sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celtic's game on Wednesday is on Premier, confirmed
  • Options
    KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dundalk is live on EIR Sport tonight, and on LaOla1.tv (geo-blocked in the UK & ROI).

http://www.laola1.tv/en-int/live-schedule
  • Options
    wal28wal28 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a shame that BT aren't picking up some of the more interesting European qualifiers - especially Fenerbahce-Monaco and Ajax-PAOK. Both of them look pretty tasty...
  • Options
    ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wal28 wrote: »
    Bit of a shame that BT aren't picking up some of the more interesting European qualifiers - especially Fenerbahce-Monaco and Ajax-PAOK. Both of them look pretty tasty...

A real shame

But Sky Sport never showed these live games either
  • Options
    singhss1singhss1 Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftakeith wrote: »
    A real shame

True. I think there was one time they showed a Northern Irish team play in a qualifier though.
  • Options
    ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    singhss1 wrote: »
    True. I think there was one time they showed a Northern Irish team play in a qualifier though.

linfield v red star belgrade
  • Options
    Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A real shame

They didn't. But they had a lot more to fill the channels with.
    You'd think BT would be falling over themselves to show live sport.
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,177
    Forum Member
    KarlHyde wrote: »
    Dundalk is live on EIR Sport tonight, and on LaOla1.tv (geo-blocked in the UK & ROI).

http://www.laola1.tv/en-int/live-schedule

Thanks for the link. However look a cowboy outfit as you can only watch for free via a real PC. Watching on other devices costs €4.99 a month which seems a right con.
  • Options
    Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    I do remember BBC1 showing a CL qualifier a very long time ago, was it Manchester United? I think that was the 1 and only time you will ever see live CL football on BBC TV!
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do remember BBC1 showing a CL qualifier a very long time ago, was it Manchester United? I think that was the 1 and only time you will ever see live CL football on BBC TV!

BBC Three showed Arsenal v FC Twente one year.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sure they showed Man Utd v Debrecen?
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure they showed Man Utd v Debrecen?

Yes this is correct too I just googled it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linfield v red star belgrade

Sorry the pedant in me can't let this go - I do believe the opposition in question where actually Dinamo Zagreb not Red Star Belgrade.

There has been a wealth of channels pitching in with games from this stage. Indeed as Derek Rae has been at pains to point out on his Twitter feed recently there is something of a free-for-all in rights as the rights reside until the play-off stage with the home club.

This has led to all manner of strange mutations - in the last 10 years I believe the following channels have shown at least a game from these stages:

BBC 1 Scotland
    BBC 2 Scotland
    BBC 3
    BT Sport
    Channel 5
    ITV
    ITV 2
    ITV 4
    Eurosport
    Eurosport 2
    Premier Sports
    S4C
    Setanta Sports
    Sky Sports
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    BBC Three showed Arsenal v FC Twente one year.

Yes, and BBC1 showed both legs of Zalagerzeg vs Man U in 2002 as well, and loads of people went "Eh, is the Champions League on the BBC now?". And they showed Chelsea's qualifier in 2003 too, which was quite big news as it was immediately after Abramovich took them over.

Back in 2000 Leeds' qualifier was on the late and unlamented u>direct, of Finland vs England on pay per view "fame", with the Beeb showing highlights on Match of the Day. And Newcastle's qualifier in 2003 wasn't on telly at all.

Liverpool's qualifying campaign in 2005, when they had to start from the first round, was great fun, ITV had all the home games but one of the away games turned up on Sky, and I think C5 showed another one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Steve Williams;83341537
    Back in 2000 Leeds' qualifier was on the late and unlamented u>direct, of Finland vs England on pay per view "fame", with the Beeb showing highlights on Match of the Day. And Newcastle's qualifier in 2003 wasn't on telly at all.[/QUOTE]

But the game was free to view in the UK thanks to German FTA still available on the analogue channel ARD. I remember persuading a local pub to keep flicking through the channels until they got to it.

The following night Eurosport showed Barry Town-Boavista...and then Dynamo Kiev-Red Star Belgrade! Quality randomness :D

MSK Zilina-Chelsea was on BBC 2 in 2003

I don't know who showed TNS-Liverpool but the game in Liverpool was on ITV 2. Indeed FBK Kaunas-Liverpool was on Sky Sports 1 as was CSKA Sofia-Liverpool in the next round. I believe the day before Everton-Villarreal was on ITV 2. All in all a very confusing picture!
  • Options
    aberboyaberboy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original TNS v Liverpool game was on S4C
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aberboy wrote: »
    The original TNS v Liverpool game was on S4C

What about UK viewers, BBC?
  • Options
    aberboyaberboy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about UK viewers, BBC?

S4C is available in all parts of the UK; and was back then too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aberboy wrote: »
    S4C is available in all parts of the UK; and was back then too.

Yes but who had the rights for UK?
  • Options
    mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    Yes but who had the rights for UK?

S4C showed it exclusively live in the whole of the UK
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think S4C do a sensational job covering the Welsh efforts in Europe - I wish that there were other broadcasters and clubs willing to get involved with coverage.

Having written that, I do understand that clubs are concerned about TV exposure harming their attendance figures and the audience for many of these games is quite low (i.e. not everyone is interested in watching football as I am!) so there isn't exactly a massive amount of viewers clamouring for these games :D

Having said, it was a great pity we didn't get the Dundalk fixture in Belarus on Tuesday and I don't think Genk-Cork is going to be shown here in the UK either.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just long for the day when one of the Welsh or Irish sides actually makes the group stages and shakes things up a bit.
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nowadays it looks less and less likely that a Scottish side make it through

The Welsh and Irish just dont have a chance
  • Options
    samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I just long for the day when one of the Welsh or Irish sides actually makes the group stages and shakes things up a bit.

Just a few years ago Shamrock Rovers made it to the group stage of the Europa League. They were drawn in a group with Spurs - think it was 2011/12 season?
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but with the seedings it is a lot harder to get into a CL Group