The Next Companion Character/s S9

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
Forum Member
Who would you want to see as next companion/s for the next series
Weather a male or female or alien so on...
I would love to see a male female platonic friendship join him
or even just a male for a change would love if sarah janes adopted son was to join
or a regenerated jenny and see them look for gallifrey together

Comments

• Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holding out for Missy being the companion
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see a very elderly Ian Chesterton, now chairman of the board of governors at Coal Hill school, given one last trip in the TARDIS.
  • elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sally Sparrow.

(Had to get that in there!)

:D

Seriously though, I'd quite like a plucky, fun character with less baggage with relationships/importance to the timeline, even if they're a one-series wonder. A Donna style character.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    We see these threads pop up every time there is to be a new companion and we all come on and say things like 'I'd like to see a historical companion' or 'i'd like to see an alien companion' and every time we end up with the same old 'girl from 21st century'.

I think the problem is, when it comes to coming up with a companion background, the fans have more imagination than the writers. I can understand it to a certain extent, because obviously it is easier to write for a modern day earth companion than anything else, but I do wish they'd take a chance a do something a little different for a change.

Mostly though, personality is key. We need another companion along the lines of Rose/donna in terms of likeability and being down to earth in their manner and hopefully to not see the likes of a Clara type companion or a hanger on as dull as Danny ever again.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imo it needs to be a human female but it doesn't need to be from our era. Can't go further back than the Victorian era without it bringing too many difficulties so someone from 1880-1940? I suspect part of the issue with that though is they inevitable episodes where she's in her own time cost more to make than if they set them now.

If Moffat had done as planned and kept the Victorian Clara, that would've given the variety needed!
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have liked Osgood as the next companion. This is unlikely now since The Master disintegrated her with her zappy ray gun thing.

"The Master" and "her" in the same sentence - who'd have thought it, eh...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    for poor Osgood I knew as soon as the dr said the all of space and time line that her fate was sealed like rita in The God Complex and many others she was going to die
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That shapeshifter character from Time Heist would be my choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to see a humanoid alien from he future as a companion, and the regular girl from modern Britain.

No reason why there shouldn't be 2 companions.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I still want to see Gillian Anderson in the show, and I definitely wouldn't complain if that happened to be as a companion. British, American, contemporary, historical... I don't care :D
  • Starzz123Starzz123 Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole different time/species was tried with the Paternoster Gang and they weren't the biggest success and made the show slightly cheap.

I want a modern day companion with some twist, I'd prefer a small group of people as opposed to one single companion. It'd give room for different personalities and morals which would be interesting when trying to find a resolution one of those ethically challenging predicaments that the Doctor often finds himself in.
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    The modern-day girl is pretty much a given these days, so why not pair her up with a lad from the (not-too-distant - maybe early Twentieth Century) past? Could be fun to have a guy who's all chivalrous and set in his ways about how to behave around and "look after"/protect the ladies sparring with a modern independant lady.

The romance angle is inevitable (and was often present in the Classic series, too, and I don't see why people forget that_ so this culture clash could lead to a sweet Ben/Polly style relationship.

As for casting, I always thought that Zawe Ashton would be a good companion, but it's probably too close to her turn as Journey for that, but other people I could see as good fits would be Clare Thomas, Sarah Solemani, Holliday Grainger, Antonia Thomas or Antonia Bernath as the girl, and Christian Cooke (we're faraway enough from Ross, now), Daniel Kaluuya, Tom Hughes, Elyes Gabel or Jamie Davis as the lad.
  • Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Like I said in another Thread, I hope it's the Cyborg and the Mutant who come back and join Doc 12 on his adventures. I thought they were really interesting characters and still have a lot of potential to give to the show. It'll also be nice and different to have non-human characters for once without having to worry about the costs of putting make-up on them everyday (a-la the Paternoster Gang). Speaking of which...
    Starzz123 wrote: »
    The whole different time/species was tried with the Paternoster Gang and they weren't the biggest success and made the show slightly cheap.

I personally don't mind them to be honest but I feel they only work well in small doses, which they still are thankfully and hope they stay that way. :)
  • FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd happily welcome a return from Psi as a full time companion. It feels like his abilities as a half-computer could work well for stories, and especially now his memories are restored he has an emotional, human grounding.

That said, I think he'd work better as part of a team with a new female human companion too.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could have been the zygon version of osgood that was killed or maybe the zygon version is still out there stuck in human form.
  • Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    I'd happily welcome a return from Psi

That's his name! Forgot what it was, now I won't have to call him Cyborg anymore! :D
    It could have been the zygon version of osgood that was killed or maybe the zygon version is still out there stuck in human form.

But if the original died, wouldn't the Zygon version seize to exist and just go back to being a regular Zygon?
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would like an Alien companion, earth companions have way to much baggage and suck the life out of the show
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vienna Salvatori!

I'll keep sowing them seeds!
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I'd like two to be honest. A female companion introduced at the start of Series 9 and a male companion introduced in the second half with neither of them attracted to each other or the Doctor.

The female companion could be a historical one, around the same age/or a year or two older than Clara, no child related plots and travels with the Doctor full time, though we do see her time when needed.

The male companion could be working in London but perhaps not actually from it. He might not even be British.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see Twins. And perhaps with an older Doctor have some slightly older companions 35+
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like a lone boy companion for a while as we haven't had one in NuWho.
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Missy HAS to be the next companion (on the Great Gallfey Hunt with her old 'pal' The Doctor). If not I'd say maybe a male similar age to Donna (or a bit older like Evelyn) but from the recent past 20's or early 60's. Normally I'd opt for an alien, non-earth-bound companion but as Capaldi is protraying a more 'alien' version of the Doctor I thin we need contrast.
  • LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missy would be great. The fact her and The Doctor are old enemies could make for some great story ideas and amazing dialogue.

Why does the video game Crash Twin-sanity come to mind :D
  • lannerslanners Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see a Leela style character. That would be pretty good.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    I would like to see Twins.

Arrrggghh Twin Dilemma Flashback :o

Twins and Doctor Who really don't go well together :D