Anyone Got Jet Lag Tips / Cures ?

barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,944
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi , am going on a long flight soon and suffer from bad jetlag when I get back home .Anyone got any tried and trusted tips for beating it ?

Comments

• DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Have a meal with a couple of drinks, then sleep for a few hours (if in the middle of the day), then get a good night sleep. Seems to work for me going back and forth from the US.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    barrowgirl wrote: »
    Hi , am going on a long flight soon and suffer from bad jetlag when I get back home .Anyone got any tried and trusted tips for beating it ?

Different for everyone.

For East Coast North America visits I've started taking daytime flights back to the UK. Ok, I pay for an extra hotel night an airport hotel - but that is often offset by the cheaper morning flight. Arrive back into the UK at around 8pm when it is dark or getting dark in the summer and it seems to auto-reset my body clock.

For overnighters, I get home, put whites in the washing machine for an intensive cycle, shower, then get into bed to sleep for 2 hours. Get up, put washing out on line, put the coloureds in the machine, have breakfast then go for a walk or to the gym depending on the weather.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people that go away for short periods don't change their timings.
  • alr837alr837 Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best way for me is to set my watch to the destination time as soon as I get on the plane, and then try and have a nap if it is night time at the destination.

Generally I don't sleep well the night before a flight, so having a nap isn't too much of a problem! Then, the other end, I will force myself to stay up until it is bed time - if I'm exhausted then I'll have an early night, and if I'm quite fresh, then I just have a slightly later night.

Usually seems to work with no problems. The only time I didn't follow this I was a wreck for 3 days, so never again!
  • AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on a lot of long haul flights to the West Coast of the US and when I return home I always put my watch forward to GMT time as soon as I get on the plane.Jet lag is all in the mind so, by tricking my brain into thinking I'm back on GMT, I don't suffer too much.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where are you travelling to and what time is your return flight. I've always from westbound return flights to be hardest. Personally I wouldn't take a nap in the middle of the day, if your flight is overnight and you didn't get any sleep then try and stay awake during the day and go to sleep in the evening.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    Basically when you get to the country go to bed when you would normally over their and you should adapt quick thats what I did and I was fine.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had jet lag, I never sleep on a flight so perhaps that makes a difference. Ido long haul at least once a year.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On boarding the plane, change your watch to the destination time, and on arrival, stay in daylight as much as possible.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been on a lot of long haul flights to the West Coast of the US and when I return home I always put my watch forward to GMT time as soon as I get on the plane.Jet lag is all in the mind so, by tricking my brain into thinking I'm back on GMT, I don't suffer too much.

Exactly what I do - and I NEVER drink alcohol on a flight as the dehydration affects you too.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Exactly what I do - and I NEVER drink alcohol on a flight as the dehydration affects you too.

The thought of a long haul flight without alcohol sounds terrible. One of the joys of flying is getting quietly sloshed then having a long sleep during the day. There's an easy cure for dehydration - drink water.

Getting over jet lag is different for business and leisure travel. When on holiday, it never really affects me as you eat and can sleep whenever you want. It's tougher when travelling for work when you have to be in meetings, doing a presentation or be out for a meal when you'd normally be in bed. That's when you have to get by with a combination of will power, caffeine and alcohol in varying combinations.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Viz top tip: Avoid jet lag by simply taking an earlier flight, thus arriving fully refreshed and on time.