Survivor 30 - Worlds Apart

Comments

• starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like the way either of those eliminations went really, Rodney and Will just annoy me so much. Jenn kind of annoys me too.

What happened to puzzles at challenges? Not much chance to catch up in some of these. And obviously the merge has created a very imbalanced situation which is hardly good viewing.

The first elimination after the tied vote was very obvious in the direction it was going. That tie clearly indicated the voting was spread in case of an idol, I didn't need it explained. And the result was obvous from there. Luckily after the merge it seems the power has shifted and the meatheads could be in trouble.

The edit made it clear with all the remarks we got from Max and Shirin that one of them was going, most clearly the remark of Max right after the immunity challenge. Shirin's time I guess is numbered but I actually find her more likeable than some and the fact that the no collars didn't even try and win Carolyn or anyone over that I could see was ridiculous. It all just fell into their lap.
  • .:Tom:..:Tom:. Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    I have to agree with all of that except maybe Jenn who seems to be making all the right decisions so far for her game.

The tribal swap was horribly unnecessary as the alliances, tribal dynamics and competition between each tribe were all sufficiently interesting. As it is, I'm hoping a merge happens asap.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    Shirin makes me laugh so I hope she isn't going anywhere for a long time. She comes across as the most 'no collar' person in the game despite not even being on that tribe. I'm glad Max talked himself into getting blindsided instead.
    But I think Carolyn made a very bad move. It was a vote based on personality not strategy, she looks untrustworthy handing over the power to the others way too easily and is likely the most expendable one from her new alliance.
    Max and Shirin targetting Will wasn't such a good idea either. I think they should have targetted Jenn/Hali by making the others nervous about their friendship.

I wasn't too bothered about losing Lindsey, but I didn't want Rodney to stay either. His attitude is a major turn-off.

Agree that this does feel like a step down from the interesting dynamic that was on each of the 3 tribes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh I was thinking myself about whether this move is actually good for Carolyn. I was also thinking it could make her look like a shifty alliance jumper. The alliance jump in the other tribe made more sense with the storyline and more of the blue collar tribe to pick off. Ok we were told that Max was considered by her to be a huge gameplayer who could be a big threat, and that was the storyline leading up to the elimination, but it did seem more based on personality. But if things work perfectly you even take someone not socially popular to the end (they wouldn't get votes to win). Instead by making herself more visible she is now the gameplayer who people will be keeping an eye on. Maybe she thinks as she has an idol she can have a bit of leeway now, but ideally that idol would be saved till merge.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW Carolyn's edit doesn't scream a winner's edit to me. Her edit smells an epic blindside post-merge.

I also cannot believe Dan is able to turn things around from being the douche numero uno on day 1 to being in the safe spot in the blue tribe atm...he's really likely going far now because blue tribe is way stronger than the red tribe and no one will vote for him in the final
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starting to worry exactly why Probst was hyping this as a great season. Looks like all the loathsome, misogynistic alpha-males might dominate while the nerds get bullied out of the game. Just the sort of thing he likes, but not really a particularly enjoyable season. Only bright spots so far have been Jenn, Hali, and Joe.

Hope Shirin sticks around. Can't wait for Rodney & Dan to get taken out - hopefully a case of when, rather than if.
    Forum Member
    I do think that the reward challenge was an accident waiting to happen. Expecting those that are blindfolded to control a large wooden platform hoisted above their heads, it was only a matter of time before wood connected to head. Poor Kelly.
    Yet Jeff was getting mad at the players.
    I think once the platform had been raised then the caller should have been able to take control of it or something.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think that the reward challenge was an accident waiting to happen. Expecting those that are blindfolded to control a large wooden platform hoisted above their heads, it was only a matter of time before wood connected to head. Poor Kelly.
    Yet Jeff was getting mad at the players.
    I think once the platform had been raised then the caller should have been able to take control of it or something.

I suspect when they rehearsed it the crew operating the platform were intelligent enough to lower the platform slowly rather than just letting go. Jeff did his best to discourage the dimwittery but some people are beyond help :)
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    I suspect when they rehearsed it the crew operating the platform were intelligent enough to lower the platform slowly rather than just letting go. Jeff did his best to discourage the dimwittery but some people are beyond help :)

Even when it was lowered slow, if it was off balance it was still rocking from side to side and swinging at their heads. The weight of it probably didn't help either.

I don't think it was thought through properly and Kelly paid the price. Good thing she's a cop so could handle the blow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank God she didn't get evacuated because of the faulty game design.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they quite like the odd painful injury - otherwise they wouldn't have had all the obstacles at crotch height. What frightened Jeff was the likelihood of killing someone :D
  • ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omg I hate when tribes throw challenges so annoying, plus it was terribly thrown too.

Joe and Joaquin were both two people I liked so it was also annoying hearing both of their names brought up. Rodney should of gone!

Merge next week, woop.
    Forum Member
    A really good episode, this season continues to deliver. Usually the post-swap episodes, even in a good season, can be weak but not this time.

I was really rooting for Nagarote, the reward challenge was great and the actual reward was an interesting one.
    lol Mike in the immunity. I thought after Kelly's alliance with Mike was brought up last episode that it meant doom for Kelly this episode as her connections on the other side would have made her tribe nervous.
    Fortunately that wasn't the case. I'm glad that the Roaquin bromance was destroyed straight away. Wish it was Rodney that went though, everything about him makes me cringe. He makes one tiny move and thinks he's got the game all wrapped up.

It's funny that there are only 3 white collars left and none of them are really together.
    Forum Member
    Indeed it was actually a good episode and the challenges pleasantly surprised me after I assumed last week we were in for one-sided challenges. Nice to see Nagarote win the reward. On that note, Jenn is still giving me winner vibes. She took up a lot of the narration on the reward which centred on her chances of winning. Glad to see also Sierra make a good play at tribal. 'As long as it isn't me' is usually the best approach.

Glad the merge is happening already though. Its the right time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a fugly tank by Mike..how were his team-mates not suspicious?

Joe was dangerous to take to the merge and I really wonder what Sierra was thinking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also thought the throwing of the challenge looked too obvious, and it's possible some of them saw that but we didn't get the comments on camera. It's not like they were far away from the other contestants who had to be able to hear Mike talking aloud which is pretty suspicious in itself. The rigging was funny at least as it took several attempts. After the draw I thought they'd just pass onto the next ones up, but forcing them to keep repeating until there was a result made the throwing of it easy but also more obvious. Joe may have thought they were throwing it to get rid of him, there was shot of him not looking that happy.

The best thing was Rodney's face at tribal after the blindside. Also Shinin keeps in, I thought Carolyn sounded very cold to her. Carolyn said she didn't trust Shinin as she had talked to others but it looked likely that it was just the personal dislike that she wasn't admitting to.

Tyler after getting lots of confessionals before is now getting none. Rodney to me seems to be getting set up for a downfall with all the over the top comments.

The reward of watching a turtle go on the beach didn't sound that amazing but we had the requisite amazed comments to make it seem better. The challenge seemed to be aiming at a target at some distance away which was good.
  • roastyroasty Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Another good episode.

This is obviously a great cast. I would say, though, that Survivor is going down the Big Brother UK kind of route in that they are beginning to cast lots of crazy personalities and oddballs, so it's much less of a true-to-life social experiment than simply a TV show. Not really a criticism, but I don't know if we're seeing that much strategy this season really.

I really don't know how it's all going to pan out. Given all the awful sexist things all the Blue Collar men have been saying all season I really hope the editors are setting them up to get theirs, but who knows. Going into the merge it looks like Kelly will hop over the other tribe, Joe does the same. Rodney and Tyler are the two question marks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    hope for good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roasty wrote: »
    they are beginning to cast lots of crazy personalities and oddballs

Surely there's nothing new in that.
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    Joe may have thought they were throwing it to get rid of him, there was shot of him not looking that happy.

Even Will noticed Joe's face after the challenge (he mentions it in one of his extra confessionals on youtube) so it must have been pretty bad. The No Collars are going to be surprised and extremely relieved to see Joe's still in the game.

I guess we'll find out just how foolish it was to keep Joe, but who knows what kind of damage Rodney/Joaquin could have done in the future. Their egos were already getting ahead of themselves. I could almost see them becoming a bit like Tony/Woo where they start jumping from alliance to alliance.
    Joe seems like a pretty stand-up honest guy in comparison, with some fabulous hair I must say.
    starry wrote: »
    Also Shinin keeps in, I thought Carolyn sounded very cold to her. Carolyn said she didn't trust Shinin as she had talked to others but it looked likely that it was just the personal dislike that she wasn't admitting to.

Agreed, that's why I've kind of gone off Carolyn. The dislike her and Joaquin showed for Max and Shirin was a little too OTT since they came across as just mildly irritating.
    Carolyn is far too stubborn to admit that what she did was out of personal feelings. She even thinks she's in a good position now.
    I'm not so sure about that, especially since Max/Shirin showed no intention of getting rid of her. Maybe it's different to her but for me it feels like she's gone from a solid 3-person alliance with the chance of pulling in Kelly, to becoming a tag-along to an alliance she has little in common with and the No Collars will be wanting to re-align with Joe. All it would take is for the No Collars to decide to keep Shirin around and conclude that Kelly's stronger and Carolyn is screwed. She's basically taken herself from a possible power position to being insignificant.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Just caught up, I think it may be shaping up to be a good one!
    Forum Member
    As I predicted, Jenn becoming a strategic force and Joe effective at individual immunity after the merge. This episode should do down as one of the best.
  • ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I loved this episode, tribal was good :D I think I always prefer when it gets to the merge tbh.

Only thing I didn't get was Will voting Hali, when everyone else voted Jenn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will was told to vote Hali in the program, it was a secret way to test his loyalty apparently. Peculiar as he'd wonder why nobody else voted for her, so how would that help loyalty?

Jenn is not that strategic a force, she simply had an idol. She's been getting plenty of confessionals which means many think she gets to the end and that gets her support. However I don't see why she wouldn't continue to be a target, she found an idol and kept it secret after all. Now it's been flushed out. She nearly won the immunity challenge as well.
    Forum Member
    Poor Will, he looked like a real spare part there among all that drama. No Collar won't trust him now and he won't trust the other alliance.

I'm glad Jenn used the idol. She can be quite abrupt but she's a refreshing person to watch.
    Voting out Kelly was probably the best decision since her stable personality would bring some unity to the Blue Collars. Meanwhile Mike/Rodney and Sierra/Dan have tension.

This cast is a pretty great one. Even though Rodney is annoying he can also be amusing. Just please do not let him get any kind of power in the game!!!