PAL Complete Dog Food.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We have always fed our dog on PAL Complete but after having difficulty getting it recently I found it has been discontinued without a replacement.

Just info for anyone who uses PAL.

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still available from various on line companies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    It's still available from various on line companies.

I believe it's just the current stock they have. I couldn't get a speedy delivery though and some online shops had it as "not available"
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't they also do a SECAM dog food, with extra garlic ?
  • ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    I recommend Hills science plan to EVERYONE !!

http://www.hillspet.co.uk/
  • leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't recommend Hills, its rubbish and connected to the companies thats cut up dogs stomaches to see how it does in there! Those sciency feeds are all useful rubbish. Buy a quality hypoallergenic one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I second that ! Also I would never recommend one food to everyone what is good for one dog could kill another.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    We have always fed our dog on PAL Complete but after having difficulty getting it recently I found it has been discontinued without a replacement.

Just info for anyone who uses PAL.

I bought 6 tins of PAL last week.
    Forum Member
    I second that ! Also I would never recommend one food to everyone what is good for one dog could kill another.

Care to expand on your statement ???
    Forum Member
    I don't recommend Hills, its rubbish and connected to the companies thats cut up dogs stomaches to see how it does in there! Those sciency feeds are all useful rubbish. Buy a quality hypoallergenic one!

Again , care to enlighten us ??

We have used Hills Science Plan for the last 7 years , it was suggested by the breeder ( very successful one ?) at the time and we just continued with it , our setter is and has been extremely healthy dog , as is our 2 year old Italian Greyhound . You probably won't find two more vastly different dogs in size , and basic needs and they are both in peak condition. Hills cater for all different types of dogs whereas most companies just churn out one mushy mess for all types . I'm guessing that about 80% of tinned dog foods are WATER anyways .
    Most Vets also recommend it , although I'm sure someone will have a cynical view on that.

Can you suggest any alternatives , incidently ??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ZicoZ wrote: »
    Care to expand on your statement ???

Which bit ? The fact one food will not suit all ? I have dogs with problems due to allergies if you gave them a food with gluten one would be in difficulties very quickly and if the other has food with various things he will scratch himself silly making himself bleed. PAL would not be good for either of them and could kill one of them. And from looking on line I don't think I am alone many dogs need special diets just to keep them alive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again , care to enlighten us ??

We have used Hills Science Plan for the last 7 years , it was suggested by the breeder ( very successful one ?) at the time and we just continued with it , our setter is and has been extremely healthy dog , as is our 2 year old Italian Greyhound . You probably won't find two more vastly different dogs in size , and basic needs and they are both in peak condition. Hills cater for all different types of dogs whereas most companies just churn out one mushy mess for all types . I'm guessing that about 80% of tinned dog foods are WATER anyways .
    Most Vets also recommend it , although I'm sure someone will have a cynical view on that.

Can you suggest any alternatives , incidently ??

Sorry I answer the other post first - several food including hills have been tested on animals in quite revolting ways I can't give you links as they are too distressing but personally I would never use them due to this.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recommend Hills science plan to EVERYONE !!

http://www.hillspet.co.uk/

Are you a vet? Or work for Hill's?
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which bit ? The fact one food will not suit all ? I have dogs with problems due to allergies if you gave them a food with gluten one would be in difficulties very quickly and if the other has food with various things he will scratch himself silly making himself bleed. PAL would not be good for either of them and could kill one of them. And from looking on line I don't think I am alone many dogs need special diets just to keep them alive.

Hill's has 'maize gluten meal' added.

I suppose, at least it is made clear on the ingredients.

For a general food for a healthy dog, I don't think recommendations are bad if backed up with some evidence - even if it is only even going to be anecdotal.

For a dog with health issues - like your dog (Alfie?) and my Buffy - owners tend to be a bit more explicit and educated, so again recommendations can be helpful as long as the owner does their own research.

But Hill's is a rip off - there are better foods for less money.
    Forum Member
    Are you a vet? Or work for Hill's?

Just a very satisfied customer .
    Forum Member
    Hill's has 'maize gluten meal' added.

I suppose, at least it is made clear on the ingredients.

For a general food for a healthy dog, I don't think recommendations are bad if backed up with some evidence - even if it is only even going to be anecdotal.

For a dog with health issues - like your dog (Alfie?) and my Buffy - owners tend to be a bit more explicit and educated, so again recommendations can be helpful as long as the owner does their own research.

But Hill's is a rip off - there are better foods for less money.

AS I said both our dog's are in perfect health so we are happy .... and that is all that matters tbh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AS I said both our dog's are in perfect health so we are happy .... and that is all that matters tbh

So how they test the food and harm other dogs doesn't matter ?

Perhaps I am odd but I would be very unhappy to know any animal was used in that way :(
  • leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any feed I use would not have maize or wheat as a first ingredient. Neither would it have animal by products. Both = rubbish filler that is not good for the dog.

Harringtons, James Welbeloved, Burns, Aukarty, Applaws are all fantastic alternives. As a rule I look for a feed with no less than 20% of chicken/lamb etc and make sure the meat is the first ingredient, not by-products or wheat.
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im looking for a quality dry dog food - money is not a factor as i want something for the long term that he likes and my dog gets chicken at tea time and want some biscuit / dry food for his dinner that would go with his chicken.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of quality food out there TBH I would be inclined to have a look round possibly get some tasters (lots of places will send you a small meal) and see what suits your dog and your pocket. We use Oscars as they are gluten free and deliver and fish4dogs as they do the same, but obviously your dog may need or like different foods.
  • max25max25 Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orijen available from zooplus expensive but the best available in my opinion.
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    Any feed I use would not have maize or wheat as a first ingredient. Neither would it have animal by products. Both = rubbish filler that is not good for the dog.

Harringtons, James Welbeloved, Burns, Aukarty, Applaws are all fantastic alternives. As a rule I look for a feed with no less than 20% of chicken/lamb etc and make sure the meat is the first ingredient, not by-products or wheat.

I agree with you in principle BUT I disagree about feeding Dogs cooked meat at all as a general diet.

Try feeding your dogs on raw uncooked meat and or uncooked tripe. It really is the best that you can give your dog.

There are lots of current health problems if not primarily caused by then at least exacerbated by canned, packaged or dry dog food. I have dogs of my own and look after many other dogs, The ones who have switched to a raw meat diet are usually much healthier dogs compared to the ones who are on a tinned or dry food regime. I have seen dogs who've been having epileptic fits moved on to a raw diet and not needed medication six months down the line

Dogs in their natural habitat would not be cooking food for themselves
    There are some dogs that have glands that do not work properly because of the diet of tinned or dry food, when they have been moved onto a raw meat diet they do not need the vet to sort the glands out every 12 months or so.

The Dog food companies will do EVERYTHING to suggest raw meat is bad for your dog, Some vets will imply that a tinned diet is better for your dog, if so then they are more than likely getting a hefty percentage or making sure that your dog goes back regularly for work.

Raw food conditions teeth, coat, the internal dietry organs etc

I know a couple who feed their dogs on raw chicken pieces and initially I was very wary and shocked, having always believed Chicken bones will get stuck in the throat but that is only when cooked apparently and their dogs are very healthy and lively.

The only time I feed tinned food is when owners say that they would rather their dogs eat it, I never feed my dogs on tinned or dry any more
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you in principle BUT I disagree about feeding Dogs cooked meat at all as a general diet.

Try feeding your dogs on raw uncooked meat and or uncooked tripe. It really is the best that you can give your dog.

There are lots of current health problems if not primarily caused by then at least exacerbated by canned, packaged or dry dog food. I have dogs of my own and look after many other dogs, The ones who have switched to a raw meat diet are usually much healthier dogs compared to the ones who are on a tinned or dry food regime. I have seen dogs who've been having epileptic fits moved on to a raw diet and not needed medication six months down the line

Dogs in their natural habitat would not be cooking food for themselves
    There are some dogs that have glands that do not work properly because of the diet of tinned or dry food, when they have been moved onto a raw meat diet they do not need the vet to sort the glands out every 12 months or so.

The Dog food companies will do EVERYTHING to suggest raw meat is bad for your dog, Some vets will imply that a tinned diet is better for your dog, if so then they are more than likely getting a hefty percentage or making sure that your dog goes back regularly for work.

Raw food conditions teeth, coat, the internal dietry organs etc

I know a couple who feed their dogs on raw chicken pieces and initially I was very wary and shocked, having always believed Chicken bones will get stuck in the throat but that is only when cooked apparently and their dogs are very healthy and lively.

The only time I feed tinned food is when owners say that they would rather their dogs eat it, I never feed my dogs on tinned or dry any more

In principle you are right but people have to feed what is both convenient and palatable to them, as a vegetarian I could not feed raw and it would be very inconvenient too as we travel about at the weekend a scoop of dry is easy to carry raw carcasses not so much.
    Also some dogs can't eat raw - Duncan is allergic to many foods but if they are cooked he can tolerate them in small quantities, fish is the best food for him and I can't imagine in the wild he would be catching his own salmon ot whiting :D
  • Lisa23Lisa23 Posts: 10,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We use simpsons premium dried food and you can add water too it. It's available online. Our boxer loves it. They have versions for dogs with allergies.