Options

Israel uses British emergency law to banish activist from his own home :(

CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
Forum Member
✭✭
Unbelievable :(

Mandate-era regulation invoked to stifle protest against Jewish settler groups in East Jerusalem
The Israeli military is making rare use of an emergency regulation enacted by the British Mandate in 1945 to order the temporary banishment of a Palestinian activist from his home city of Jerusalem.

Adnan Gheith, 35, faces expulsion for four months from the city because of his part in protests at mounting encroachment by Jewish settler groups in the politically ultra-sensitive Silwan neighbourhood of inner-city Arab East Jerusalem.

Use of the 65-year-old order follows a wave of protests against government-backed plans to demolish at least 22 Palestinian homes to make way for an Israeli-sponsored, biblically inspired tourism park.

The move comes as a confidential new report by senior diplomats from EU states warns that current attempts to "integrate" East Jerusalem into Israel "endanger the chance of a sustainable peace on the basis of two states". All the EU members, including Britain, regard the annexation of East Jerusalem as illegal.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-uses-british-emergency-law-to-banish-activist-2169416.html

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Does the age of the regulation really matter?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chaddy wrote: »
    Does the age of the regulation really matter?

You don't see a problem in a foreign country using our laws (as an excuse) for their own purposes ? How would you like it if our Government started to use Soviet-era laws against British citizens ?

Can I ask if you condone what Israel's done ?
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no its not wrong thread, just shows how far this is being twisted for propaganda purposes.

Yet again the propaganda machine rolls out an evil Israel picture. SUre it sucks having to give up your house, but every nation has compulsory purchase laws and orders which are often used to build new developments.

here is a quote from an old article from 2009 on the issue

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/plan-for-tourist-theme-park-raises-jerusalem-tensions-1638521.html

The municipality has raised the possibility of compensation but like Mr Qafishi, he says he will not accept it and adds he turned down a $10m offer for the house 12 years ago. He refers to Mayor Barkat's description of Bustan as "The Valley of the King" and says: "Would King David have agreed to have me evicted from my house to build a garden in his name? I don't think so."

So basically we have people turning down serious money in order to play propaganda games and show Israel as evil monster yet again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TM, why is Israel using other countries' laws (outdated may I add), for it's own goals ? - do you think that that's right ?
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    TM, why is Israel using other countries' laws (outdated may I add), for it's own goals ? - do you think that that's right ?

It is their own law dosnt matter the origin of it. IF it was not a legally recognized law it could then be challenge in the courts. You forget that Israel is a democracy and still allows people to challenge law in the courts.

It is just the same as UK has countless laws drawn up by the EU, we have just rubber stamped them in our own parliament to become law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is their own law dosnt matter the origin of it. IF it was not a legally recognized law it could then be challenge in the courts. You forget that Israel is a democracy and still allows people to challenge law in the courts.

It is just the same as UK has countless laws drawn up by the EU, we have just rubber stamped them in our own parliament to become law.

You can't compare our involvement in the EU and that of Israel using out-dated and unwarranted laws for it's own purposes.

Can you not see how wrong that is ?
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't compare our involvement in the EU and that of Israel using out-dated and unwarranted laws for it's own purposes.

Can you not see how wrong that is ?

Why are you not as concerned about Christians having to flee from Islamic countries and the attacks on them even in West Bank and Gaza .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    Why are you not as concerned about Christians having to flee from Islamic countries and the attacks on them even in West Bank and Gaza .

You mean something like this :

U.S. State Department: Israel is not a tolerant society
    Report claims Israel discriminates against Muslims, Reform Jews, Christians, women and Bedouin.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/u-s-state-department-israel-is-not-a-tolerant-society-1.4683

Yes folks; it's Israel that's being mentioned there (not any other country).

The most tolerant and democratic nation in the ME :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't see a problem in a foreign country using our laws (as an excuse) for their own purposes ? How would you like it if our Government started to use Soviet-era laws against British citizens ?

Can I ask if you condone what Israel's done ?

Didn't Palestians use our laws to try and bring legal convictions against Isreali representatives visiting the UK a few months ago?

If the laws are there, then boths sides will use them to their own ends. Although it is wrong to do so.