Options

Computer addiction/overuse

HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do any of you feel like you are addicted to the computer, or use it way way too much?

I can find myself on it for a good 9 hours a day, at least (unless I'm doing something else pre-scheduled, or with a friend all day) :o

Couldn't sleep this morning (went to bed about 4:30am).

By 6am I had gotten up because I couldn't sleep. Came on DS and Facebook - just looked at the time and it's quarter to 9 :eek:

I don't even know where the time has gone?! I've just been posting a bit, re-reading the same rubbish on Facebook and reading about a few things elsewhere!

:(

Comments

• Options
    _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm addicted too and I've been up all night. Opps!
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm addicted too and I've been up all night. Opps!

snap :eek::eek:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another addict here!!

If don't have to go out, the computer's on pretty much all day. I tend to 'channel hop' between the same websites in an almost OCD fashion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Do any of you feel like you are addicted to the computer, or use it way way too much?

I can find myself on it for a good 9 hours a day, at least (unless I'm doing something else pre-scheduled, or with a friend all day) :o

By 6am I had gotten up because I couldn't sleep. Came on DS and Facebook - just looked at the time and it's quarter to 9 :eek:

I don't even know where the time has gone?! I've just been posting a bit, re-reading the same rubbish on Facebook and reading about a few things elsewhere!

it must be great being able to stay up whenever you like because you have no work to go to ever
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it must be great being able to stay up whenever you like because you have no work to go to ever

Oh grow up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh grow up

I did, I grew up, left school, got a job
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh grow up

Can you not see how you've left yourself a teensie bit open to this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not really!

Why does everything have to come down to my health!?

PS. It's a Sunday anyway!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're spending too much time on your computer, use it as a reward.

Go out and do stuff in the day, do something in your house, read a book.

Then "treat" yourself to an hour on the computer.

It does actually work, you feel like you've achieved a lot more by doing new stuff or things you wouldn't usually do, and in turn you enjoy the shorter amount of time you spend in front of the screen more than you do when just mindlessly staring at it for hours and hours on end.
  • Options
    GrizzyDeeGrizzyDee Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get why people these days are so obsessed with counting internet time. Before the internet, you'd probably have sat in front of the TV or listening to music for those 9 hours and not thought about it, just because it's something to do while you're not doing anything else. But because it's the internet, people are embarrassed or afraid that they spend so much time online. Embrace the net, maaan..!

[But Hypno, really, it wasn't very clever to start this thread if you're trying to get the bigots from elsewhere to understand your condition and believe you're justified in not having a job :p If you're fighting the good fight, at least make it consistent!]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you could turn your computer addiction in to a career

if you can spend 9 hours a day at a computer messing about could you not spend those 9 hours doing something productive?

I spend 9 hours a day (probably more) at a computer for my job.

Surely if you are addicted you must be picking up some skills
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    I'm on it all day when i'm at home, i can't bear to have it switched off wondering if i have any notifications on facebook :o
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I tend to agree with other posters, although maybe not so nastily. If you've nothing else to do, why worry about being on the computer? It's only if it interferes with other more important things in your life that it matters.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we are not allowed to use the web at work for anything other than work related stuff - they monitor what we do online as well.

hence, I tend use it a lot at home, sort of making up for lost time. What I have been doing for some time now, is have a radio web site streaming in the background at the same time (or play my music via iTunes).

I think the way things are going, especially with the younger generation is that the PC will be switched on all the time. Doesnt mean its always in use, but it will be always on, so you can just go over to it whenever you want. And yes I know that doesnt do anything to help the elecltricity bill, let alone the CO2 issue, but I think there will be 2 groups of people in the future - those that just leave everything on all the time, while the others will be ultra-greens, and go over the top to save power.

My mate has an XBox addiction, even more so now he has XBoxLive. He will even go on XBoxLive early in the morning, before going to work, and switch it back on as soon as he gets home.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to be addicted and found I could not unwind and became a insomniac
    I now log off around half eight/nine pm, read a book or watch a bit of TV and now my sleeping is normal. Took a week or so before my sleep pattern came back but now its bliss.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    Now & again (not often) my internet connection goes down & I go ballistic! It ruins my day!

It's ridiculous, I'm not a kid & there's plenty of other things I can do, but I feel like someone has taken "candy from a baby" off me!

Once I'm back on the web I'm fine, but feel really foolish at getting so worked up about it.

Am I addicted? - you tell me.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really!

Why does everything have to come down to my health!?

PS. It's a Sunday anyway!!
    When you tell DS, you tell the world until the thread gets removed. No wonder so many people don't put much of their personal business on here. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mozzie77 wrote: »
    Now & again (not often) my internet connection goes down & I go ballistic! It ruins my day!

It's ridiculous, I'm not a kid & there's plenty of other things I can do, but I feel like someone has taken "candy from a baby" off me!

Once I'm back on the web I'm fine, but feel really foolish at getting so worked up about it.

Am I addicted? - you tell me.....

Would you feel the same way if your phone/TV/XBox/whatever was out of action for a day?
  • Options
    SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to spend too much time online but I started to think I was wasting my life on it. It's alright to mess around on like posting nonsense on here ;) but setting aside whole days is pretty worrying if you ask me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    GrizzyDee wrote: »
    Would you feel the same way if your phone/TV/XBox/whatever was out of action for a day?

Phone yes - need it to connect to the web!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mozzie77 wrote: »
    Phone yes - need it to connect to the web!
    LMAO! I think we have an answer to the "am I addicted" question!
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that I am addicted to the computer. Yesterday I must have spent 12 hours on the computer. It wasn't until 8.30pm that I finally switched off the computer as I wanted to watch the interview with Bruce Forsyth and a few other TV programmes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that I am addicted to the computer. Yesterday I must have spent 12 hours on the computer. It wasn't until 8.30pm that I finally switched off the computer as I wanted to watch the interview with Bruce Forsyth and a few other TV programmes.

So surely you're addicted to TV, as you turned off the computer to watch it? :D
  • Options
    minty82minty82 Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am well and truly addicted.