"Impossible" by James Arthur already #1 on iTunes UK and Ireland

Comments

• EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hermanazo wrote: »
    By the way the lead is the same on the Irish iTunes.
    Chart threads in several fora are predicting bigger first-week sales than Cannonball.

Cannonball's first week sales were quite terrible though.....only 200k for an X Factor winner's single.
  • HermanazoHermanazo Posts: 2,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At this stage last year, Little Mix were outselling the #2 song by a "mere" 3 to 1.
    Impossible could sell close to 100K just today!
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c'mon, james, mi lad!!
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    It's so cute and charitable that Cher Lloyd allowed him to record her sloppy cast-offs!! I didn't realise she was big enough to have a tribute act already but I guess I just underestimated her yet again. Silly me! I should have guessed when he paid homage to her dubstep anthem Dub On The Track.
  • jamesarthurjamesarthur Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    rombod wrote: »
    It's so cute and charitable that Cher Lloyd allowed him to record her sloppy cast-offs!! I didn't realise she was big enough to have a tribute act already but I guess I just underestimated her yet again. Silly me! I should have guessed when he paid homage to her dubstep anthem Dub On The Track.

Congrats on one of the most stupid posts ive seen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member

I'm going to assume you are being sarcastic to have a dig at James but incase you are not; It's a Shontelle song.

Cher may have sang it on the show (honestly didn't pay her much attention) but it doesn't make it her song and she certainly has no say on what James is allowed to sing.
    Forum Member
    Congrats on one of the most stupid posts ive seen

Congrats on your lack of punctuation and rule-breaking personal attack on me.
    Cher may have sang it on the show (honestly didn't pay her much attention) but it doesn't make it her song and she certainly has no say on what James is allowed to sing.

This song was originally recorded as her winner's song and then suddenly James has recorded and released it. Enough said...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    I'm going to assume you are being sarcastic to have a dig at James but incase you are not; It's a Shontelle song.

I think the OP meant Impossible was also Cher's winner single.
    Forum Member
    This song was originally recorded as her winner's song and then suddenly James has recorded and released it. Enough said...

She didn't even get to sing it then. So it's not up to her. Cher is not that important. And James has said he didn't choose the song. Maybe the producers like it as a winners song? I doubt James knows her version or even cares.
    Forum Member
    She didn't even get to sing it then. So it's not up to her. Cher is not that important. And James has said he didn't choose the song. Maybe the producers like it as a winners song? I doubt James knows her version or even cares.

A brave poet once said "Those who look with eyes closed see only the darkness of their eye lids"...
  • jamesarthurjamesarthur Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    A brave poet once said "Those who look with eyes closed see only the darkness of their eye lids"...

Why did you come onto this thread in the 1st place?

Cher Lloyd had no rights or nothing to do with the song, exactly same scenario as James. She was given a list and chose that one for her winners song. She did not win, James did win.

His version probably a lot better than hers.... off you go.
    Forum Member
    Why did you come onto this thread in the 1st place?

His version probably a lot better than hers.... off you go.

Oh I didn't know you were recently crowned the Overlord of the DigitalSpy Forum, granted with the power to banish people from threads, I guess I must have missed your coronation ceremony.

A brave poet once said "Those who cannot bear the weight of truth tell it to go away"...
    Forum Member

Okay I hear you but I like James version, you might not, I know it's a cover but I don't even mind because its a damn good cover :)
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay I hear you but I like James version, you might not, I know it's a cover but I
    don't even mind because its a damn good cover :)

Damn right it's a good cover and the original wasn't by Cher Lloyd anyway.
    Forum Member
    String9 wrote: »
    Damn right it's a good cover and the original wasn't by Cher Lloyd anyway.

A brave poet once said "You can't stop looking at me/staring at me, be what I be/You can't stop it's what it's gon' be/my swagger's in check..."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A brave poet once said "You can't stop looking at me/staring at me, be what I be/You can't stop it's what it's gon' be/my swagger's in check..."

OK Rombod.:o
    Forum Member

A suited host once said The winner of the X Factor 2012 is James. ;
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incredible lead according to Buzzjack.:cool: Hopefully get first sales update tommorow.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Impossible still killing them on itunes. Outselling Will i am and Britney 8:1.
    Apparently could shift up to 400k this week. That would be incredible if it did. Really happy for him.:cool:
  • AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Arthur sold 187,000 so far, more than Leona, Alexandra and Matt Cardle at this stage. Gonna be big sales.

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/james-arthur-most-explosive-x-factor-opening-sales-ever-1753/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yay. I didn't initially love James Arthur but over his time on X Factor he became one of my favorites. I also really love "Impossible." Such a good song.

He seems like a genuine guy and he deseves it. Good luck to him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time was, that to get to number one, a single had to reach a million plus in sales...and that was average...
  • HermanazoHermanazo Posts: 2,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time was, that to get to number one, a single had to reach a million plus in sales...and that was average...

When? Only around 110 singles have sold 1 million in their ENTIRE chart run, and only 2 (Elton and Will Young) sold over 1 million in one week.

The average this year is 80.000 to reach #1. It went as low as 40.000 in the mid '00s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

James Arthur sold 187,000 so far so I dont think he give a shit where the song comes from. :D

Also its doing something good for someone in need so who cares where it came from. :p

But hey dont let the little fact that its doing something for someone in need get in the way of your bitterness. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hermanazo wrote: »
    When? Only around 110 singles have sold 1 million in their ENTIRE chart run, and only 2 (Elton and Will Young) sold over 1 million in one week.

The average this year is 80.000 to reach #1. It went as low as 40.000 in the mid '00s.

When? Well, the cynic in me would say when sales meant something other than ten weeks of free publicity on a glorified talent show...;)

80,000? Really? As low as that? Blimey...times have changed...