iPhone 5c -v- Samsung S5

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
Forum Member
I am due and upgrade and not sure which to go for. I have an iPhone 4s at present and have been happy with it on the whole. However, I previously had a Samsung Galaxy S3 which I liked apart from the battery life. My OH has the Galaxy S4 and I really like the look of it but I'm not sure about battery life. I also have a Samsung tablet and the battery life on that is rubbish, it loses power very quickly and takes ages to charge compared to the iPhone. EE have said the iPhone 5C will be £35 upfront cost (or £50 for the 5S) which I don't mind paying if it is worth it.
So, does anyone have any advice which one I should go for please, besides the points I have already made?

Comments

• PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    There's a specification comparison here. :)

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5690&idPhone2=6033
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Thanks Pencil, will have a read.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samsung S5 will walk it on paper, for a start its this years model and the iPhone is last years. Also iPhones dont exactly have class leading specs even when they are brand new out.

It will come down to which you prefer using, a bigger phone with more power but less polish in the software or a smaller, very polished, but more restrictive phone. I know one thing though, I'd expect the S5 to walk it for battery life.
  • iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am due and upgrade and not sure which to go for. I have an iPhone 4s at present and have been happy with it on the whole. However, I previously had a Samsung Galaxy S3 which I liked apart from the battery life. My OH has the Galaxy S4 and I really like the look of it but I'm not sure about battery life. I also have a Samsung tablet and the battery life on that is rubbish, it loses power very quickly and takes ages to charge compared to the iPhone. EE have said the iPhone 5C will be £35 upfront cost (or £50 for the 5S) which I don't mind paying if it is worth it.
    So, does anyone have any advice which one I should go for please, besides the points I have already made?

The iPhone 5c is the iPhone 5 in a coloured shell and slightly improved hardware tweaks (noticeably LTE on all of the UK networks rather than just Three/EE.)

The S5 comes with a "power-saving" mode that'll turn off certain functions if you wish to preserve battery life.

In terms of the iPhone if you didn't mind waiting the iPhone 5c/5s should drop further in "up-front" price when the next iPhone is announced in September.
    Forum Member
    I find it quite interesting that the comparison shows the Samsung having a better battery life!
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your comments GeordiePaul and iGeek2014.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it quite interesting that the comparison shows the Samsung having a better battery life!

The specs will show that the S5 has a better battery life as it has a larger battery. It also has a larger screen though. Generally the element on a phone which draws most power is the screen, so phones with larger screens need larger batteries.

In actual practice, I think you'd find that both devices will get you through a day of use and then charge overnight, and not much more.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    All things being equal price etc, not sure why you are comparing these two phones. The s5 is vastly superior an all aspects so if they are indeed the same price you would be mad to get a 5c.
  • Brady12Brady12 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should you opt for the 5c, you can use the following voucher code to get up to £129.99 off of the handset cost EEIPHONE5C1407 this is only available online.
    Forum Member
    The specs will show that the S5 has a better battery life as it has a larger battery. It also has a larger screen though. Generally the element on a phone which draws most power is the screen, so phones with larger screens need larger batteries.

In actual practice, I think you'd find that both devices will get you through a day of use and then charge overnight, and not much more.

Thanks for the explanation.
    swordman wrote: »
    All things being equal price etc, not sure why you are comparing these two phones. The s5 is vastly superior an all aspects so if they are indeed the same price you would be mad to get a 5c.

I am comparing them because I have owned older models of both. Having had a further conversation with my provider, it appears the Samsung would be more expensive.
    Brady12 wrote: »
    Should you opt for the 5c, you can use the following voucher code to get up to £129.99 off of the handset cost EEIPHONE5C1407 this is only available online.

The phone is on contract with my husband's business so that would not be of any use to me but thanks anyway.