Options

Hidden testcard

Comments

• Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Tevion PVR801. Works. Black screen from code entry to testcard display.
    Humax PVR9200T. Works. Status page remains visible until testcard displayed.
    Pace DTVA. Status page OK. Code entered, black screen no testcard - ever.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    I presume it's so that BBCi on Mux B channels is consistent with BBCi on Mux 1. I don't imagine there's any way the regional data could be found if Ch105 was on Mux B.

Good point, I forgot about the copy on mux B.
    Also agree with Ian that the tuning in and out bit is interesting - maybe there's some status flag in a set top box that is activated initially, but it's have to be a part of the DVB spec if it were to exist. Very strange.

MHEG can save a small amount of information to your box (a bit like a browser cookie) that is retained until the box is switched off. Pressing YELLOW saves some info, and when you retune to BBCi it sees this and executes the code that allows you to press GREEN instead.

It's the same principle that was used on the TUTV PIN-protected services - once you've entered the PIN, this is held in memory. If you tune out and back in it retrieves the data that tells it you have put the PIN in, and just shows the channels without prompting.

Teletext also use it when you switch between services on different muxes, to tell the app which page it should be going to, and remember which service you came from (IIRC if you go to Teletext on ITV P200, if you press BLUE it gives you the option to return to Teletext on ITV - do the same on Teletext on 4 and it gives you that option instead)
  • Options
    paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Works on my Samsung iDTV. :D

Are there any other secret codes?

Interesting that you can change the 'nation' on that first page too - changed mine to Northern Ireland but couldn't see any differences. There's a 'test' one too - not sure if that's any different.

Very interesting. :)
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yep I got it
  • Options
    NetizenNetizen Posts: 5,041
    Forum Member
    I found when I switched to the TEST region all it did was display the 'Technical difficulties' caption instead of the press red prompt when I went to BBC2. All the news regions were still there though.
  • Options
    markelliottmarkelliott Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worked first time on my Sony VTX-D800U, 16:9 as well. :)
  • Options
    Big-lesBig-les Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan's Dad wrote: »
    It works on my Toshiba IDTV, but the Humax 9200 gives only the middle part of the card - just the circle - filling the screen.
    Can anyone confirm this?

Yes I can confirm this, same on my few weeks old 9200TB, and also Status screen stays on until the test card appears as stated in another post on this thread. My F2-FOX T displays it fine though.

Sure shows up the horizontal compression when displayed on a 15:9 LCD panel, why are they 15:9 and not 16:9???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Big-les wrote: »
    Yes I can confirm this, same on my few weeks old 9200TB

I've had it display correctly on mine (9200T-V.1.00.20), the only time it wasn't quite right I'd pressed the direction buttons whilst waiting for the testcard and the status display remained on top of the testcard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Works fine on the now ancient Setpal box. Same can't be said for the PVR which just sits on a blue screen forever waiting.

Didn't realise quite how bad the geometry was though. :eek:
  • Options
    paul_mpaul_m Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    highwire wrote: »
    1. Tune to the BBCi channel (currently ch. 105)
    why do you say "currently ch. 105"? it makes it sound like its due to move to another channel soon.

so the bbc dont have enough space to put the missing content onto bbci, but they do have the space for a full-screen mheg picture? with the test card being so hidden away, who actually uses it? if it was linked from the help section, it wouldn't be so bad. it just seems a bit of a waste of space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also works on Acoustic Solutions (Argos Alba) 15"IDTV.

The testcard takes 30+ seconds to download via MHEG data so doesn't waste that much bandwidth.
    Just wondered if BBC have a DVB-S (Sky) equivalent.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Why don't the BBC just make it freely available as channel 999? It's not a moving picture so shouldn't take up too much space. Or would it upset the manufacturers at the "cheap and nasty" end of the market by showing up the deficiencies in their receivers?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Great! :D (But why do they hide it so? :confused:)

Don't suppose you've found a 4:3 and 14:9 test card? ....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God we really are sad ! However wishing to join the 'most boring thing Ive done club' I tried it.

It works on my new Pana 26 LCD but not on the older Pana 37" Plasma.

too much Merlot - off to bed now
    :);):o
    Henry
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    efo wrote: »
    God we really are sad ! However wishing to join the 'most boring thing Ive done club' I tried it.

It works on my new Pana 26 LCD but not on the older Pana 37" Plasma.

too much Merlot - off to bed now
    :);):o
    Henry

yeah. i was excited after doing it. so much so, that i wanted to show someone else. the only thing is that when i did, they just sighed at me...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Nice find. Works fine on Fusion FVRT100.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Happily works and displays correctly on my digifusion 200
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It works on my LG 32LC56. Thanks!

John
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,258
    Forum Member
    worked on my digifusion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know what the setting to change the nation (region) does?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    highwire wrote: »
    You can display the test card on any reasonably new Freeview receiver
    using the following steps. Note that some older set top boxes do not
    fully conform with the specifications and may be unable to access this
    service.

This is the BBCi status page engineers page.. Part of BBCi Applications.. this page allows you to change your TEXT region.

If you press right key you can change your region :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone know what the setting to change the nation (region) does?

Make BBCi Applicaitions think you are in that region.. ie news pages will be from that region etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pkc wrote: »
    Make BBCi Applicaitions think you are in that region.. ie news pages will be from that region etc.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for clearing that up. :)

No problems.. when you change region, it will remain like that until you switch box off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MC2 wrote: »
    Great! :D (But why do they hide it so? :confused:)

Don't suppose you've found a 4:3 and 14:9 test card? ....

BBC us 14:9 safe mode.. I have never got a true widescreen picture on my digifusion 200 box..