Options

What to do with life?

samcheesesamcheese Posts: 1,830
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,

I'm in a dilemma.....I'm almost 22 and have spent 5 years working in catering....how that ended up I don't know. I loved my last job but had to find a new job because I needed more hours.

I'm hating the new job and realised that I didn't like my old job because it was catering, but because of the customers and colleagues. I'm now fed up of catering, I don't feel passionate about it and am bored.

A question I have for everyone is...have you always known what you wanted to do in life??

I'm finding it so hard job hunting when I don't have a clue what I want to do! I have 5 years experience in catering but want a change. I'm worried that new employers of a different sector won't bother with me due to lack of experience.

But first of all I have to decide on a career! I feel like I'm 15 again!!! I don't have a particular skill or talent to put into a job. I'm a guide leader and LOVE that but there's not many career options in Guiding unfortunately.

Any advice much appreciated!! Thank you

Comments

• Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    im 31 and still dont know for sure what i really want to do
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,526
    Forum Member
    samcheese wrote: »
    But first of all I have to decide on a career! I feel like I'm 15 again!!! I don't have a particular skill or talent to put into a job. I'm a guide leader and LOVE that but there's not many career options in Guiding unfortunately.

I'm about a year younger than you and in a similar position- I don't know what I want to do! (I've always wanted to be an actor but desperately need to think of something to do for a day job!) It's so frustrating when everyone else from school etc has always seemed to know exactly what they want to do isn't it? :(

How would you feel about the possibility of maybe going back to education and studying to be a teacher? You could teach in a secondary school to give you the same approximate age group of the Guides? Or maybe you would fancy trying to get some work as a classroom assistant or maybe a freelance lecturer or something?

I know someone who is 22 and is restarting university so that she can train to be a young persons therapist/ counsellor- maybe you might be interested in that?

Since you mentioned Guides I'm trying to think of stuff you could do with young people- do you want to work with young people or is that not something you would fancy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did think about teaching assistant. I would have to study part time, as I have a mortgage so I have to work.

I thought it'd be much easier working in a job I didnn't enjoy. Turns out it's harder than I thought!

Working with young people would be good, on an activity level more than a social work level if you know what I mean.

Sometimes it does feel like everyone else around you is so settled and knows exactly what their path is!!
    Thanks for the suggestions :-)
  • Options
    Masie_daisyMasie_daisy Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    I don't think you are unusual, I've always wanted to be a nurse (fingers crossed, I have finished exams and are awaiting results), but I am the only one in my group of friends (I'm 21 tomorrow) who knows what they want to do.

My suggestion would be to do some courses in what interests you, while still working in your present job, this may give you a better idea of what is required and if you will enjoy it.

Good luck in whatever you decide and don't feel too bad, you are not alone.
  • Options
    Ja'mie KingJa'mie King Posts: 8,445
    Forum Member
    I know what I want but I have to wait 'til there is a position available. I can't wait but at the moment things are uncertain as my current job is temporary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 25. Only recently have I realised 'what it is I want to do'. I want to join the army!

The catch? I was morbidly obese (bmi of 42), lost massive amounts of weight, going in for a tummy tuck (medically necessary skin just doesn't 'go back' after so much weight for such an extended period of time) and may be screwed out of my chance as the surgery may mean I'm unable to join.

I'm rambling a little - the point is it may take a few years for you to realise; you may not ever realise.

I'm now in the mindset of not being sure it's a good thing knowing what I want to do; as I may be unable to do it! :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alone wrote: »
    I'm 25. Only recently have I realised 'what it is I want to do'. I want to join the army!

The catch? I was morbidly obese (bmi of 42), lost massive amounts of weight, going in for a tummy tuck (medically necessary skin just doesn't 'go back' after so much weight for such an extended period of time) and may be screwed out of my chance as the surgery may mean I'm unable to join.

I'm rambling a little - the point is it may take a few years for you to realise; you may not ever realise.

I'm now in the mindset of not being sure it's a good thing knowing what I want to do; as I may be unable to do it! :(

Hi - My 17 year old son is going into the army in September so I do understand your career choice - Have you contacted Army Recruitment and explained your situation - surely if you're healthy after the op it shouldn't matter - I'm assuming your weight hasn't left you with any long term health problems though - best of luck to you:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've looked at the fitness requirements (for basic and obviously longer term etc) and can pretty much meet most of them (my heaves are non existent at the moment though!)

No I haven't been to the careers office; I realise this sounds stupid but I need this op regardless. I can't join with the apron I have. I figured going and finding out now that I can't join? Just another downer on top of having to recover from the op.

I did read somewhere that you'd be classed as P8 (unfit for joining up) if you've had surgery within six months on abdomen etc - hoping to have surgery n start the process (app/BARB etc) a few months after and when I'm back up to fitness?

It's just hard not to kick myself on all the wasted time/how I've ruined my body and potentially my chances!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    It's taken me a few years to realise this, but what I want from life has very little to do with the job I do. Working is a necessity, but it's hardly the sole life goal it's made out to be at school. I have a degree in software engineering and my own business and yet I'm thinking of packing it all in and working at a supermarket - less hours and stress and enough income to cover my costs if I'm careful - a very clever man once told me: 'you never hear anyone on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time at the office'.

Edited to add: That said, I'd do it all the same if I got the chance - I needed to try it to see that it wasn't the way I wanted to go. OP you've got age on your side - get yourself along to a college open day and see what they have on offer - 2 years of college and you can move on to do a year at uni and there's all sorts of help available funds-wise - speak to one of the recruitment folk and they'll give you all the info you need.
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a guide leader and LOVE that but there's not many career options in Guiding unfortunately.
    What is it about the role of Guide Leader that is rewarding brings you satisfaction?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I've looked at the fitness requirements (for basic and obviously longer term etc) and can pretty much meet most of them (my heaves are non existent at the moment though!)

No I haven't been to the careers office; I realise this sounds stupid but I need this op regardless. I can't join with the apron I have. I figured going and finding out now that I can't join? Just another downer on top of having to recover from the op.

I did read somewhere that you'd be classed as P8 (unfit for joining up) if you've had surgery within six months on abdomen etc - hoping to have surgery n start the process (app/BARB etc) a few months after and when I'm back up to fitness?

It's just hard not to kick myself on all the wasted time/how I've ruined my body and potentially my chances!
    Hey you don't know that - get rid of the apron - work on your general fitness and see what happens in a year - you've waited this long, what's another 10/12 months;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malaikah wrote: »
    What is it about the role of Guide Leader that is rewarding brings you satisfaction?

It's great fun, and amazing to see these kids go from little 10 year old girls, to 14 year old young ladies. To give them experiences they don't normally get in their individual lives, and the confidence growth in some girls is so great to see.
    You get to do so many different things and meet like-minded people and a great social life!

I couldn't recommend it enough. It's the best thing I've ever done. I wish it could be a job!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 35 and have never really had an ambition - I've worked in lots of different jobs, but now found that the best thing of all is being a mum and housewife.

It could be that, like I was, you've just not reached the stage of life where it's possible to live out your vocation.

I never imagined I would marry or have a child - then I ended up married 3 months to the day after I met Mr Deb, and had our Babe 10 months after the wedding. Life can change dramatically without you needing to plan ahead!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm 25. No idea what I want to do really. Just get a good job in an office somewhere and make some money. Not very ambitious lol
  • Options
    Ju411Ju411 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fi~ wrote: »
    are u me ? ;)
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    I'm now 36 and had total career changes three times, starting from the bottom again each time due to my lack of confidence to aim higher from the start. Each time I've worked my way up pretty quickly to get back into a decent challenging role (and more money :p).

So don't worry about changing. If you work hard and apply yourself you can still do well. It is a worry to change, but with a bit of old fashioned belt tightening you can probably get through that tricky period of having to prove yourself again.

Best of luck :)
  • Options
    CineastCineast Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Specktater wrote: »
    It's taken me a few years to realise this, but what I want from life has very little to do with the job I do. Working is a necessity, but it's hardly the sole life goal it's made out to be at school.

Totally agree - I spent years trying to work out what I really wanted to and feeling guilty for not having an over-riding career goal while a lot of people I know are off getting their dream job. I've tried many different types of jobs and the only thing I ever found for certain is that I do not want a job that involves targets. I like leaving for the night and not having to think about work till I go in the next day and it's on to something new. My current job pays extremely well, isn't stressful or too complex so it suits me at the moment but if it ended tomorrow, the only thing I would miss is the money which lets us have the lifestyle we have right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you not defer trying to join for another year until you're fully recovered from the op & fit? Is there an age cutoff?

If you really can't join - you could look at the positives & say that the army dream was responsible for you losing all that weight - which is a great achievement & will benefit you for the rest of your life. And then, the train for some other job that involves similar activities - like outward bound instructor, sport/fitness instructor etc, police, firearms expert, Medecins sans frontieres or another AID organisation etc... :)

To the OP: if it was the customers & colleagues that you liked in your old job - then you're obviously a people person - perhaps you could move over into the hotel business...? Perhaps via catering, waitressing etc...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I believe its 32 (or something like 32 years and 11 months) so I'm doing fine in terms of age limit. Just a case of now I've realised/pinned down what it is I want to do I'm being an impatient bleeder :D Anything worth having is worth waiting for though n all that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Im 27 and since I was at school I was into finance.. and have done finance now for 10 years.. Studyed it and did the degrees and qualifications too..

However at the beginning of this year I made the decision to change my career.. Took a 10K pay cut and doing soemthing completely new..

I think at the end of the day if you are happy then thats what matters.. I was unhappy in my old job but Ive been so much happier in the last month that I have been for a long time.

Have a think about what you want to do.. and don't worry about no experience etc.. Your still young and if you are passionate to get into something else employers will see that and take you on..
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    fi~ wrote: »

Nor me neither, :) and I'm 64 !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pinkster wrote: »
    I'm about a year younger than you and in a similar position- I don't know what I want to do! (I've always wanted to be an actor but desperately need to think of something to do for a day job!) It's so frustrating when everyone else from school etc has always seemed to know exactly what they want to do isn't it? :(

How would you feel about the possibility of maybe going back to education and studying to be a teacher? You could teach in a secondary school to give you the same approximate age group of the Guides? Or maybe you would fancy trying to get some work as a classroom assistant or maybe a freelance lecturer or something?

I know someone who is 22 and is restarting university so that she can train to be a young persons therapist/ counsellor- maybe you might be interested in that?

Since you mentioned Guides I'm trying to think of stuff you could do with young people- do you want to work with young people or is that not something you would fancy?

Hi OP,

I've quoted the above reply as that was the first thing that sprung to my mind too when I read your post and you said you loved your Guides work - become a teacher! You sound like you'd be ideal for the job if you really enjoy working with young people.

When I was in my wilderness years of not knowing what to do, I thought about teaching but quickly realised I wasn't cut out for it. But it sounds as if you are cut out for teaching if you enjoy being a Guides worker so much. It also means if you apply for teacher training you already have the 'working with young people' experience that is needed to get a place. You would just need to get your academic qualifications in place (if you don't already have them) then go for it.

I'm now in my perfect job after years of much-disliked office work. It does make such a difference to your life to have a job you love, so you go for it!

Best of luck!
  • Options
    freelance81freelance81 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all,

I'm in a dilemma.....I'm almost 22 and have spent 5 years working in catering....how that ended up I don't know. I loved my last job but had to find a new job because I needed more hours.

I'm hating the new job and realised that I didn't like my old job because it was catering, but because of the customers and colleagues. I'm now fed up of catering, I don't feel passionate about it and am bored.

A question I have for everyone is...have you always known what you wanted to do in life??

I'm finding it so hard job hunting when I don't have a clue what I want to do! I have 5 years experience in catering but want a change. I'm worried that new employers of a different sector won't bother with me due to lack of experience.

Any advice much appreciated!! Thank you

I don't think many people ever really know what they want to do. I'm doing OU courses at the moment. I work in a Bank and it's boring as h*ll. Have a go at OU courses because they really are brilliant. You can try different areas of study before embarking on something more serious. I think they offer free courses too (these aren't formally marked). I'm currently studying various subjects as I know that I'll come across one I'll love and hopefully that will be my career path!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    40 y/o and not got a clue.....I dabble in study and earn money where I can - Hubby is the main wage earner...I am happy in my indecision though! :D
  • Options
    CabbagesAhoy!CabbagesAhoy! Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwould wrote: »
    I'm now 36 and had total career changes three times, starting from the bottom again each time due to my lack of confidence to aim higher from the start. Each time I've worked my way up pretty quickly to get back into a decent challenging role (and more money :p).

So don't worry about changing. If you work hard and apply yourself you can still do well. It is a worry to change, but with a bit of old fashioned belt tightening you can probably get through that tricky period of having to prove yourself again.

Best of luck :)

This is great advice. It's never too late to go for what you want BUT, like someone else said, work is a necessity. You can pursue your dreams out of work too.