Options

FAO Geeks: Home media server NOT NAS

Hi all,

I would like to set up a media server which can feed all of my PC's on the home network (about 8 in total) plus an Xbox 360 with music and photos.

I do have a NAS drive but for some reason, whatever I try, it is impossible to directly transfer massive amounts of data via USB. In the middle of a network transfer it just cuts out, and then my time is wasted. I tried this with my LaCie too big 2TB drive 10 times and it won't work.

I also have no free cash to blow on another one that might not work.

Thus, I should soon be getting an old tower PC from where I work (in an IT dept). I am wondering if anyone knows what the best way would be to go about setting this up; what OS to use and so on, for a small/no fee.

I've considered the Ubuntu server, but does this not have a GUI? And how compatible would it be with my Xbox? The reason I want to do this is because I'm fed up of having to turn on my iMac just to be able to access music. I can't use this as the server as it just wouldn't be practical.

Sorry to go on and on but I have very specific needs! Hope someone can help me out on this one… cheers

Comments

• Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check out Windows Home Server and FreeNAS
  • Options
    mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joe-media wrote: »
    Hi all,

I would like to set up a media server which can feed all of my PC's on the home network (about 8 in total) plus an Xbox 360 with music and photos.

I do have a NAS drive but for some reason, whatever I try, it is impossible to directly transfer massive amounts of data via USB. In the middle of a network transfer it just cuts out, and then my time is wasted. I tried this with my LaCie too big 2TB drive 10 times and it won't work.

I also have no free cash to blow on another one that might not work.

Thus, I should soon be getting an old tower PC from where I work (in an IT dept). I am wondering if anyone knows what the best way would be to go about setting this up; what OS to use and so on, for a small/no fee.

I've considered the Ubuntu server, but does this not have a GUI? And how compatible would it be with my Xbox? The reason I want to do this is because I'm fed up of having to turn on my iMac just to be able to access music. I can't use this as the server as it just wouldn't be practical.

Sorry to go on and on but I have very specific needs! Hope someone can help me out on this one… cheers

I run Ubuntu server on my HP Microserver.

I currently use it to stream DVB (SAT, Freeview) and it works a treat, Transfered over 500GB with no issues, I use telnet or webmin to administer it.

I have no issues streaming stuff to my Android Tablet via Samba either, so I'm guessing your Xbox should handle it too.
  • Options
    joe-mediajoe-media Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    mpmc17 wrote: »
    I run Ubuntu server on my HP Microserver.

I currently use it to stream DVB (SAT, Freeview) and it works a treat, Transfered over 500GB with no issues either, I use telnet or webmin to administer it.

I have no issues streaming stuff to my Android Tablet via Samba either, so I'm guessing your Xbox should handle it too.

Is it purely command-line based?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it purely command-line based?

Mostly yes, but you can do everything via webmin if you prefer.
  • Options
    joe-mediajoe-media Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    mpmc17 wrote: »
    Mostly yes, but you can do everything via webmin if you prefer.

Good to know thanks - command line is okay but I prefer the aid of a GUI. :o

How easy is webmin to set up?

Sorry to sound like a n00b - this is a project for me and may take some time...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to know thanks - command line is okay but I prefer the aid of a GUI. :o

How easy is webmin to set up?

Sorry to sound like a n00b - this is a project for me and may take some time...

Pretty easy..

Install Ubuntu server on your machine, update it.
    sudo apt-get update

then install the updates and reboot into the new kernel (It it hasn't kept it behind, mine did).
    sudo apt-get upgrade

You may need to run 'dist-upgrade' instead of upgrade if it keeps back packages.

Finally run.
    sudo reboot

Then install webmin, you may need to install some missing packages.
    sudo apt-get install perl libnet-ssleay-perl openssl libauthen-pam-perl libpam-runtime libio-pty-perl apt-show-versions python

Pull webmin from the web
    wget http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/project/webadmin/webmin/1.580/webmin_1.580_all.deb

Then install it (you may need to use the full path instead of ~ (~ means your home directory) if you've downloaded it to another directory).
    sudo dpkg -i ~/webmin_1.580_all.deb

You then open your browser (on another machine) to https://your.server.ip:10000 and login as the user you selected when you installed Ubuntu server.

Oh, when you're installing Ubuntu server make sure you install samba and openssh (Or rather select them when asked what packages you want installed).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Put lots of media stuff in a normal home computer, right click and Share it.

2) Stream it

3) Wonder why people bother faffing around with a NAS box or server.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    1) Put lots of media stuff in a normal home computer, right click and Share it.

2) Stream it

3) Wonder why people bother faffing around with a NAS box or server.

Because they can be low power devices that are kept on 24/7. I have an HP MediaSmart WHS box, it's small, low power and permanently connected to the network via homeplugs. I use it to do backups of all PCs in the house and as a media serving box. Also my main device is a laptop, how can the rest of my family get access to media if I've taken my laptop out of the house?
  • Options
    DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe you mean expert or technically knowledgeable person on the subject of media centres.

Or should we start addressing, non technical/expert users as dumbarses. "FAO Dumbarse, this meets your needs from what you've written", it has a nice ring to it :)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Because they can be low power devices that are kept on 24/7. I have an HP MediaSmart WHS box, it's small, low power and permanently connected to the network via homeplugs. I use it to do backups of all PCs in the house and as a media serving box. Also my main device is a laptop, how can the rest of my family get access to media if I've taken my laptop out of the house?

If I remember the mediasmart box is the same hardware as the microserver which can be had for around £150.

Also WHS is a pretty good operating system. Its based on W2K8 with a nice GUI front end. However microsoft seem to have less focus on it for some reason.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/windows-home-server