arrythmia, low-blood pressure, low blood sugar levels, anxiety leading to panic attacks of sorts, or a combination of things.

I had a similar experience about 8 years ago when my blood pressure would take a large drop quickly and I would pass out. Got my bloods checked, ecg's, all that sort of stuff, questions about diet, drug use, stress, sleeping patterns, even mental state and anxiety - with techniques shown how to deal with panic attacks - head between knees and deep breaths. Even went to cardiology at the local hospital a few times for further tests - tilt-table, and others I don't remember....echo-gram possibly or something like that?

I think my diagnosis was eventually an arrythmia that had worsened at the time due to stress and working night-shift a lot. Also when your health starts playing up and you haven't had that experience before of feeling helpless then that in itself adds anxiety, which makes the whole thing worse.

It hasn't bothered me since I stopped working nightshifts and got out of the situation I was in at the time, but I think there are quite a few people out there with slight heart....defects you might call them but really they are just slightly irregular heart rates - who can get these symptoms as they get older or in times of stress. The underlying cause was always there but it needs a few things to be going wrong at once in order to present a problem.

I'm by no means a medical professional so I'm just relating my experience as it sounds similar to your own. I also had a long period of symptoms presenting themselves but no apparent cause before I ever got to cardiology. Vasovagal syncope I think is the medical term for unexplained fainting. I think stress causes a large part of it personally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I think interrupted sleep is one problem I have since suffering this. I go to sleep but I wake up in the middle of the night feeling shaky, nervous, lightheaded and anxious. However, in the past week I've noticed I am sleeping better now.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Artmuzz wrote: »
    Yeah I think interrupted sleep is one problem I have since suffering this. I go to sleep but I wake up in the middle of the night feeling shaky, nervous, lightheaded and anxious.

I was the same. Part of it was working shifts I think. Sometimes I couldn't sleep for more than an hour, other times I felt absolutely dead and could sleep for 12 hours straight. A lot of the time I'd try to sleep and it would take 5-6 hours before I could sleep as it was just a barrage of negative thoughts and worry. A lot of the time I'd worry about something I had to do the next day so much I couldn't sleep the night before. There was no routine at all.

All that sort of stuff adds up and places stress on your body and eventually it will show. I think the mental side and the physical side go hand in hand in some things.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Hopefully, these incidents will not occur again but in the event that they do then by all means book another appointment with the GP and discuss the potential causes diagnostic tests and whether it would be appropriate to see a consultant.