Options

Sky H D Box

bright sparkbright spark Posts: 191
Forum Member
Hi my brother recently changed is old Thompson SD box for a H D BOX but no means of recording. I s old box packed in and because he had sky protect they replaced it changed the dish. What I want to know is there a sky hd box that does not record THANKS.

Comments

• Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there is a Sky HD box with no means of recording - the Sky HD box. All other boxes, which are capable of recording, are Sky+ HD boxes.

These are usually installed just as multiscreen boxes though - not as replacements for a main box.

Not sure why his previous box was replaced with a Sky HD box though - unless he couldn't record on his original SD box either, so to save installing a new dish/new LNB/new cabling, they just did a straight swap of one non-recording box for another. Given that you said they did replace the dish as well, this doesn't make much sense. If they replaced the dish they would have fitted a quad LNB - and if they fitted a quad LNB they would have run shotgun cabling from dish to box, and you would have thought that they would then have issued a box with two tuners and the ability to record as well.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes there is a Sky HD box with no means of recording - the Sky HD box. All other boxes, which are capable of recording, are Sky+ HD boxes.

These are usually installed just as multiscreen boxes though - not as replacements for a main box.

Not sure why his previous box was replaced with a Sky HD box though - unless he couldn't record on his original SD box either, so to save installing a new dish/new LNB/new cabling, they just did a straight swap of one non-recording box for another. Given that you said they did replace the dish as well, this doesn't make much sense. If they replaced the dish they would have fitted a quad LNB - and if they fitted a quad LNB they would have run shotgun cabling from dish to box, and you would have thought that they would then have issued a box with two tuners and the ability to record as well.

Surely they would swap like for like? So if they had an SD single tuner box, that is what they would get in return, as they no longer do SD boxes, they replaced it with a single tuner HD box.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so to save installing a new dish/new LNB/new cabling, they just did a straight swap of one non-recording box for another. Given that you said they did replace the dish as well, this doesn't make much sense. If they replaced the dish they would have fitted a quad LNB - and if they fitted a quad LNB they would have run shotgun cabling from dish to box, and you would have thought that they would then have issued a box with two tuners and the ability to record as well.

Couldn't they have just installed the two tuner box but put it into single feed mode?
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    It does seem to have been an odd thing to do if they really have put a non-recording HD box in as a standalone box. If the OP's brother has a Sky subscription, recording would be included, as would access to at least some on demand services, which are also not possible at all with the non-recording box.
    :)
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the OP isn't giving us the whole story here - i.e. was it his brother's multiscreen box (non-recording) which needed replacing, in which case it would make sense to replace it with another non-recording box. Not sure why they'd have to replace the dish in this instance though...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    It does seem to have been an odd thing to do if they really have put a non-recording HD box in as a standalone box. If the OP's brother has a Sky subscription, recording would be included, as would access to at least some on demand services, which are also not possible at all with the non-recording box.

They haven't gone through Sky though, with a standard Sky call out, they probably would have done, they have used the Sky Protect service, which I believe is run by someone else, not Sky (Domestic & General is it?), so they are probably instructed to swap like for like, and may not even have anything else with them they can use (whereas a Sky installer will probably have other boxes on the van), probably allocated equipment for the job.

The account would also need updating if a standard box was swapped for a + box, again, might not be something they can do whereas a Sky Installer could.

Looking at the website, it is £7.42 a month if your main box is a + box, or £4.92 a month if your main box is a standard box (with all other boxes covered assuming they are no better than the main box), so that would explain why it was swapped for a standard box, they are paying less.

https://secure.skyprotect.com/SkyQuote/products
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, you're probably right that it was because it was a Sky Protect insurance job, but strange they should use their own people to change the box rather than just getting Sky to do it. I have insurance policies with Domestic and General, and when I've needed a repair on something like my boiler or washing machine, it's always been done by the manufacturer's own people, but maybe it's different with satellite systems, and they just use a non-Sky satellite installation company.
    The different pricing for insuring recording and non-recording boxes now sounds like a bit of an anachronism, as all new standalone boxes have been recording boxes for many years now. If I had an old SD non-recording standard box and it went faulty and couldn't be fixed, I would expect it to be replaced with whatever is now the standard box, an HD Sky+ box, even if it's a refurb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But then your monthly fee to Sky Protect would increase, so I doubt they could just "do it", all boxes are registered, so they know what you have, as it's a standard box at the lower price, that's what they'd send on the van, simple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's very true of course as long as the two tier pricing is in place for the insurance, but it must surely getting a bit obsolete now to work like that as the number of people with standalone non-recording boxes must surely now be low and dropping all the time (at least as far as domestic installations go, ignoring things like hotel distribution systems).
    I guess that the two tier charging is a legacy of possibly having to replace drives in recording boxes, which in the early days of the system were much more expensive in real terms than they are now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry I didn't get back soon just spoke to my brother he said Sky came out the old box had gone he changed the dish kept the single cable and gave him a HD box. .He as movies ,sport and mutv you think they give sky + and he is a oap. (SKY BELIEVE IN BETTER) what a load of b
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry I didn't get back soon just spoke to my brother he said Sky came out the old box had gone he changed the dish kept the single cable and gave him a HD box. .He as movies ,sport and mutv you think they give sky + and he is a oap. (SKY BELIEVE IN BETTER) what a load of b

You should direct your rant at Domestic and General who run the Sky Protect insurance scheme and NOT Sky - get your facts right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Firstly, they are paying Domestic & General, not Sky, and that is who they organised the call out with.

Secondly, they pay a lower fee for the standard box, and they replace like for like, to keep the monthly cost the same.

Personally, i wouldn't even entertain paying them, i would have just phoned Sky who would have done the job for £65 (equivalent to 13 months insurance at £4.92), and often you can get that reduced or even free, and they WOULD have given out a recording box.
  • Options
    scepticsceptic Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I would never bother with insurance, If a box fails I would pick up an as new 890w from a well known auction site, usually available for £40-50 or less.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sceptic wrote: »
    I would never bother with insurance, If a box fails I would pick up an as new 890w from a well known auction site, usually available for £40-50 or less.

Or cash converters or the like?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,522
    Forum Member

Rather pricey - as they are under £30 at Cash Converters :D
  • Options
    scepticsceptic Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Rather pricey - as they are under £30 at Cash Converters :D

True, but the principal remains the same!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi if was light for light and keeping costs down why change the dish there was nothing wrong with the dish not even rusty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi if was light for light and keeping costs down why change the dish there was nothing wrong with the dish not even rusty.

Ask Sky Protect, or your brother, they did the job, nothing to do with keeping costs down (changing the dish won't change the monthly cost your brother pays - changing the box to a recording one will), if they felt the problem was with the dish, they would change the dish, that is part of the contract, if that didn't fix the problem, they won't then take the dish back down, and have decided to swap the box, as he had a standard non recording box, that is what they got in return, if you have a problem, take it up with Sky Protect, run by Domestic & General (Not Sky), as they organised the work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi he spoke to sky cs they asked if he had sky protect he confirmed they checked and sky sent one of there own installer to is house. I have just variety, sky bb and talk I got free sky+ and free installation and replaced my working sd box over 2 years ago.
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you about insurance. In all the 16 years I've had Sky digital, apart from 2 home moves, I've had to call Sky out only 3 times and only one of those was for a box replacement.
  • Options
    SMILER30SMILER30 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    We have to swap the box like for like on a service call, it doesn't matter if you go directly through you sky or your insurance, so if you have a non recording sd box you will get a non recording hd box. If you wanted to change to a recording box you would need to phone in and upgrade but am surprised that when the op phoned to book the service call a upgrade wasn't offered.