Options

The Amazing Spider-man 2

Comments

• Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't enjoyed any of the Spider-Man movies. I liked the comics as a kid, and even enjoyed the Saturday morning 90s cartoon, but for me the it just doesn't translate well to the big screen. Just my opinion though.
  • Options
    Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can they bring back Tobey and Kirsten already?
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    Awesome film. As good as The Winter Soldier. :)

Better. I loved it. :)
  • Options
    Xadlei XemnasXadlei Xemnas Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    A little bit overloaded and setting up for sequels but still enjoyable.

The scene where gwen died actually hit me emotionally. It was probably worse because i just knew it was gonna happen. They were toying with her fate in the entire clocktower event and i just wanted her to survive so bad lol

Also does anyone else think Aunt May knows about peters secret identity?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I am a huge Spider-Man fan and me and my fiance often debate about Maguire's Spider-Man and Garfield's one. I really do prefer Garfield as PP/Spider-Man and prefer the look and feel of the first movie. I was so excited for this movie.

What a huge let down. From a two and a half hour film there is in total about 15-20 minutes of action. The rest of it is soap opera drama of Gwen and Peter being on and off again, then back on again, amongst other stuff. It is just a filler movie, really. The trailers and posters all glorify the action but there is very little to be seen. It's hugely disappointing and I wouldn't bother wasting your money going to see it.

My fiance compares it to Twilight and funnily enough one of my friends who loves Twilight loved this Spider-Man movie. Go figure. It's basically a bit of a rehashed Romeo and Juliet. Captain America 2 is far, far superior. ^_^
  • Options
    Xadlei XemnasXadlei Xemnas Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    I am a huge Spider-Man fan and me and my fiance often debate about Maguire's Spider-Man and Garfield's one. I really do prefer Garfield as PP/Spider-Man and prefer the look and feel of the first movie. I was so excited for this movie.

What a huge let down. From a two and a half hour film there is in total about 15-20 minutes of action. The rest of it is soap opera drama of Gwen and Peter being on and off again, then back on again, amongst other stuff. It is just a filler movie, really. The trailers and posters all glorify the action but there is very little to be seen. It's hugely disappointing and I wouldn't bother wasting your money going to see it.

My fiance compares it to Twilight and funnily enough one of my friends who loves Twilight loved this Spider-Man movie. Go figure. It's basically a bit of a rehashed Romeo and Juliet. Captain America 2 is far, far superior. ^_^

I agree with you. It doesnt feel very whole does it? But i understand why they focused on the love story and tbh it paid off. To compare it to twilights love story is a bit unfair though. I feel Peter and Gwen is the most genuine and believable couple ive seen in a comic book movie.

I never really liked the peter and mary jane relationship drama in the original trilogy.

I usually hate love in films. its often forced in and irritating. But the amazing spiderman 1 and 2 nailed it for me.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The original Spidey comics featuring Pete and Gwen's love story were filled with lots of tales of teen romance, so the film is just being true to it's source material. :)
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well I thought Amazing Spiderman 2 was the same as the first film which was very average.Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were great as usual but it's a pity that they were let down by a mess of a plot.Jamie Foxx was terrible as Electra and reminded me constantly of Arnie in Batman And Robin!

The action scenes were decent but they had been spoilt by being shown in all the trailers.There wasn't enough of Harry Osborne but Dane DeHann was good in his role!

It's just a pity as it could have been a lot better

3/5
  • Options
    Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm SO annoyed. I've had the ending spoiled on Youtube.

One of my favourite songs called Gone Gone Gone was apparently used in the film, I was watching the music vid by chance and all the comments involve the sad ending.

What's more annoying is that all the bandwagoners are going to go on about that song when I've loved it for ages. :/
  • Options
    SnowyfaceSnowyface Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this in IMAX, incredible. I enjoyed it far more than the first one, and I loved the humour in it as well :D I loved Electro, coolest villain like ever. And Dane DeHaan was fantastic! I loved the Electro/Harry scenes. Especially the one in the mental institute! 'You...you need me?'

Only negative was the amount of times Peter and Gwen are on and then off and then on and then off...ugh :confused:
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3/5 (or 6/10) - a very flawed film that deserves its mixed reviews, but one that's enjoyable enough. I was expecting so much better though to be honest; Electro in particular was one of the worst comic book movie villains I've seen in a long time. Dane Dehaan on the other hand was very good, although his transformation happened far too quickly in my opinion. He should have either been introduced in the first film, or turned into the Goblin during the third. Even...
    ...Gwen's death lacked any emotional impact for me, and again came I feel a movie too soon.
  • Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A totally average movie, and as the second in the new trilogy, is not a patch on Raimi's Spider-Man 2.

This really is Spider-Man for the Twilight crowd and whilst enjoyable in parts, will leave hardcore Spider-Man and action fans, wanting. Just too much lovey-dovey, faux teen angst panting by leads far too older than the characters they're portraying. Electro was horribly clichéd and on equal footing with the disappointing Sandman from Spider-Man 3. Just a lot of FX, with no genuine motivation for his actions.
    Rhino (thankfully) gets short shrift, and could have been dispensed with entirely. Only there for future film set-ups.

The film only springs to life in the last half hour or so when, attention rightly turns to the creepy turn by Dean Dehane as Harry Osborn. I just wished they'd focussed the entire movie on him, rather than the weaker Electro. The music score was horrible - Zimmer's worst ever. A nasty electronic cacophony, with an infuriating chant / motif that accompanies Electro.

Large portions of the movie really is just saccharine mumbling and belong in another movie. Garfield & Stone are affable and decent in their roles and yes, genuine chemistry exists. But I'd love for Spider-Man to truly go back to Marvel and be allowed to interact with the rest of the Marvel universe (Avengers etc). These films are just too reminiscent of the original trilogy, for their own good.

Could go on, but I won't. 2/5.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    The music score was horrible - Zimmer's worst ever. A nasty electronic cacophony, with an infuriating chant / motif that accompanies Electro.

Could go on, but I won't. 2/5.

Oh my god, so true! What was that about?! All that chanting took me out of the movie. I was wondering if there's something wrong with the speakers in the cinema when i kept hearing it and then i realised it was coming from the film! It was awful and so unnecessary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    You guys are so wrong about the score, it's the best thing about the whole film if you ask me and the most original music to accompany a Hollywood blockbuster since Tron legacy. Like Tron legacy I'm sure it's themes will be used for adverts and other movies trailers for years to come. It combines classic hero motifs from Hans Zimmer with smart electronic contemporary themes provided by The Magnificent Six for the villains. The Electro Suite on the soundtrack is phenomenal, it's just you've never heard anything like it in a movie before , doesn't mean it's not amazing and breaking new ground. Take it from me, you will be hearing this score in everything from Car adverts to Sci fi movie trailers for years to come.
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like the first one - average.

I wish Sony would just hand completely back to Marvel as they clearly aren't doing anything special with the character.

Electro was naff. Almost as bad as The Lizard. His transformation into supervillain because somebody didn't remember his name was hysterical and baffling.

Goblin was rather good, but he was rushed.
    Saw the ending coming a mile off and felt absolutely nothing. Not even remotely sad.

2.5 / 5 and that is just for Goblin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen it this afternoon. Had high expectations as I loved The Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2 lived up to all of my expectations. Loved it.
    Gwen's death was heartbreaking. :( I shed a tear tbh. :( That means there will be no Emma Stone is The Amazing Spiderman 3, she was brilliant in this role like she is in everything, looking forward to seeing her new projects.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny c wrote: »
    You guys are so wrong about the score, it's the best thing about the whole film if you ask me and the most original music to accompany a Hollywood blockbuster since Tron legacy. Like Tron legacy I'm sure it's themes will be used for adverts and other movies trailers for years to come. It combines classic hero motifs from Hans Zimmer with smart electronic contemporary themes provided by The Magnificent Six for the villains. The Electro Suite on the soundtrack is phenomenal, it's just you've never heard anything like it in a movie before , doesn't mean it's not amazing and breaking new ground. Take it from me, you will be hearing this score in everything from Car adverts to Sci fi movie trailers for years to come.

Highly doubt that. I normally purchase movie scores (have most of Zimmers stuff), but this was atrocious. In keeping with its target of Tizard and the like, they've shoe-horned the likes of Pharrell, Jamie Foxx, Alicia Keys and other bands to sell the album and hit whatever demographic they can. But hearing that stuff, just took me out of the movie (Peters bedroom picture mosaic and the accompanying track..). It's a mess. The Dark Knight score by Zimmer is used often (even heard it before the cinema ads for my Spider-Man showing), but this one will be forgotten. My opinion, of course...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electro was naff. Almost as bad as The Lizard. His transformation into supervillain because somebody didn't remember his name was hysterical and baffling.

Yep. Was like the classic Simpsons episode, Who Shot Mr Burns, when Homer lost the plot over Mr Burns continual failure to recall Homer's name. Rubbish motivation for Electro (with his goofy appearance) , and that horrible externalisation of his descent into madness.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    I just saw the film today and thought I'd share some of my opinions on it:
    I thought the Electro plot and the plot with Peter's parents were both very good and worked well. I Harry/Green Goblin thread was quite good but it felt really rushed, however I can't think of another way for it to work really so I'm going to overlook it.

My main problems came from the ending. Not Gwen's death, I understand that had to happen as it was part of the comics, and I found it very well done. My problem came from where it ended. I hate that they skipped 5 months to when Peter came back as Spider-Man, and I thought it would've worked better if they finished after the funeral (maybe with a bit more hope) and the beginning of the next film could've focused on his recovering and coming back, as it felt like five months passed in 45 seconds and we were meant to just accept it. I think it would've added more impact if they waited until the next film as that last sequence really didn't add anything and it seems to me they just put it in so they could say the Rhino was in the film.

Also, me and my mates thought it would be good if there was a cameo appearance from Mary Jane at the end (I know her scenes were cut). Perhaps if after the final battle her friends call her and she turns around to face the camera, just to tease what's going to happen in future films.

Overall though I thought it was a fairly good film and would give it a 3.7 out of 5. It's probably the best superhero film since The Dark Knight Rises but that's not really saying much, and I am biased to Spider-Man anyway :p
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well the rumours are that Mary Jane may not even appear in Amazing Spiderman 3 now especially as they have already introduced Felicia Hardy who every comic book fans know is the Black Cat.So they maybe looking at the Black Cat instead of Mary Jane as the love interest for the third film as it would be different to anything in a Spiderman film before!
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it last night.

I enjoyed it, although I think the best Spidey film is Raimi's second one.

A question, for those who have seen it:
    So, now that Oscorp has destroyed all of the spiders, where will Peter get the stuff for his webshooters from? No more spiders, no more Oscorp BioCable...
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Oh my god, so true! What was that about?! All that chanting took me out of the movie. I was wondering if there's something wrong with the speakers in the cinema when i kept hearing it and then i realised it was coming from the film! It was awful and so unnecessary.

I know what you mean, it sounded so disjointed, I kept looking round for someone messing on their phone or something.

The film was another disappointment, too much like the first, too much lovely dovey and teen angst, and too much on off relationship. I really do not like this franchise. I also agree with the poster who likened Foxx to Arnie from Batman.

All in all a bit of a mess for me

2/5
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I liked it although the whole on/off relationship made me guess they were going to end it in that particular way. I did like the guy who played Harry I thought he was good and, I wish they'd focused more on him than Electro, I know they want diversity from the other trilogy but even electro could have been better if they'd focused more on developing a better motive. Meh, I just feel like if they'd have cut half of the romance they'd have had more time to develop their villains and use them more.

I also liked the scene with Peter and his Aunt May, it had me welling up :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JackMShep wrote: »
    I just saw the film today and thought I'd share some of my opinions on it:
    I thought the Electro plot and the plot with Peter's parents were both very good and worked well. I Harry/Green Goblin thread was quite good but it felt really rushed, however I can't think of another way for it to work really so I'm going to overlook it.

My main problems came from the ending. Not Gwen's death, I understand that had to happen as it was part of the comics, and I found it very well done. My problem came from where it ended. I hate that they skipped 5 months to when Peter came back as Spider-Man, and I thought it would've worked better if they finished after the funeral (maybe with a bit more hope) and the beginning of the next film could've focused on his recovering and coming back, as it felt like five months passed in 45 seconds and we were meant to just accept it. I think it would've added more impact if they waited until the next film as that last sequence really didn't add anything and it seems to me they just put it in so they could say the Rhino was in the film.

Also, me and my mates thought it would be good if there was a cameo appearance from Mary Jane at the end (I know her scenes were cut). Perhaps if after the final battle her friends call her and she turns around to face the camera, just to tease what's going to happen in future films.

Overall though I thought it was a fairly good film and would give it a 3.7 out of 5. It's probably the best superhero film since The Dark Knight Rises but that's not really saying much, and I am biased to Spider-Man anyway :p

You need to really see Captain America 2!
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I'll catch this eventually when it comes to Sky Movies, as I'm really weary of all the CGI-heavy Marvel characters on screen. It's the same stuff, no matter which ones they run with.