Options

Christmas Numbe One.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
Forum Member
Am I right in thinking that since the success of Rage Against The Machine a few years ago in getting to Christmas No.1 in the UK that we shouldn't just 'expect' X Factor to be top of the charts?

The question is, how 'far from the mainstream' can we go?

This guy has been played on the radio in the UK a fair amount. Years ago, I would have neglected him, but since Rage and Bird is the word getting close, there is a part of me that thinks....

GO ON LAD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=985tgLykZrs

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I hate it when X factor winners get Xmas number one, but I also hate it when people try and get a song number one just to beat X factor, when the song is shit. Like that rage against the machine one, its a very bad song, but it got number one. How about we just get a song that deserves to be number one in?
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Ac/dc campaign on facebook is over 138k likes so far
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope it doesn't go to X Factor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not this s**t again :rolleyes:

Are people really that bothered what song happens to be #1 at christmas? The whole idea that getting a protest track to #1 is proving some sort of point is ridiculous, how sad that people would purchase a track they don't even want. Utterly laughable. The X Factor single will still sell tons of copies and still make Syco a fortune. Get over it.
  • Options
    BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim_A wrote: »
    Not this s**t again :rolleyes:

Are people really that bothered what song happens to be #1 at christmas? The whole idea that getting a protest track to #1 is proving some sort of point is ridiculous, how sad that people would purchase a track they don't even want. Utterly laughable. The X Factor single will still sell tons of copies and still make Syco a fortune. Get over it.

Don't think people care if that happens, just as long as it stops it from getting to number one at Christmas.
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about an actual good song for a change? lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Benllech wrote: »
    Don't think people care if that happens, just as long as it stops it from getting to number one at Christmas.

But why? :confused:
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We should try to get Dustin the turkey to Christmas number 1 :p
  • Options
    Charlie_TrenchCharlie_Trench Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All these campaigns to "get songs to Christmas number one to beat X Factor" is now equally as annoying as TXF single always being xmas #1.

If the TXF winners single was released a week or two before, then there would be no issue and it could be like the good days when there used to be a big momentum for WHO was going to get it.

Not because an X Factor winner was guaranteed it and ESPECIALLY not 'cause of stupid protest and campaigns for other songs to get it.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim_A wrote: »
    But why? :confused:

Because people dislike Cowell "owning" the Christmas No1. Esp as its inevitably some slushy, forgettable mush. Simon Cowell does not have a right to the Xmas No1 slot.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't know why anyone cares what spot a song gets to in the charts these days unless you work in the industry. listen to the songs you want and ignore the ones you don't. getting bothered about one thing or another at number 1 is pointless. it's better to spend the time and energy on something useful. give your money to charity instead of buying a song you don't like or already have or don't want
  • Options
    Mickwall68Mickwall68 Posts: 78
    Forum Member
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, I'm so sick of hearing about this every year that I hope whoever wins X Factor does get the Christmas #1 just to spite everyone complaining about it every single year.

I was happy when the Rage Against The Machine campaign succeeded because it showed that the public had full control over the charts and not Simon Cowell. However, in the first place it doesn't actually matter: with all the problems in the world is the chart really that important? But even more than that, I thought after that campaign that people would stop whining about it every single year but no, it seems they still feel the need to go on about it. It doesn't matter! Give the X Factor their #1. That show won't be around forever, it has to end sometimes. In the meantime just enjoy whatever music you happen to prefer to the winner's single!

Plus, with regards to Simon Cowell not having the right to the Xmas #1 every year: you are correct, but no one else has the right to the Xmas #1 either. It is entirely dependent on what people are willing to spend their money on, and the X Factor single (whatever your feelings on them, personally I think they tend to be poo) has as much right to the #1 as any other artist if people are willing to spend money on it.

Apologies for maybe coming across as harsh. Really when I refer to "whining" it isn't aimed at anyone on here, just people generally. It is frustrating when it's all over my Facebook newsfeed every single year. :P Also I am certainly not an X Factor fan so please do not think my feelings on the subject are in any way influenced by being a fan of it...Anyway, sorry, rant over. :P
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you are not bothered what gets to nu1, why comment? Pointless.
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickwall68 wrote: »
    If you are not bothered what gets to nu1, why comment? Pointless.

I don't know about anyone else but I wanted to share my opinion. It is a discussion forum, so I don't see how it's pointless!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its pointless because you don't care about the subject. It is a thread about what gets to nu1 at Christmas. You start off by saying that you are sick of hearing about it...stay away from it then.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I don't like the X Factor Winners single getting to Christmas #1, these endless campaigns do my head in as well.

What I'd prefer is for someone to just release a decent Christmas tune, and hopefully it'll be good enough to do the job. Hopefully someone like Kelly Clarkson can do that this year.
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the rage against the machine one was funny, esp when cowell said it was childish, but it has been done now
  • Options
    Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    What about a song for the recent Philippine typhoon

Or if Maggie Thtacher died today, Would they have left Ding DIng the Witch is dead till Christmas
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I think The X Factor will do it this year tbh
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    As much as I don't like the X Factor Winners single getting to Christmas #1, these endless campaigns do my head in as well.

What I'd prefer is for someone to just release a decent Christmas tune, and hopefully it'll be good enough to do the job. Hopefully someone like Kelly Clarkson can do that this year.

I'd love Kelly to do it, very unlikely though :(

I want Snooker Loopy for number one :p
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't X Factor will get it this year, Sam or Nicolas will win and they won't appeal much to the chart buying audience IMO
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    I don't X Factor will get it this year, Sam or Nicolas will win and they won't appeal much to the chart buying audience IMO

"the chart buying audience"

what even?

So people who vote someone to win, wont buy their single released immediately? Nonsense. Maybe by the time their album is out, but that's rubbish.
  • Options
    LED93LED93 Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    "the chart buying audience"

what even?

So people who vote someone to win, wont buy their single released immediately? Nonsense. Maybe by the time their album is out, but that's rubbish.

It's a somewhat fair point though. I wouldn't be surprised if this years winners single becomes one of the lowest selling, even though money is going towards charity. People may vote for a specific person due to a bet perhaps, I'm sure they would happily spend a few pence if they have placed a wager on the outcome to ensure they won their bet.
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LED93 wrote: »
    It's a somewhat fair point though. I wouldn't be surprised if this years winners single becomes one of the lowest selling, even though money is going towards charity. People may vote for a specific person due to a bet perhaps, I'm sure they would happily spend a few pence if they have placed a wager on the outcome to ensure they won their bet.

Not at all.

The "chart buying audience" aren't a completely different type of person. I mean, it takes about 100 000 singles sold to get to number 1. If Sam B or Nicholas were to get 4 000 000 million votes and win, i'm pretty sure at least 100 000 of them would buy the single.