Options

The DWP should be ashamed of themselves

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
Forum Member
I have been looking for work for a while now, had the odd agency job, but that was only temp. Anyway, I was warned about this sanction system getting tougher by my adviser. I wasn't dodging work so had nothing to worry about...

Then they started having me in more often to see my adviser, to show that I had actively been looking for work. No problem, as I was. Then the beginning of this year I started having serious problems at home. I won't go into that on here. Not long after the problems at home, my missus started getting ill. The Doctors didn't seem to know what was up. In the end we put it down to the stress we were under at home.

During all this, I had to keep my head on top of looking for work, and making sure I didn't miss any appointments at the JC. One time I went to sign on, and the Woman, seemed to have a chip on her shoulder, marching me into a small room to sign in to my email account, to prove I'd been sending my CV out. She didn't look best pleased when there was about 30 odd sent that week. Think she was hoping to catch me out. Anyway back to the desk we go, I sign and she says "see you next time".

Anyway a fortnight later I go to sign again, and my adviser tells me I should have been there last week. Seems the nice woman before, forget to point out she's moved my next appointment to the following week... Ok I should have checked the date, but had been signing fortnightly for quite a while and had a lot on my mind.

Anyway, I got a sanction and lost just short of 6 weeks money for me and my partner.

Recently my partner has been diagnosed with cancer, seems the doctors failed to look for it because she is young.

I sent a letter to the DWP sanction department or whatever they call it, explaining what was happening at the time and that we are having financial difficulties. And could it be overturned. 8 week later, a phone call "no you cant, because you got your dates wrong on the appeal form"...

Luckily we have sorted our money issues out in the 8 weeks it took them to tell us no. And I can't be bothered wasting anymore energy with them and can do without the stress.

Sorry for the rant, and not really looking for any advise, just wanted to let people know how ruthless these people are.

Comments

• Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason why the claimants for Job Seekers Allowance appears to go down each month on the news, is due to shit like this.

The UNEMPLOYMENT figures are not going down, just the claimants of JSA, due to (petty & deliberately misleading) sanctions.

There's still shit loads of unemployed, but they don't show up in the figures because they can't claim due to petty hitlerites on a power trip behind the desk.

This is how Mr Duncan-Sly-Smith and Mr David Cameroon & Nick Dregg and the Conservadems are manipulating the jobless figures.

Gotta make sure we tar all benefit claimants with the same brush now....even though the biggest draw on the benefit pot are pensions.

/rant
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    The reason why the claimants for Job Seekers Allowance appears to go down each month on the news, is due to shit like this.

The UNEMPLOYMENT figures are not going down, just the claimants of JSA, due to (petty & deliberately misleading) sanctions.

There's still shit loads of unemployed, but they don't show up in the figures because they can't claim due to petty hitlerites on a power trip behind the desk.

This is how Mr Duncan-Sly-Smith and Mr David Cameroon & Nick Dregg and the Conservadems are manipulating the jobless figures.

Gotta make sure we tar all benefit claimants with the same brush now....even though the biggest draw on the benefit pot are pensions.

/rant

Well wrote. Come next election again the tories will not win. They have not won one since 1992:)
    If the tories do get elected in 2015 without the help of that dead party the LIB Dems.
    Then they will stop free health care, stop help for ill people. They will also STOP workers from going on strike. Stop housing support for people under 25 but will not stop the abuse of the tax system for there rich friends.
    So its up to you and everyone here who has the vote.
    Use IT even, if you want to vote tory
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Just read your post. That is truly disgusting. I hope things improve for you both and that your partner's cancer is cleared really quickly. Rant ahead, there is always someone on here to listen to you. Best wishes.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lucius12 wrote: »
    Well wrote. Come next election again the tories will not win. They have not won one since 1992:)
    If the tories do get elected in 2015 without the help of that dead party the LIB Dems.
    Then they will stop free health care, stop help for ill people. They will also STOP workers from going on strike. Stop housing support for people under 25 but will not stop the abuse of the tax system for there rich friends.
    So its up to you and everyone here who has the vote.
    Use IT even, if you want to vote tory
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Just read your post. That is truly disgusting. I hope things improve for you both and that your partner's cancer is cleared really quickly. Rant ahead, there is always someone on here to listen to you. Best wishes.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    wrote: »
    Ok I should have checked the date.

Regardless of any issues, there your problem
  • Options
    Forum Member
    avasgranny wrote: »

Thanks, I'm more mad that the reason for declining my appeal is down to me getting the dates wrong. They have everything on their system, and can clearly see I have a lot on my mind recently. They could have simply adjusted it. It's like they've got out of it on a technicality.. When they told me the reason, I just hung up. No more energy will be wasted on them, they can can keep it. We have more important things to focus on.

Just glad there are organizations like Mcmillan out there, who have been amazing, people who actually care about their fellow beings. Total opposite to the DWP.
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

/rant

I'm another of the missing statistics. I have just left university and although I have a job waiting I cant start until I am registered (the degree was for a registered profession). I cant face signing on so am stringing out a meager pot of savings supplemented by selling academic text books and some craft items I make on ebay. I have no doubt I will be well into the red before I start work though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rouseclout wrote: »

I take it you work?

You don't think 6 weeks without money is a little harsh for missing an apointment?

Or would you be happy if that was the policy at your work, Turn up late or miss a meeting, regardless of reasons. 6 weeks without wages?
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Sadly, Tory ideology is to first demonise people in need of benefits and have the rest of us "hard working taxpayers" think of them as leeching scum, before kicking them whilst they are down by employing people to try and catch them out in order to take the meagre benefits away from them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Sadly, Tory ideology is to first demonise people in need of benefits and have the rest of us "hard working taxpayers" think of them as leeching scum, before kicking them whilst they are down by employing people to try and catch them out in order to take the meagre benefits away from them.

Bang on.

Get the working class angry about and on the backs of the unlucky ones without a job.

They'll be too busy getting mad at them to notice what we're up to.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member

/rant

It all depends on where you live...

If you are in somewhere within an hour of London - there is no trouble findng work (as long as you are presentable and speak English).
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The streets of London are not paved with gold. I am applying all the time and I am getting no where. It is not so easy, to get a job here.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP the DWP don't seem to care about the people behind the claim who need the money and seem to take every little opportunity to stop your money.
    I'm not on JSA but ESA and they reduced then suspended it for months because the decision maker couldn't make a decision due to not having enough paperwork despite sending them everything they asked for. They also lie and try to confuse you with arguing about dates etc and say they will call back in three hours when they don't and seems if you take paperwork in to get it sent off you have to demand a receipt because surprise surprise it gets lost.
    Hope you and your partner are okay
  • Options
    Dean DareDean Dare Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are truly heartless, I've got Parkinson's I'm not gonna get better but I still have to get doctors notes for them every 6 weeks to prove that I'm not cured. I was put into the wrong group and although I told them I had to get my pd nurse (who is very busy) to contact them to sort it out so I can get some ESA. Last year fi had to finally quit work because of pd and when I told DWP you would've thought I had killed someone. Their attitude sucks
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

Sorry to hear of this. I can only suggest being seen to comply with all of their requirements (no matter how petty/stupid/etc.) so they've got no excuse to apply any sanctions but, if it does ever happen again, then by all means go to the nearest Citizens Advice Bureau office to get help to overturn the sanction - http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm. I hope that things get better for you and your family. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Sorry to hear of this. I can only suggest being seen to comply with all of their requirements (no matter how petty/stupid/etc.) so they've got no excuse to apply any sanctions but, if it does ever happen again, then by all means go to the nearest Citizens Advice Bureau office to get help to overturn the sanction - http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm. I hope that things get better for you and your family. :)
    I'd been in and out of work, for a couple of years. Very briefly in work full time, as my trade is over run with agencies. I was always looking for work, and was never late to sign or attend interviews. Just this one time I was caught out, in my honest opinion tricked into a sanction. She got me when I wasn't on the ball, due to problems at home. I was half way though the recruitment process for a full time job, and the interview was a week after my partners diagnosis. I'm now her carer, but hopefully we'll beat this, and hopefully get the job I was after and never have to be under their control again.

Thanks for the kind words. :)
  • Options
    nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your partner having cancer, thats heartbreaking but remember she is young and it is very treatable today compared to past years

I implore you to approach citizensadvice as suggested by the previous poster

Aside from the fact you are out of pocket through the sanction, the other reason you should contend their decision is should you end up sanctioned down the road, it would be significantly longer than the first (they go up to 3 years), so you really want to get that over turned

CAB will also advise you of relevent services which might alleviate some of the pressure you are under.. don't allow DWP to fob you off like that

Good luck with resolving this, and I hope your OH makes a recovery
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the DWP are a load of heartless bastards!

Just wondered in you've tried to claim ESA and PIP for your wife?

If your wife does get PIP, then you might be able to claim Carers Allowance and then sod Job Center Plus.

Try the yourable.com forum for advice
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rouseclout wrote: »

Not entirely accurate (the grammar too) when the people who are supposed to be there to help you put obstacles in the way and deliberately omit certain information in order to set you up to fail.

The 'problem' here isn't that the OP has had personal problems, as the OP continued to attend his regular appointment AND continue his job search considering the immense pressure, the 'problem' is that the JCP moved the goal posts and deliberately or incompetently failed to advise him of the change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gazbaz77 wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm more mad that the reason for declining my appeal is down to me getting the dates wrong. They have everything on their system, and can clearly see I have a lot on my mind recently. They could have simply adjusted it. It's like they've got out of it on a technicality.. When they told me the reason, I just hung up. No more energy will be wasted on them, they can can keep it. We have more important things to focus on.

Just glad there are organizations like Mcmillan out there, who have been amazing, people who actually care about their fellow beings. Total opposite to the DWP.

I would go higher and send an email to either your local mp or Ian (IBS) Duncan Smith himself. When I am having problems, I try the bottom and they I go right to the top.
    Good luck :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gazbaz77 wrote: »
    Bang on.

Get the working class angry about and on the backs of the unlucky ones without a job.

They'll be too busy getting mad at them to notice what we're up to.

In my opinon the middle classes are worse. Most people who are working class are fully aware of how the dwp work and understand that they are only a few steps away from the dole themselves. The Middle-classes however generally do not understand or know much about the dole and most buy into what lies the government are selling them.
    When the working classes get annoyed with people on the dole it is usually because they are working 40+ hours a week and not getting much more moeny than those on the dole (when you include rent, ctax and free prescriptions etc) but this is the fault of the government for not insisting on a working wage rather than a minimum wage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dean Dare wrote: »
    They are truly heartless, I've got Parkinson's I'm not gonna get better but I still have to get doctors notes for them every 6 weeks to prove that I'm not cured. I was put into the wrong group and although I told them I had to get my pd nurse (who is very busy) to contact them to sort it out so I can get some ESA. Last year fi had to finally quit work because of pd and when I told DWP you would've thought I had killed someone. Their attitude sucks

Are you claiming DLA? Your ESA will be changed automatically if you get a full award of both componants of DLA. It is worth filling in the form.

Edit I think it is pips or something now? Not DLA.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 'good people' of Chingford who vote for the sheer rotten scumbag who is Iain Duncan Smith should read your plight & hang their heads in shame. That failure of a man is a disgrace even for a Tory
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Despite the troubles of OP i have to say this is a lovely thread , very refreshing to not see anti-benefit people bashing their fellow human beings who are not scroungers but actually looking for work.
    All comments have been fair , kind & helpful other than one.
    So rare you see it these days. - Also people talking actual sense for once about it all.
    Iain duncan douche as i call him , don't get me started on my feeling for him. Pure evil >:(

In one thread i have seen actual deaths threats yet DS have take zero action on these people. Avoid the tv programme thread for the channel 5's life on the dole. The read is very upsetting.
    One comment was even sterilise unemployed men & give unemployed women forced abortions - coming from a woman also.
    Yes i see why they get annoyed growing up i hated those that got free school meals wile my dad worked every day.
    But now i am on the other side & know how tough it is.
    Nasty comments are uncalled for.

You can't support the dwp & their policies when they don't actually help people into work. No more jobs are being created. They are just sanctioning people instead.
    Employers are the ones messing around people yet don't get any stick. Thousands applying for several jobs. Sending dozens of emails a day & getting no response.
    Though benefits does cover the basics it is hardly a life of luxury.
    Yes we don't go out to work but that is the only good thing & even that can get some people down eventually.

Anyway OP , not much advice i can give.
    My fiancé has been in & out of warehouse agency work because that is literally all he can get. It is no life at all , no stability. Can be let go at any moment.
    One of your posts says you are now her carer so surely you should be on esa etc. That kind of thing.
    Contacting citizens advice might be good. Make sure you are on the right benefits. Apologizes if this is already sorted , can't quite gauge that from the posts.
    No one should be left to rot with no money especially someone who is ill. Your partner needs help & support at the moment.
    I am sorry to hear of her diagnosis , and i wish you both well.

Screw the DWP :p
  • Options
    rds60hrds60h Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GazBaz77 what has happened to you is nothing short of a national disgrace !! But an even greater disgrace is that you are not an isolated case !!
    I hope that the situation that you and your wife find yourself in ends up with a good outcome. Can I suggest that you visit the website that I will post at the end of this, as I am sure that you both will be able to gain some help and support and financial help and advice from here, because this is a Charity that has the specialist type of knowledge that the likes of Citizen's Advice just doesn't have or know about.
    Good Luck and my Best Wishes to you both.
    https://www.maggiescentres.org/our-centres/maggies-online-centre/