Will good music ever return to the charts?

scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
Forum Member
✭✭✭
That question above ^

After hearing Bridgit Mendler - Ready or not. It forced me to write this post, I was waiting for a video on youtube to load and it came up on an advert.... it burnt what was left of my soul.

What good is, is subjective,
But what i am talking about is how much florider, rhianna, david getta, wiliam (not spelling his name how he wants), pitbull, taylor swift, conor maynard, rita ora, and so on etc is the music charts able to take. Or my ears?

Ed Simons recently said when talking about Swedish house mafia -Don't You Worry Child "this post modern everything's ok attitude is killing interesting dance music, it's an awful awful record, that's all" .. I agree.

In the early 2000's late 90's there was a few years of strange and different chart music, groove armada, daft punk, the avalanches etc

What happened? Is it now because music is downloadable from online stores that it is a throw away commodity; for example you can simply just download and delete a track compared to actually going out buying something physical and having an object you have bought? Therefore the artists have become a throw away commodity therefore they just release terrible music? e.g. Bridgit Mendler - ready or not.... ahhh its bad so bad, but it is pumped on adverts for itunes everywhere....so there fore it will be popular

I have completely different tastes to chart music, we all have different tastes in music and I know i'll probably get shouted down about it by some 13 yr old pop evangelist who likes pitbull even though Im sure he has had a stroke and can only rap out of the corner of his mouth ... but does any one think we will ever get any intelligent music in the charts? I have to admit the recent Dizzee Rascal, Bassline Junkie is not a great tune but its plain and simple and just different therefore its good.

So what is intelligent music? Not florider, rhianna, david getta, wiliam (not spelling his name how he wants), pitbull, taylor swift, conor maynard, rita ora, etc etc etc..

What i have written above makes no sense but blame Bridgit Mendler.. its her fault and also being im related to Simon Cowell on my dads side of the family I'm allowed a rant.... its his fault...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »
    That question above ^

After hearing Bridgit Mendler - Ready or not. It forced me to write this post, I was waiting for a video on youtube to load and it came up on an advert.... it burnt what was left of my soul.

But what i am talking about is how much florider, rhianna, david getta, wiliam (not spelling his name how he wants), pitbull, taylor swift, conor maynard, rita ora, and so on etc is the music charts able to take. Or my ears?

Ed Simons recently said when talking about Swedish house mafia -Don't You Worry Child "this post modern everything's ok attitude is killing interesting dance music, it's an awful awful record, that's all" .. I agree.

In the early 2000's late 90's there was a few years of strange and different chart music, groove armada, daft punk, the avalanches etc

What happened? Is it now because music is downloadable from online stores that it is a throw away commodity; for example you can simply just download and delete a track compared to actually going out buying something physical and having an object you have bought? Therefore the artists have become a throw away commodity therefore they just release terrible music? e.g. Bridgit Mendler - ready or not.... ahhh its bad so bad, but it is pumped on adverts for itunes everywhere....so there fore it will be popular

I have completely different tastes to chart music, we all have different tastes in music and I know i'll probably get shouted down about it by some 13 yr old pop evangelist who likes pitbull even though Im sure he has had a stroke and can only rap out of the corner of his mouth ... but does any one think we will ever get any intelligent music in the charts? I have to admit the recent Dizzee Rascal, Bassline Junkie is not a great tune but its plain and simple and just different therefore its good.

So what is intelligent music? Not florider, rhianna, david getta, wiliam (not spelling his name how he wants), pitbull, taylor swift, conor maynard, rita ora, etc etc etc..

What i have written above makes no sense but blame Bridgit Mendler.. its her fault and also being im related to Simon Cowell on my dads side of the family I'm allowed a rant.... its his fault...

Are you being serious? Don't You Worry Child is a brilliant song, you need to get your ears tested or you're too old for chart music!
  • DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that Bridgit Mendler song the one that has the line "I like your face, do you like my song?" If it is then my god I totally understand your rant. I actually LOLd when I first heard it.

And I agree that "Don't You Worry Child" is a terrible song too. I like a lot of Swedish House Mafia material but that song was just dire.

But in answer to your question - I've just come to accept that the singles chart will always be dominated by mainstream pop acts simply because of the money behind them and their commercial airplay. The album charts, on the other hand, is always filled with different material. That Bridgit Mendler song may get to number 1 in the singles chart but there's no way she'll shift albums.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,099
    Forum Member
    One Direction are in the charts now <3
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I agree about the Dizzee Rascal song. I like it, it's so different to the rest of the charts. Same with Thrift Shop.

I agree though, there isn't much strange or weird stuff making the charts anymore. Most of the stuff is quite generic and ordinary.

However, 2013 so far is defintely a huge improvement over 2009-2011. Those were probably the most boring years in chart history, just bubblegum pop everywhere.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Just because you don't like the music, doesn't mean it's not 'good' :rolleyes:

Actually Bridgit Mendler hasn't even charted in the UK and it stalled at like No.49 in America so it doesn't make sense for you to base the rant about the charts, about a song that basically flopped in the charts.

(I actually like the song aswell)
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    When I really think about it, 2009 and 2011 are the only truly AWFUL years for chart music (well, in my memory anyway, I'm pretty young). 2009 was the most boring year in chart music of all time probably. 2011 was probably even worse for the mainstream music scene but at least it's memorable because of Adele-mania.

2012 wasn't the best, but at the same time, it wasn't as bad as the years before it. 2013 could potentially turn out to be really good, but we'll have to see how it goes.

I kind of agree about Don't You Worry Child as well. I like Swedish House Mafia, and I liked the members of the group as solo artists before, and Miami 2 Ibiza was in my top 10 songs of 2010, but Don't You Worry Child really isn't that good. I'd say it's better than Save the World, but I can't understand how it's been so massive. Swedish House Mafia had a lot of media attention because they announced it as their last single, which I think helped the song, but still. I'm happy they had this success though, but I find it a bit baffling. I could've understood better if Greyhound or One had that success.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you being serious? Don't You Worry Child is a brilliant song, you need to get your ears tested or you're too old for chart music!

No-one is too old for chart music, but they can be for the current charts!
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

nah...it was 'safe' uninteresting, generic, bland... i much prefered their earlier releases 'your name' 'miami to ibiza'.
    Gill P wrote: »
    No-one is too old for chart music, but they can be for the current charts!

interesting.... i agree and disagree! lol.

i guess it depends upon the quality of any given track. charts are usually aimed at 'da kidz' its the young who buy singles mainly. but some acts, like take that. have an appeal to older people (original fans).
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I don't think it ever will :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That question above ^

interesting post, well constructed too :)

will good music ever return to the charts? possibly. im sure some decent tracks will... but many people have been complaining about the quality of chart material for as long as i can remember (the 60's).
  • madmark20madmark20 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    NEVER,it will get a lot worse than the £1 fish man i can tell yer.:p I think they should bring back the WOMBLES,and the SMURFS.:D
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madmark20 wrote: »
    NEVER,it will get a lot worse than the £1 fish man i can tell yer.:p I think they should bring back the WOMBLES,and the SMURFS.:D

What is your obsession with the Wombles?! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    It will...when radios lose all their power and influence on the charts and the success of a song is determined by sales and streaming.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's being released isn't much cop either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    It will...when radios lose all their power and influence on the charts and the success of a song is determined by sales and streaming.

..........but radios have always influenced the charts, in both good and bad eras.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a big problem with the singles chart is that singles don't really mean much to alot of people now. I've been thinking this for a while and there was an article about it on DrownedInSound a few weeks ago here - Singles Are Dead! Long Live Tracks...?

My theory is that the type of music listener (or demographic if you like) that buys singles/individual tracks has become alot narrower in the digital age and that's why there is less variety in the singles chart.
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    also being im related to Simon Cowell on my dads side of the family I'm allowed a rant.... its his fault...

Yes, because he's responsible for every artist in the charts right now.

Every year someone will complain about the current music industry....if you don't like chart music, simply do not listen to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, because he's responsible for every artist in the charts right now.

utter cack... cowell is not responsible for every artist in the charts, he never has been, never will be. his acts at the most occupy c10% and usually much less.
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    utter cack... cowell is not responsible for every artist in the charts, he never has been, never will be. his acts at the most occupy c10% and usually much less.

Sarcasm's hard to pick up through the internet, isn't it?
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    I can't believe people can complain of Cowell when Scream and Shout was at the top of our charts for 10 weeks. Tell me was that his fault too? Or what about Calvin Harris, Conor Maynard (who I don't mind as much), Bingo Players, Macklemore and David Guetta? They're all topping the charts right now. Is that also Cowell's doing?

I do miss ABBA and Petula Clark - though I wasn't even around when they were at their peak. I do also miss the early 2000s when pop was more unique than now. Now it's just generic dance tracks (not even with dubstep sound)...which I can't stand. Who listens to these? Why has this become pop(ular)?
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    Sarcasm's hard to pick up through the internet, isn't it?

At least someone got it ;):D
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    And here we go again...
    Now it's just generic dance tracks (not even with dubstep sound)...which I can't stand. Who listens to these?

Hundreds of thousands if not millions of people.
    Why has this become pop(ular)?

Long answer - Because the indie-rock boom of the mid-2000s ran its course, just as the manufactured pop boom of the late 90s-early 00s did before, just as the mid-90s Britpop boom before, just as the early-90s rave boom did before, just as the late-80s Stock/Aitken/Waterman boom did before, just as the early-80s New Romantic synthpop boom did before, just as the late-70s Punk rock boom did before, just as the early-70s Glam rock boom did before, just as the late-60s psychadelica boom did before, just as the early-mid 60s Merseybeat boom did before, just as the 50s rock-and-roll boom did before. And in a couple of years everything will sound different again and there'll be threads on this very forum hating the pop of circa 2018 and wishing David Guetta could come out of retirement.

Short answer - Because it's 2013. :p
  • AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That question above ^

I have completely different tastes to chart music, we all have different tastes in music and I know i'll probably get shouted down about it by some 13 yr old pop evangelist who likes pitbull even though Im sure he has had a stroke and can only rap out of the corner of his mouth ... but does any one think we will ever get any intelligent music in the charts? I have to admit the

recent Dizzee Rascal, Bassline Junkie is not a great tune but its plain and simple and just different therefore its good.

I know what your saying there was a lot of good dance music in mide late 90's,but some rubbish too like the Ibzia fart.I was more in too the Prodigy,The Chemical Brother when they were young and off the hook and Underworld the whole JBO thing.I was also in too the whole French House thing when it started,Daft Punk and Motorbass and Dj Cam along with Kid Loco but most of all Laurent Garnier and the strange Mr Ozio.I did not like much of Groove armada but Goodbye Country House Hello Nightclub was okay with the dub influence.There was good Trip hop and Chilled out back then too but I don't know if there will be a time like that again sadly.But I feel things will change again maybe not chart wise but Mainstream wise try out Martyn.
  • 19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO I like the song's in the chart.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

Like the growth of Poundland stores around the country prove, people want (and these days - need) cheap product.
    The music released now has to be profitable to avoid any losses, the songs you'll notice have mostly been recycled (sampled/nicked) from a time when you needed talent or some star quality to be successful.

Most of the charts will feature the record company's choice of artists, they partner with the radio to air them to the masses who are convinced through adverts and result shows to purchase the product and build the corporations bank balance...

Basically, avoid the chart and hunt for the 'real' music.;)