Mobile Phones Seized After Road Accidents

occyoccy Posts: 65,045
Forum Member
✭✭
Police could seize mobile phones after road accidents to see if that was a cause of the accident if the driver was texting or on the phone.

Obviously the technology on phones now could see people being prosecuted even if they weren't on the mobile as likes of Twitter and Facebook can still be running.

I think this is a brilliant idea as time and time again I see so many idiots still driving using a phone. Even the handsfree kits can cause car accidents, as your concentrating on the conversation than the road.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2706182/Police-seize-mobiles-EVERY-car-crash-Crackdown-calls-texting-wheel-bid-cut-deaths-distracted-drivers.html

Comments

• RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. The police have too much power under the banner of 'suspicion' of being involved in a crime. Including being locked up and seizure of items.

What they should do is clone a phone's memory (or a laptop's hard drive) within a day and return it to you.

The alternative is you are deprived of the items for months or even forever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Even the handsfree kits can cause car accidents, as your concentrating on the conversation than the road.

They could also seize passengers to see if they have been distracting you, or check to see what Spandau Ballet song you were singing along to on Absolute 80's at the moment of impact.

I was under the impression the police already checked your phone if they suspected you may have been on it at the time.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not seize children too? After all, they are even more distracting than mobile phones.

Stupid idea to allow the police to seize phones based on nothing.
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most smartphones can be set up to be wiped on entering the security code wrong more than x amount of times.

Although I did read somewhere once that there was some kind of plug-in iPhone hacking device made available to law enforcement which could bypass the security settings.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get what all the fuss is about, if the phone wasn't in use then what has anyone to worry about

although, as a pedestrian waiting to cross the road, I can pretty much guarantee to see at least one driver on their phone in the short time I'm waiting

maybe the protesters aren't as inocent as they'd like others to believe
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens if the phone in question is not the driver's but is owned by his workplace and contains sensitive data?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was under the impression the police already checked your phone if they suspected you may have been on it at the time.

Yes. I was in a car accident a few years ago and the police asked for my work mobile phone, even though it was in my briefcase on the passenger seat all along. Got the phone back roughly three weeks later when they concluded the investigation.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    What happens if the phone in question is not the driver's but is owned by his workplace and contains sensitive data?

Sensitive data shouldn't be on a phone. It'd be idiotic if s/he doesn't take precautions to encrypt it when it does need to be on the phone.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A country whose roads are the tenth safest in the world really doesn't need more traffic laws, especially when they extend the immoral presumption of guilt that shouldn't be tolerated in a free society.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are plenty of apps out there that will wipe the phones history either as you go along or with a couple of key presses. Yes, they can go to your phone company and get details but I am sure if it is not a fatal or serious accident the police wont dig that deep.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    I don't get what all the fuss is about, if the phone wasn't in use then what has anyone to worry about

although, as a pedestrian waiting to cross the road, I can pretty much guarantee to see at least one driver on their phone in the short time I'm waiting

maybe the protesters aren't as inocent as they'd like others to believe

Um...losing access to an important communication device? Having information compromised considering the reputation of public sector and data protection?

The 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear' bollocks is getting tiresome.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

maybe the protesters aren't as innocent as they'd like others to believe
    The fact that if the police "seize" the phone as potential evidence, they could hold it for weeks, or even months before actually looking at it and returning it to you. Imagine what that could do to a business user.

All they need to do is check it there and then, not seize it take it away for months.

Secondly, as a driver waiting for pedestrians to cross the road, I can pretty much guarantee to see at least one on their phone, not concentrating on their surroundings, in the short time I'm waiting. Works both ways ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get shunted from behind.
    Phone police.
    Phone family to let them know you're alright.
    Get fined and disqualified for being on phone when you got slammed into.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great idea, too many idiots use the phone while driving, I see it all the time. How about seizing the phones of those ignoramouses who walk along the pavement head down, phone in hand, not looking where they're going and barge into you.?
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see far too many people texting or using their phones whilst driving. Sat navs are a problem too - I've seen cars swerving all over the dual carriage way while the driver was tapping buttons and steering with one hand.
    Police should also establish whether driver / pedestrian had earphones in at the time of any accident. Stupid jogger ran out in front of me the other week because she had earphones in. Had she not been listening to music she would have heard the engine - as it was she didn't even look over her shoulder to see if there was traffic. I see quite a lot of drivers with earphones in and I think it insulates you and makes you less aware of what's going on around you.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get what all the fuss is about, if the phone wasn't in use then what has anyone to worry about.
    The fact that it may be gone for a number of weeks.
    Are we supposed to replace it and get a new number?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »
    I've seen cars swerving all over the dual carriage way while the driver was tapping buttons and steering with one hand.

Should you not be concentrating on your own driving rather than straining to see what somebody else is doing in their car?
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »
    I see quite a lot of drivers with earphones in and I think it insulates you and makes you less aware of what's going on around you.
    Is that any different to listening to loud music?
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    555 wrote: »

Thanks for that.

I remember when the breathalyser was brought in and the sustained campaign that was mounted against it. All sorts of scare stories were published. Today no one would object to them, but at the time it was "I'm a fee man, I do not consent to the police taking my breath", and "they will be taking your children because then can cause you to lose control". you have to laugh at the idiots who said that.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the police did this anyway under certain circumstances.

I have already been flagged down after pulling out of a petrol station, the police were fine , she told me what she though I had done, I hadn't, she asked to look at my phone I didn't have an issue, I was on my way in a couple of minutes.

Another time I was caught, got a fine.

If this idea takes hold it's going to be stop & search all over,---it's going to get abused and a phone could be taken away for weeks,--months on end, even if you are the innocent party.

And what would taking the phone away prove in most circumstances, how will it prove the time of the accident and someone was using a phone at that moment.

There are other distractions, like kids or you take a call, that winds you up so much, call ends, 5 minutes later, you're in an accident.

The only way I could see such a method working is if a law was passed that stated,---all drivers must have their phones switched off when driving but I bet there is flaws in this idea to.
  • woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    The fact that it may be gone for a number of weeks.
    Are we supposed to replace it and get a new number?

Plenty of people survived ok back in the day when mobile phones didn't exist, I'm sure you'll be fine, why not use your home phone or a public phone if you're really desperate. Theres more to life than Twatter and Facebook as well.

And to the comment about children distracting you, well, children are meant to be kept UNDER CONTROL in a moving vehicle.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Driving has come worse over years since mobile phones were introduced. Used to.get done for not wearing a seat belt. The law needs to be tougher on these to idiots. The warnings are there, but not tough.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    The only way I could see such a method working is if a law was passed that stated,---all drivers must have their phones switched off when driving but I bet there is flaws in this idea to.
    Such as phones being used as sat-navs and music sources for example? There are technical initiatives to automatically stop a phone being operated if the car is moving which would be a better approach. So you could use it as a sat-nav but only by telling it the route and starting navigation while parked.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I'd have absolutely no problem with the police taking my phone away to check it in the event of an accident.

I'm sick of seeing idiots that still persist in using theirs when driving.