Options

Humax Foxsat HDR - USB 4GB limit

What's the easiest way to xfer a >4GB recording to my PC? I have a 16GB memory stick currently formatted with FAT32, and I don't want to install a Linux partition. I gather that formatting the stick with ext3 will allow the HDR to copy the recording to it, but that it leaves the file system in a state which Windows can't deal with easily. Is there some Windows utility which can correct the file system status, perhaps?

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once formatted as ext3, use EXT2 Installable Filesystem to read it on Windows by mounting it as an EXT2 volume:

http://www.fs-driver.org/

See also

http://www.fs-driver.org/faq.html#acc_ext3
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Lamprhey wrote: »
    What's the easiest way to xfer a >4GB recording to my PC? I have a 16GB memory stick currently formatted with FAT32, and I don't want to install a Linux partition. I gather that formatting the stick with ext3 will allow the HDR to copy the recording to it, but that it leaves the file system in a state which Windows can't deal with easily. Is there some Windows utility which can correct the file system status, perhaps?

If you formatted the USB flash drive to NTFS ( standard file system for any NT op' sys such as XP etc ) , the 4GB limit will disappear, as this is the file limit for FAT32.

However I am not sure if the Humax system handles NTFS as i havent tried it - I cant see why not ??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danesol wrote: »
    However I am not sure if the Humax system handles NTFS as i havent tried it - I cant see why not ??
    The HDR supports FAT16/32 and EXT2/3 (although EXT2 has been found not to work).

Because it is not supported!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    son_t wrote: »
    The HDR supports FAT16/32 and EXT2/3 (although EXT2 has been found not to work).

Because it is not supported!

Arrr - I didnt know that fact and it says nothing in the manual either as far as i can see.

Yes - u r right, ive just tried with a 1gb USB pendrive and you get a message stating which formats it supports

Thanks for that son_t, i'm still getting to grips with what it can and cannot do at the moment
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a problem. My wiki should help: http://foxsat-hdr.wikispaces.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member

I used Easeus partition manager to create a partition on my ext drive which was formatted as NTFS and then format it as Fat32. Had no problems transferring files and playing them on my PC. Google for it it is free.
    Hope I have understood problem correctly :).
  • Options
    Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member

Not sure what your problem is the Flash Drives will normally be formated to FAT16 or FAT32. Not to sure if NTFS is supported for Flash drives. Either FAT16 or FAT32 should support the full capacity of the Pen Drive and should be seen by the HDR & Windows at least unless you are running a very ancient version of windows.

If you are going to do any serious amount of copying an external USB drive will be a better bet. 500G or 1TB ones are not that expensive
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    janda wrote: »
    I used Easeus partition manager to create a partition on my ext drive which was formatted as NTFS and then format it as Fat32. Had no problems transferring files and playing them on my PC. Google for it it is free.
    Hope I have understood problem correctly :).
    The problem arises when an individual file exceeds 4Gb, a fat32 drive can't have a file bigger than 4Gb (EXT3 can)