Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dessert has won it... for Richard. I don't like it as much as the Fairground one - was that last year?
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    richard having a tanty fit now...is this episode a tribute to johnny mountain?
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard is being a bit "precious" - he did nail the desert, he should be pleased

TBH - i didn't think any of it was funny, it's all down the flavours this week
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    richard having a tanty fit now...is this episode a tribute to johnny mountain?

Still really want to see what his main might have been.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    As a prize, the judges should give the winner a copy of the brief.

Also, the most laughs Lenny Henry's had in years in this show.
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Phew.
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vixyvic wrote: »
    The dessert has won it... for Richard. I don't like it as much as the Fairground one - was that last year?

That was street party year - so the year before last, I think.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay, roll on the finals next week, hour long programmes every night :):):)
    Forum Member
    well i said he'd win before they made any food on monday...everyone who has michelin stars and hasn't made it through in previous years have been put through whether they deserved it or not....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    How proud do you think they did wales once they seen the other regions?
    Forum Member
    Biggest funnies tonight: "Richard's tried hard to meet the Comic Relief brief..." and "Maryanne has made a great effort...".

Whoever is writing the copy for the voice-over is the hero of the week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whodini wrote: »
    How proud do you think they did wales once they seen the other regions?

Not very really, in those terms. The Lenny Henry plate should have been Rhod Gilbert..

And involved an "Award-Winning Mince Pie" :D
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well i said he'd win before they made any food on monday...everyone who has michelin stars and hasn't made it through in previous years have been put through whether they deserved it or not....

And he did against the completion he had this week.

Mary Ann was getting v touchy feely towards the end :D

I think Oliver had pulled the cracker with the motto 'like Mary Ann, critique Richard'.
    Forum Member
    Hope Richard sanitised his right cheek after that show.
    Forum Member
    fender101 wrote: »
    Not very really, in those terms. The Lenny Henry plate should have been Rhod Gilbert..

And involved an "Award-Winning Mince Pie" :D

Or Max Boyce.
    Forum Member
    mindyann wrote: »
    And he did against the completion he had this week.

Mary Ann was getting v touchy feely towards the end :D

I think Oliver had pulled the cracker with the motto 'like Mary Ann, critique Richard'.

i agree Richard's food looked better than Mary-Ann's,but the only quick glance in the direction of the brief was choice of plate...a red plate isn't funny neither is lenny henry or one that's like a road kill pig.....my main point was my theory about chef's who have tried and failed before have got through whether they ave been put up against duffers or for some other reason....
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Well, it wasn't the train-wreck I think most of us expected! :eek:

Pretty weak week all round though, and I'd be disappointed if any of the dishes made it to the banquet. Having said that, all the desserts have been fairly mediocre throughout the series, and I have a horrible feeling that the "comedy plate" could tip it for Richard.
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary Ann seemed to spend all her time gurning and when she was tearing into the langoustine there was a long stream of spittle coming from her mouth :eek:

She hasn't looked clean the whole week :mad:
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    I loved the look of the pig plate. Its contents, I mean.
    Forum Member
    more comedy plates....richard loves "fun" plates i bet he's a right laugh (in the china department only)

Yeah, his stand-up would be awesome, with that deadpan, dead eyes, monotone delivery.
    Forum Member
    i agree Richard's food looked better than Mary-Ann's,but the only quick glance in the direction of the brief was choice of plate...a red plate isn't funny neither is lenny henry or one that's like a road kill pig.....my main point was my theory about chef's who have tried and failed before have got through whether they ave been put up against duffers or for some other reason....

Agreed. My memory may be off, but there seems to have been a lot of "third-time-lucky"s getting through this season. Off the top of my head are this week's and Ray (Chris Fearn was robbed, as his Cow Pie should have made it into the Banquet, being the best dish that represented the brief all season), but I'm sure there were more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fustacluck wrote: »
    Agreed. My memory may be off, but there seems to have been a lot of "third-time-lucky"s getting through this season. Off the top of my head are this week's and Ray (Chris Fearn was robbed, as his Cow Pie should have made it into the Banquet, being the best dish that represented the brief all season), but I'm sure there were more.

'greed, he should have been put through for that cow pie alone. Have there ever been so many perfect 10s and amazing comments for a dish before. And it fitted the brief.
  • elven62elven62 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    TrishaS wrote: »
    Mary Ann seemed to spend all her time gurning and when she was tearing into the langoustine there was a long stream of spittle coming from her mouth :eek:

She hasn't looked clean the whole week :mad:

Couldn't agree more..that snotty spittle made me feel a bit sick. I'm sure there are a lot of chefs in places I've eaten that maybe aren't exactly pristine but I wouldn't eat in her place after that.. She just looked so grubby and unkempt all week..yuck :(
    Forum Member
    fender101 wrote: »
    'greed, he should have been put through for that cow pie alone. Have there ever been so many perfect 10s and amazing comments for a dish before. And it fitted the brief.

Didn't it only get two 10s, though, despite three of the judges telling Chris at the end how amazing it was (and Pru having to "eat her words" after dismissing it completely immediately)? I seem to remember Oliver only giving it an 8, which given the comments he made seem to have dropped points when they were adding up at the end, making it a "close" loss for Chris. Someone else gave it a nine. I remember being shocked when they displayed the scores along the bottom of the screen for that dish.

Maybe, retrospectively, they should ditch the brief and make it "Third time's a charm", as that's what it seems to be in spirit.

Also, if they get to change one dish, I'm looking forward to seeing Ray change one to be inspired by the twin towers, to match his own theme of "celebrating disasters a year or two past their significant anniversaries".
    Forum Member
    elven62 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more..that snotty spittle made me feel a bit sick. I'm sure there are a lot of chefs in places I've eaten that maybe aren't exactly pristine but I wouldn't eat in her place after that.. She just looked so grubby and unkempt all week..yuck :(

And when you bear in mind it's only filmed over two days, it's incredible that she couldn't sort out her appearance for that long (she did realise she was being filmed, right?)

And the latest scrape at the bottom of the barrel for "comedy" guest judges is next week's Patricia Hodge. Sure, she's a decent actress, but comedian? Her two, very fragile, links to comedy would be acting in an ill-advised attempt at re-launching a 70s sitcom twenty years later when the majority of the cast who made it funny had died, and a show where the pinnacle of humour is falling down. I'm hoping they have a different guest judge for each course, but if this is an example of the comedy that's supposed to inspire the chefs, maybe the producers got the series they deserve.