Options

What do you personally consider as old

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
Forum Member
Im only now thinking of myself as middle aged, however I have just heard someone in their early thirties being classed as "old"

Comments

• Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    70 and up but to me people are as young as they feel. Until they classify themselves as "old" then I won't either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    rbdcay wrote: »
    70 and up but to me people are as young as they feel. Until they classify themselves as "old" then I won't either.

Same :)
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was 14, 30 seemed ancient. Now I'm in my 40's I think 50 is positively youthful.

I don't really think for people as old until their mid 60's
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the person I think. I know a 93 year old who I don't consider to be old. He is full of energy and enthusiasm.
    I know someone else who is 60 and the total opposite, no interest in life and seem content that way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old depends on how old you are, so anything over double my current age is what I'd consider "old".

But then it also depends on the person and how healthy they are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say once you're in the final quarter of the average life expectancy of your country then you're officially old. You're not as old as you feel - your birth certificate doesn't lie ;-)
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on the person, their background and environment. I wouldn't consider someone who is 70 to be old if they were active, positive and open minded. I would consider someone in their 50s old if they lead an unhealthy lifestyle and were generally ignorant and closed minded.

If I was generalising, I'd say 80+
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that your view of old depends on your age.

80+ is old.

Snaaaap. Above's right.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    It depends on the person I think. I know a 93 year old who I don't consider to be old. He is full of energy and enthusiasm.
    I know someone else who is 60 and the total opposite, no interest in life and seem content that way.

I'm sure we all know someone who was born old. There is a guy in work who isn't yet 40 and yet he has had an air of 'old man' about him since he was in his mid 20's
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,016
    Forum Member
    Im only now thinking of myself as middle aged, however I have just heard someone in their early thirties being classed as "old"

Who was doing that? An eight year old? I refuse to believe any adult with a reasonable level of intelligence would class someone in the thirties as old.

80s is old.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me being old is a state of mind.
    I know some "old" people who just have a wonderful outlook on life and never seem old.

I know some young people who have such a crappy, negative outlook they seem old and finished

So I cant really define what is old to me.
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Who was doing that? An eight year old? I refuse to believe any adult with a reasonable level of intelligence would class someone in the thirties as old.

80s is old.

I imagine it depends on the context. In most walks of life 30 is nowhere near old but a footballer who is in early to mid-30's could be described as old in terms of the life span of their particular job.

Personally old to me is my age plus 30-40 years
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 21, and consider 50 to be old.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    My grandfather always told me it was the point at which one has to gather their strength to get out of a chair. I'll stick with that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I'd say like 70?

I mean I'm 22 and whilst I wouldnt say I was old, i'd say a lot of "youth" things don't appeal to me; i.e. drinking excessively, clubbing holidays, and such.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Depends on the person, their background and environment. I wouldn't consider someone who is 70 to be old if they were active, positive and open minded. I would consider someone in their 50s old if they lead an unhealthy lifestyle and were generally ignorant and closed minded.

If I was generalising, I'd say 80+

That is good news, three years to go before I am officially old. :D

At 77, I feel happier and healthier than I have ever been in my life. I was in the gym by 7.45 this morning, as I am four days a week. I completed by first London Marathon last year, and I hope that it won't be my last.

I know that it is an old cliché, but it is true, age is a state of mind, that is of course if you are lucky enough like me to enjoy good health.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    I'm 21, and consider 50 to be old.

I can assure you that you won't be feeling like that if you are lucky enough to reach 50. ;-)
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_age

I pretty much agree with wiki. I couldn't explain it any better really. some of the other replies seem to reflect some of this, in that people of different ages may have different ideas of being old. but of course in addition to old, you have terms such as elderly
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is good news, three years to go before I am officially old. :D

At 77, I feel happier and healthier than I have ever been in my life. I was in the gym by 7.45 this morning, as I am four days a week. I completed by first London Marathon last year, and I hope that it won't be my last.

I know that it is an old cliché, but it is true, age is a state of mind, that is of course if you are lucky enough like me to enjoy good health.

How's your memory? ;-)
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,016
    Forum Member
    yaristaman wrote: »
    I imagine it depends on the context. In most walks of life 30 is nowhere near old but a footballer who is in early to mid-30's could be described as old in terms of the life span of their particular job.

Personally old to me is my age plus 30-40 years

I'm assuming it wasn't said in the context of a job, otherwise the comment would have been irrelevant to this thread.

Yes, plus 30 - 40 years is a good benchmark. I also like the post about mustering up all your strength to get out of a chair, I will go with that (in the event of just "getting old", not due to illness).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    How's your memory? ;-)

Well, off the top of my head, I started work on Thursday 8th August 1952. I went in the army 16th August 1955, left 16 July 1958, and retired 31st October 2001, so I guess that it is OK for dates anyway. :)
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all relative.

To me, 60 seems old; but to a 13 year old, I would seem old.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'll be 28 in a few months time, 2 years away from 30 makes me feel bloody old. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be 28 in a few months time, 2 years away from 30 makes me feel bloody old. :(

I'll be 30 in 4 years.

The person I feel sorry for most is my mum for having to put up with me for that long. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    I'll be 30 in 4 years.

The person I feel sorry for most is my mum for having to put up with me for that long. :D

Ah, you're only 26, you ain't lived yet dude :D