COM 8 Winter Hill

digidoldigidol Posts: 378
Forum Member
Just noticed this afternoon that COM 8 (Ch 37) from Winter Hill has been fired up. No channels to be found obviously, but getiing good signal quality and strength.

Any other parts of the UK getting anything?

Comments

• chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    digidol wrote: »
    Just noticed this afternoon that COM 8 (Ch 37) from Winter Hill has been fired up. No channels to be found obviously, but getiing good signal quality and strength.

Any other parts of the UK getting anything?

Greebo mentioned this the other day.

Nothing from Sandy.
  • digidoldigidol Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    chrisy wrote: »
    Greebo mentioned this the other day.

Nothing from Sandy.

Ah sorry. Missed that thread.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    digidol wrote: »
    Ah sorry. Missed that thread.

Not surprising; it was buried in with something else. :)
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My TV often stops on channel 35 but not anything comes up as others have said.
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    Not surprising; it was buried in with something else. :)

I mentioned it in this thread about transmitter work. At the time I didn't think it worth reporting any further.

COM8 appears to have been running constantly since 14:00 on 26th March but with no real data just null packets. My scripts are checking every 10 minutes to see if any PIDs other than 8191 appear, or if the other muxes start to list it as a new Transport Stream ID - they don't reference it at the moment.

fmradiotuner - it is C37, I assume that's what you really meant else you've found something else, or are on another TX that also has an empty COM8 running - either of which would be interesting to know!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    fmradiotuner - it is C37, I assume that's what you really meant else you've found something else, or are on another TX that also has an empty COM8 running - either of which would be interesting to know!

Now understand you meant an empty Crystal Palace COM8 on C35.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like we have more preparation underway...

From WH two extra service table entries have just appeared:
    Service_name: "QVC + 1 HD"  -- Charset: Latin alphabet
    Service_name: "QVC Beauty HD"  -- Charset: Latin alphabet

and a new Transport_stream_ID presumably for COM8:
    Transport_stream_ID: 45056 (0xb000)

Winter Hill now has 12 transport streams in its data.

No PID changes on COM8 itself yet, still just null packets.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shopping channels in HD. Oh Lordy! :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Shopping channels in HD. Oh Lordy! :(

LCNs will be 111 and 112 so that you can avoid ;-) I happen to think the world would be a much less colourful place if everyone else had the same likes and dislikes as me, so I have no problem with channels launching that I won't watch. I have plenty enough to watch already.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCN 111 is already taken with 4Seven HD.

I wont need to avoid the Com8 shopping channels as I wont even bother retuning for them.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In an internet shopping world it's difficult to believe an HD shopping channel is cost effective.
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wont need to avoid the Com8 shopping channels as I wont even bother retuning for them.
    If your TV or box properly complies with the Freeview HD spec (which is most likely will), then it will periodically retune itself from time to time whilst in standby, so the channels will add themselves eventually!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Com 8 is now live on C35 on Sandy Heath this afternoon no programs tuned in.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it isn't, it moved to 110 last week.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=77706872&postcount=1668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I happen to think the world would be a much less colourful place if everyone else had the same likes and dislikes as me, so I have no problem with channels launching that I won't watch. I have plenty enough to watch already.
    Agreed, and it is very encouraging that space on COM8 is at last being taken.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bangers wrote: »
    If your TV or box properly complies with the Freeview HD spec (which is most likely will), then it will periodically retune itself from time to time whilst in standby, so the channels will add themselves eventually!
    Lol, someone needs to tell Humax, because this simply does not happen with their HD boxes.
    kasg wrote: »
    Not on my box it didn't, (see above) and I had no idea it had moved, not that I would have bothered with yet another retune anyway and all the hassle it brings for Humax users.
  • jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Com 8 has not started yet on Wenvoe, it is supposed to be using CH 37, my TV is showing no signal for that mux, unless that's running on null packets.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Looks like we have more preparation underway...

From WH two extra service table entries have just appeared:
    Service_name: "QVC + 1 HD"  -- Charset: Latin alphabet
    Service_name: "QVC Beauty HD"  -- Charset: Latin alphabet

and a new Transport_stream_ID presumably for COM8:
    Transport_stream_ID: 45056 (0xb000)

Winter Hill now has 12 transport streams in its data.

No PID changes on COM8 itself yet, still just null packets.

Let's remind ourselves of what QVC had to say about the expansion of Freeview HD on COM7 and 8 back in 2013:
    HD variants of PSB SD channels already in existence will do nothing to increase the diversity of the DTT platform.
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/86733/QVC_Response_to_Digital_UK_HD_Consulation_June_2013.pdf
    On that basis, I presume HD variants of QVC SD channels already in existence will increase the diversity of the DTT platform...
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    Let's remind ourselves of what QVC had to say about the expansion of Freeview HD on COM7 and 8 back in 2013:

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/86733/QVC_Response_to_Digital_UK_HD_Consulation_June_2013.pdf
    On that basis, I presume HD variants of QVC SD channels already in existence will increase the diversity of the DTT platform...

I agree with you QVC are contradicting themselves, their channels add little to the viewing public I would expect whether in SD or HD.
  • paul_mpaul_m Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although in 2011, QVC did reveal their intention to put QVC HD on Freeview when space became available. I created a thread about it here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=50641071

I don't understand why there's a QVC+1 HD but seemingly no QVC HD though. HD shopping channels are a waste, but I suppose are slightly better than nothing at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I agree with you QVC are contradicting themselves, their channels add little to the viewing public I would expect whether in SD or HD.

They are simply reacting to situations that arise in the best way they believe for their business at the time they are relevant.

Before COM7 they would object as an pre-existing channel to a new mux since it would provide opportunities for rival shopping channels to launch and take business from them. More shopping channels may also have created more pressure for a shopping EPG genre - which would lose QVC their high EPG slot 16 - so again they are anti.

Now that COM7 & COM8 are extant QVC's focus seems to have changed to taking up a chunk of space themselves. By launching HD they don't take up slots in the general genre so create minimal extra pressure for a shopping genre, and they take up more bandwidth that any potential rival then cannot use. Also, by being fairly early to the HD genre they again hold the prime shopping HD EPG numbers which they will hope to retain in any future reshuffles.

Just guessing, but it all about what is best for their business. Contradictions are irrelevant to the shareholders.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are simply reacting to situations that arise in the best way they believe for their business at the time they are relevant.

Before COM7 they would object as an pre-existing channel to a new mux since it would provide opportunities for rival shopping channels to launch and take business from them. More shopping channels may also have created more pressure for a shopping EPG genre - which would lose QVC their high EPG slot 16 - so again they are anti.

Now that COM7 & COM8 are extant QVC's focus seems to have changed to taking up a chunk of space themselves. By launching HD they don't take up slots in the general genre so create minimal extra pressure for a shopping genre, and they take up more bandwidth that any potential rival then cannot use. Also, by being fairly early to the HD genre they again hold the prime shopping HD EPG numbers which they will hope to retain in any future reshuffles.

Just guessing, but it all about what is best for their business. Contradictions are irrelevant to the shareholders.

Ah I get that I don't particularly like it but I get it.

I kinda hope that com8 has some dirt cheap very low quality shopping channels in SD that no one will watch, which will put pressure on the EPG operator to launch a shopping genre that includes any HD shopping channels!
    That would free up LCN 16 for local TV in Wales and Scotland.

Having 5 SD shopping channels talking up the space of one HD channel on com8 would leave 4 spare HD slots for other things.

I presume that other channels plan on launching as 2 HD channels on a mux the operator will try and put the equivalent of 7 on isn't going to pay for it to exist!
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As there some + channels that could join freeview by using space on Com8 along side of HD channels like Com7 .
    SD Channels that could be...
    CBS horror +1
    Pick +1
    Challenge +1
    Plus could be new SD channels to freeview....
    CBS Drama
    Sky sports news
    and others
  • BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Com 8 has not started yet on Wenvoe, it is supposed to be using CH 37, my TV is showing no signal for that mux, unless that's running on null packets.

It hasn't started at most sites yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    That would free up LCN 16 for local TV in Wales and Scotland.
    LCN 7 is likely to be freed up for that, and England.