What bands should call it a day.

2»

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Metallica - have always been overrated but especially recently
    Whitesnake - At least with Coverdale on vocals as his voice is shot

PS Kiss are still awesome. I loved last years album.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that is exactly why they are still successful, because they do exactly what it says on the tin, every night, without fail.

I wouldn't say I'm a Kiss fan at all, I've got one album of theirs, Double Platinum, but that is the only one you need, but for pure old-fashioned entertainment Kiss are hard to beat live.

The reason why bands like Kiss, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, etc, remain so popular is because they deliver live, every time. A lot of young bands, and the majority of bands I see fall in to that category, would do well to watch these bands, to watch their stage-craft and how to put on a show.

Too many bands today think that turning up, going through the motions for 90 minutes, and walking off, will automatically achieve massive success. It doesn't work like that.

I saw Kiss on the Reunion tour Around 2000 - it was awful. I love Maiden but Christ are they overrated as a live act - ever seen Maiden twice in one tour, utterly pointless everything is so choreographed, right down to the 'banter' Bruce says between songs, every single thing is identical every night. I prefer acts who are more personal with the crowd, spontaneous and change their setlist up on tours, I want to see something unique - a proper live experience, not just a band auto piloting a script that they've do every date.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    I saw Kiss on the Reunion tour Around 2000 - it was awful. I love Maiden but Christ are they overrated as a live act - ever seen Maiden twice in one tour, utterly pointless everything is so choreographed, right down to the 'banter' Bruce says between songs, every single thing is identical every night. I prefer acts who are more personal with the crowd, spontaneous and change their setlist up on tours, I want to see something unique - a proper live experience, not just a band following a script that they've do every date,

I saw Iron Maiden in Belfast a couple years ago and I must say I rather enjoyed it. Never seen Kiss live so I couldn't possibly comment. I enjoyed their last album though.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    All the oldies..its embarrassing. Elton is just turning out to be a pub singer slurring his words...ammmm still stannnin
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate to say this but...maybe Green Day?

They're great live, but their recent output hasn't been. After the success of American Idiot, their next album needed to meet the bar set by that album, and 21st Century Breakdown was a disappointment. However, Uno! Dos! and Tres! were all massively weak and I don't know if Green Day have it in them to write good material anymore.

Although I guess people might have said that when Insomniac was released after Dookie. But even then, I thought Nimrod and Warning were very good albums.
  • Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that is exactly why they are still successful, because they do exactly what it says on the tin, every night, without fail.

I wouldn't say I'm a Kiss fan at all, I've got one album of theirs, Double Platinum, but that is the only one you need, but for pure old-fashioned entertainment Kiss are hard to beat live.

The reason why bands like Kiss, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, etc, remain so popular is because they deliver live, every time. A lot of young bands, and the majority of bands I see fall in to that category, would do well to watch these bands, to watch their stage-craft and how to put on a show.

Too many bands today think that turning up, going through the motions for 90 minutes, and walking off, will automatically achieve massive success. It doesn't work like that.

Take away the special effects and costumes and you have just another average band doing their routine.

I agree with your last paragraph. I just think that there are much better bands from whom they can learn how to put on a great show while being spontaneous, raw and simply have a great time.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slayer, love the band but only having half the members and losing your main songwriter should signal the end for me
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rae_Amury wrote: »
    Take away the special effects and costumes and you have just another average band doing their routine.

I agree with your last paragraph. I just think that there are much better bands from whom they can learn how to put on a great show while being spontaneous, raw and simply have a great time.

You could say that about a lot of bands, though.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    I saw Kiss on the Reunion tour Around 2000 - it was awful. I love Maiden but Christ are they overrated as a live act - ever seen Maiden twice in one tour, utterly pointless everything is so choreographed, right down to the 'banter' Bruce says between songs, every single thing is identical every night. I prefer acts who are more personal with the crowd, spontaneous and change their setlist up on tours, I want to see something unique - a proper live experience, not just a band auto piloting a script that they've do every date.

The "problem" a band like Iron Maiden have is that their live show is so precise now, with lighting and effects for every song, it is difficult for a band to change the set list every night. Very few "big" bands do that now for that reason.

The only bands I would see multiple times on tour would be a band i know who do change their set list, so the likes of Pearl Jam, Dream Theater, and Tool, for example.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    It is the case though. They should have never went down the electropop route...it wasn't them.

No, it's your opinion. They were trying out a different sound, like many bands and singers do. It was hardly a huge departure from their previus stuff, and they still got two top 6 singles, and one other in the top 40 (which was released at the time Dougie was in rehab) from that album. There were some very good, catchy songs on that album in my opinion.

I don't think trying one album that was slightly different counts as an identity crisis.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only bands I would see multiple times on tour would be a band i know who do change their set list, so the likes of Pearl Jam, Dream Theater, and Tool, for example.

Yup - I'd rate Pearl Jam as the best stadium act I've seen.