Car Missing Isofix for Baby Seat

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,129
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi guys,

I am really hoping someone can help me out here.

1st, my wife and I are due our 1st child in 5 weeks and I bought a new car a year ago (in preparation for the inevitable). I got a Ford Focus Estate 2008 58 plate and was under the impression that all cars from 2006 have Isofix fitted as standard.

So when we came to buy our car seat and base I was assuming that I could just get a car seat base that has the Isofix. I since went to try and fit it in to my car but since discovered there are no Isofix fixtures in my car. When I bought the car seat (Mothercare) they checked that I would have Isofix and the confirmed on the details of my car I would be able to use the Isofix connection.

I also done some checking (via Maxi Cosi website) to check if I had to get the Isofix seat base and that confirmed my car would have Isofix.

I called the dealer who I got my car from (not a Ford dealer) and they said in order for Isofix to be fitted I had to contact Ford, so I did.

Ford said they could fit it but it would cost me £90, or contact the dealer who I bought my car from.

It seems to me someone is in the wrong. I am being told that yes my car does have Isofix when I am buying my car seat & base, but it doesn't. The dealer who I bought it from are brushing their hands of me, and Ford are going to make me pay for it if I want it fitted.

Can anyone advise me here? Should I be paying for it, or should Ford be fitting it free, should my dealer be paying for it?

The fact that I have checked and Mothercare & Maxi Cosi are both saying my car does have Isofix - something isn't right!

Please help!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ford do not fix ISOFIX as standard, as we have just found out. We bought an 08 Focus about six months ago as we are soon planning to start a family, and the other day we were checking for our ISOFIX points out of curiosity and they aren't there. After extensive googling we discovered they aren't fitted as standard, but when you purchase the car from new they can be put in for free, but after purchase you have to pay to have them put in.... :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you dont need isofix to have a perfectly safe car seat. I was quite happy with the fitting of all my car seats in my focus and there was no isofix involved.
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    I actually had the opposite problem - everyone told me my car didn't have it, but it did!
    Anyway, try not to stress too much about having Isofix. The seat belts work fine.
    Hope all goes well with the birth. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody Ford - they then have the cheek to say, something we could fit for free when we are making the car we will charge you £90+ to add it later.

No happy!!!
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i found out yesterday that even Volvo cars dont always have ISOFIX.
    This is a rip off, as my old vauxhall corsa had it as standard - so you would expect a top brand sold on safety to include it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody Ford - they then have the cheek to say, something we could fit for free when we are making the car we will charge you £90+ to add it later.

No happy!!!

If it was something you really wanted in a car, you should have checked the car had it before you bought it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No happy!!!
    And neither are we, as it is something we bought the car for, the one in the showroom had ISOFIX so we wrongly assumed our would. :(
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was something you really wanted in a car, you should have checked the car had it before you bought it.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

You wouldn't buy a car to tow a caravan, then go back to the dealer to complain it didn't have a tow-bar, would you :confused:
  • Rhino HornRhino Horn Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can buy the isofix parts yourself and fix them yourself too. Should only cost you about £20. My OH just got some for his customer, cost him £12 trade to buy the necessary bits and pieces
  • marknotgeorgemarknotgeorge Posts: 2,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a google, and found the 2008 Focus brochure here. I wanted to see if they were advertised as fitted in the brochure, but they're listed as a no cost option. Sorry :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhino Horn wrote: »
    You can buy the isofix parts yourself and fix them yourself too. Should only cost you about £20. My OH just got some for his customer, cost him £12 trade to buy the necessary bits and pieces

I wouldn't trust myself to fit them. I am useless at any sort of DIY
  • krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you dont need isofix to have a perfectly safe car seat. I was quite happy with the fitting of all my car seats in my focus and there was no isofix involved.

Agreed. Neither of the car seats we've had so far for our son have been ISOFIX, and he's been perfectly safe. I seem to remember that the difference in safety between ISOFIX and the seatbelt style car seats is negligible.

Bloody glad I didn't pay to have ISOFIX put in my Focus now though - I wrote it off last week! Old cars and concrete posts really don't mix too well it seems :)