Knots Landing

Comments

• Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the end of the series pending, and events about to unfold, I must say Knots Landing seems a pretty cursed place to live. I might be wrong but it doesn't seem like the other soaps had such a high mortality rate! Off the top of my head, these are the main characters (main being either in the title or 'also starring' credits) that have snuffed it during the show's run:

Sid Fairgate (Season 3)
    Ciji Dunne (S4)
    Chip Roberts (S5)
    Paul Galveston (S6)
    Joshua Rush (S7)
    Phil Harbert (S8)
    Sylvia Lean (S8)
    Peter Hollister (S8)
    Laura Avery-Sumner (S9)
    Jill Bennett (S10)
    Mary-Frances Sumner (S11) (no main credit in S11 but did have when in S5)

11 character deaths in as many seasons - and even amongst the current cast we're far from done yet! I'm sure I must have missed one or two as well. Things seemed to get pretty terminal from Season 3 onwards, hitting quite a grim peak in Season 8 in particular. And if you were to factor in the likes of your Mark St Clares, Manny Vasquezes, Dr Ackermans and so on, the roll call of doom grows that much larger. The place should come with a health warning! :D
  • CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the end of the series pending, and events about to unfold, I must say Knots Landing seems a pretty cursed place to live. I might be wrong but it doesn't seem like the other soaps had such a high mortality rate! Off the top of my head, these are the main characters (main being either in the title or 'also starring' credits) that have snuffed it during the show's run:

Sid Fairgate (Season 3)
    Ciji Dunne (S4)
    Chip Roberts (S5)
    Paul Galveston (S6)
    Joshua Rush (S7)
    Phil Harbert (S8)
    Sylvia Lean (S8)
    Peter Hollister (S8)
    Laura Avery-Sumner (S9)
    Jill Bennett (S10)
    Mary-Frances Sumner (S11) (no main credit in S11 but did have when in S5)

11 character deaths in as many seasons - and even amongst the current cast we're far from done yet! I'm sure I must have missed one or two as well. Things seemed to get pretty terminal from Season 3 onwards, hitting quite a grim peak in Season 8 in particular. And if you were to factor in the likes of your Mark St Clares, Manny Vasquezes, Dr Ackermans and so on, the roll call of doom grows that much larger. The place should come with a health warning! :D

The body count on Falcon Crest was quite high too. I think it was quite brave of Knots and FC to kill off main characters as the series progressed. Despite multiple fires, car crashes & shootings, Dallas & Dynasty rarely killed off any if it's main cast. And even when they did the character would usually turn up alive a year later in the shower or with a new face.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Julie has really come into her own these past few episodes. Quite a capable little performer. They underused her far too much up until now.

I am not really warming to Anne at all. I still can't work out how she stuck a photo of herself on Paige's driving licence and managed to open an account in Paige's name. Surely sticking a photo over another is not enough to fool the bank ... well, I hope not anyway. :o

The picture quality is not the beast again. :( Strange how The Streets of San Francisco (a far older programme) on CBS Action is far superior in terms of picture quality. It's like watching a DVD compared to the wishy-washy picture of Knots Landing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the Streets of SF has been digitally remastered to HD, also due to that process the PQ is much better on the SD Version.

KL has never been done anything to, CBS Drama broadcasts some old masters from the 80s. The PQ is not good, and due to the fact that CBS Drama broadcasts in a much lower picture format and with a small data rate, it gets artifacts aplenty.

i remember the PQ of the German showing on Sat.1 to be not good also, especially the actual season never looked good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am also rather enjoying Julie's transition from laconic Spelling Bee Princess into recalcitrant rifle-toting Avenger :eek: :D

Re the PQ, I have to agree on both counts that CBS have to 'make do' with whatever source they can find, and also - this does count at least part of the way - how it was filmed at the time makes a difference. I've been re-watching Season 6 (post-Wolfbridge/Val's babies) recently, and while the source material diminishes the immediate quality, the actual photography and lighting a lot of the time is quite, I dunno, 'painterly' might seem an appropriate word. It's obvious they're not spending money in that regard by this point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wolfbridge wrote: »
    the Streets of SF has been digitally remastered to HD, also due to that process the PQ is much better on the SD Version.

KL has never been done anything to, CBS Drama broadcasts some old masters from the 80s. The PQ is not good, and due to the fact that CBS Drama broadcasts in a much lower picture format and with a small data rate, it gets artifacts aplenty.

i remember the PQ of the German showing on Sat.1 to be not good also, especially the actual season never looked good.

I never knew that about Streets of SF. The quality is very evident (now I know why):cool:
    I am also rather enjoying Julie's transition from laconic Spelling Bee Princess into recalcitrant rifle-toting Avenger :eek: :D

Re the PQ, I have to agree on both counts that CBS have to 'make do' with whatever source they can find, and also - this does count at least part of the way - how it was filmed at the time makes a difference. I've been re-watching Season 6 (post-Wolfbridge/Val's babies) recently, and while the source material diminishes the immediate quality, the actual photography and lighting a lot of the time is quite, I dunno, 'painterly' might seem an appropriate word. It's obvious they're not spending money in that regard by this point.

I wish we had seen this Julie before. A little like Jill. From boring old Jill to villainess extraordinaire!! :)
  • meelymunchmeelymunch Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Do Gary and Val get married at Paige's abandoned wedding venue then ? Surely she's not divorced from Danny yet ?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was Julie hugging in the hospital room it certainly wasn't her mother?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Val is gonna get married again her 2nd previous husband is still missing, her current one is in jail and now she is marrying her first husband again. :confused:
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    So Val is gonna get married again her 2nd previous husband is still missing, her current one is in jail and now she is marrying her first husband again. :confused:

She has certainly lived an interesting life has our Val, i'm surprised she remembers which Husband she is married to :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    She has certainly lived an interesting life has our Val, i'm surprised she remembers which Husband she is married to :D

And as for Jeff they dressed him in oversized glasses in a tank top, the same gear every male murderer in pre 1988 episodes of Murder, She Wrote wore so it was obvious all along.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So just to officially update the roll-call of main-character death, that's now:

Sid Fairgate (Season 3)
    Ciji Dunne (S4)
    Chip Roberts (S5)
    Paul Galveston (S6)
    Joshua Rush (S7)
    Phil Harbert (S8)
    Sylvia Lean (S8)
    Peter Hollister (S8)
    Laura Avery-Sumner (S9)
    Jill Bennett (S10)
    Mary-Frances Sumner (S11)
    Patricia Williams (S11)

And as far as I'm aware, there's still a couple of current main cast who have yet to fear the reaper :eek:

A lovely pop-song montage last again, kick-started by Pat's departure scene :(, showing everyone's reactions to something even where in some cases, they didn't necessarily understand quite what it was. OH quipped that it was like a 'Ciji moment without Ciji', whereas I was quick to re-designate it as a reprise of 'the Ginger moment without Ciji' :D:)
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the season 11 finale. I do think the season improved as it went along, after an extremely slow beginning. As soon as Amanda packed her bags and the tedious evil corporation storyline was wrapped up, things got a bit more interesting. The highlight (if you can call it that...) of the season was Pat getting mowed down to the sounds of You Are So Beautiful. An odd combination but very effective.

Karen must be one of the unluckiest people going. She's been stalked, kidnapped, shot, almost paralysed, addicted to painkillers, her 1st husband and best friend both died tragically, her daughter almost died and then ran off with a lunatic and Mack seriously considers cheating on her every other season. :p

And Olivia was seriously neglected in that season. She popped up for one scene per episode (if that!) to have the same old argument with Harold about money, then they reunited and she just vanished? Total waste of the actress.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonya - well she even got on the opening titles after 10 years, and just to be not used and written off mid-season. she has alot of talent
  • Valene1Valene1 Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was Ben's official death ever mentioned because somehow Valene managed to marry Danny. He's out now so maybe he'll stand in the way of Val and Gary getting together again - for a while anyway. 3 good looking men for Val too, no Mr Ordinary for her..

Sid Fairgate (Season 3)
    Ciji Dunne (S4)
    Chip Roberts (S5)
    Paul Galveston (S6)
    Joshua Rush (S7)
    Phil Harbert (S8)
    Sylvia Lean (S8)
    Peter Hollister (S8)
    Laura Avery-Sumner (S9)
    Jill Bennett (S10)
    Patricia Williams (S11)

:D:)

I think your list will be added to in this season or in all the remaining seasons until the end. A death or two a season is a good recipe for Knots.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was Ben's official death ever mentioned because somehow Valene managed to marry Danny. He's out now so maybe he'll stand in the way of Val and Gary getting together again - for a while anyway. 3 good looking men for Val too, no Mr Ordinary for her..

Sid Fairgate (Season 3)
    Ciji Dunne (S4)
    Chip Roberts (S5)
    Paul Galveston (S6)
    Joshua Rush (S7)
    Phil Harbert (S8)
    Sylvia Lean (S8)
    Peter Hollister (S8)
    Laura Avery-Sumner (S9)
    Jill Bennett (S10)
    Patricia Williams (S11)

:D:)

I think your list may be added to in this season or in the remaining seasons. A death or two a season seems to be a good recipe for Knots.
  • sarah_2277sarah_2277 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re: Karen's stalker, don't look if you haven't watched today's' ep.
    What was with all the Jeff stuff, that came to an abrupt end. I'm guessing the actor went on to something else or KL decided they started a story they couldn't finish. All a bit strange.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sarah_2277 wrote: »
    Re: Karen's stalker, don't look if you haven't watched today's' ep.
    What was with all the Jeff stuff, that came to an abrupt end. I'm guessing the actor went on to something else or KL decided they started a story they couldn't finish. All a bit strange.
    Jeff is listed in a couple of upcoming episodes, so don't think we have seen the end of him yet - (unless they're flashbacks) Karen did say the body they recovered was suspected to be Jeff. Anything is possible in KL:o
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member
    Jeff is listed in a couple of upcoming episodes, so don't think we have seen the end of him yet - (unless they're flashbacks) Karen did say the body they recovered was suspected to be Jeff. Anything is possible in KL:o
    It isn't the end of Jeff, he tries to kill Karen in a few episodes time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought the had just realised that they had Karen kidnapped a few seasons before and forgot, when someone said "Haven't we been here before" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Thanks. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the first death of the season came sooner than I expected. Goodbye Danny. That estate agent looked like Amanda. I could be wrong as I thought Sally's friend was Jill but she wasn't.

Another Ciji lookalike story with Greg's niece played by the same actress who played his daughter Mary-Francis. Claudia, Greg's sister is a prize bitch but every good soap needs a character like her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valene1 wrote: »
    So the first death of the season came sooner than I expected. Goodbye Danny. That estate agent looked like Amanda. I could be wrong as I thought Sally's friend was Jill but she wasn't.

In a way, it came even sooner that the one you're referring to - Claudia mentioned in her first or second episode about 'mother being gone', so that's bye-bye to Ruth Galveston also - who did technically have a stint as a main star, back in Season 6. Probably inevitable since Ava Gardener either had or was on the verge of RIP in real life, and I doubt they would have considered a re-cast for a role that had once been such an iconic performer's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valene1 wrote: »

Another Ciji lookalike story with Greg's niece played by the same actress who played his daughter Mary-Francis. Claudia, Greg's sister is a prize bitch but every good soap needs a character like her.

How did Sam Behrens lay under the water with his mouth open for so long?

Does alcohol stop your arm hurting when it's broken?

Why didn't Karen use the backdoor of the studio?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Talking about Ava Gardner. Whilst on my travels for all things Knots Landing (;-)) I noticed that Jeff (Chris Lemmon) --- (nut-case who tried to kill Karen) was the real life son of the Hollywood actor Jack Lemmon.